Cool camera

Posted by Luna 
Cool camera
May 17, 2005 12:46AM
Hi Everybody-
A friend I know is looking for a dv camera. It's for a non-profit org, and they only have 600.00 to spend. Anybody have any ideas, or a camera to sell? I know we're all into cameras starting at 3000.00, but I'm really trying to get any info I can to help her out. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks-
Luna
Re: Cool camera
May 17, 2005 01:39AM
If it's just for a non-profit org and good audio isn't on the top of your list, just run up to Best Buy and try out a JVC miniDV camera. I think you can get a nice consumer model that also takes snapshots for about $600.

Then, use something like iMovie or Final Cut Express (cheap if you have a student ID card) for any editing you want to do.

Best of luck,

MB
May 17, 2005 02:22AM
I've used a Sony Digital 8 Camera for a long time 3 or 4 years maybe and it takes pretty damn good pictures it has a 20 X optical zoom it was about $600.00 now there about $400.00 with an LCD display mine doesn't have one.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 17, 2005 02:45AM
Avoid Digital 8. (Sorry Dean).

Stick with miniDV. More compatible with FCP and FCE...and far superior image quality.
May 17, 2005 07:11AM
Check out BHPhotoVideo.com. You'll be able to compare all the brands and sort them by price.
May 17, 2005 07:44AM
I don't think so Shane. Digital 8 is NTSC DV25, is it not? The Digital8 camera's have firewire as well and I have used one many times in FCP with no problems at all. In fact, Luna, your friend will save even more money on tape stock going with D8. The Sony TRV510 is a good D8 camera but you'll have to find one on ebay.

good luck
Kevin Carr
May 17, 2005 08:23AM
I'd recommend miniDV over D8. Same format. Oftent the single chip miniDV cameras seem to have slightly better optics and auto functions.

The most serious problem I have with D8 is lack of "protability" If the tape needs to go to an editor (which certainly can happen). You'll likely have to give the camera to the editor to play/import the D8 tape since D8 playback devices are far more scarce than miniDV.
May 17, 2005 09:34AM
Panasonic makes some 3 chip DV cameras in that price range which I know from experience do a good job. The school here where I teach bought a half dozen last year and they have all held up well. Only annoying thing is that they are quite small and have some very un-intuitive menu operations in order to do manual settings. They are designed as nice point and shoot consumer vacation cameras.

May 18, 2005 12:55AM
Thanks for all the input...
I'm a dv fan myself... the one I'm thinking of is a DCR-HC32... it's a Sony minidv, available at Good Guys for 500 plus tax. Anyone have this camera?
Thanks again!
Luna
May 18, 2005 09:38PM
I picked up a Panasonic 3CCD with Leica Dicomar lens, not to mention the 1.? megapix stills from costco for under $600, Its actually a sweet little machine!

Plus Costco's return policy rocks! I think it's a pv-gs120. The new 150 doesn't have the Leica lens.
May 20, 2005 10:43PM
Wow, that sounds awesome. How long ago was that? And it's 3 chip ... I'm going to check that out.
Luna Antonioni
May 20, 2005 11:16PM
Um..not long ago about 3 months or so; problem is each costco carries something different; I had never seen this there before (and I haven't looked since); so I don't know what you'll find. But Costco is a great place to check stuff out; and if its not your cup of tea, take it back!

I know this sounds bad, but its not my return policy...I had purchased a Canon Digital Rebel (1st version) from Costco quite some time ago; and I just decided I didn't want it afterall, would rather have a 20D instead; so I made sure to keep it in EXCELLENT condition and I returned it (like new) 3 weeks ago - full refund - Still haven't gotten a 20D though.

And yes its a pv-gs120 3ccd chip Leica lens miniDV cam.
May 21, 2005 02:23AM
Cool. That sounds great. Thanks for all the good info!
Luna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics