Broken Powerbook G4 ?

Posted by rgdfilms 
rgdfilms
Broken Powerbook G4 ?
May 23, 2005 07:14PM
Hi, I have a powerbook G4 that is around a year old. It is acting really funny right now. I turn it on, surf the net and whatnot for 10-15 minutes then the spinning color wheel comes on and I can't do anything, not even shut down any of the programs that I have up. I have to manually restart. But get this, when I restart it will sometimes stall on the white apple loadup screen and never go through, or more commonly, it will just be a white screen with no apple logo. I already ran disk warrior but to no avail. What's the deal ? Is my harddrive fried ?

thanks
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Broken Powerbook G4 ?
May 23, 2005 07:17PM

<<< Is my harddrive fried ?>>>

Frying. Back up all your work. Now is good.

What did Disk Warrior say?

Koz
Greg Kozikowski
May 23, 2005 07:34PM

He isn't coming back, is he?

Koz
rgdfilms
May 23, 2005 07:42PM
I dont think he's coming back. Disk Warrior said there were 4% fragmented files and there was some RED text which I should have read but didn't. I can try rerunning it. How do I turn the laptop into a firewire drive ? I was thinking about mounting it to my g5 desktop to save files, and is it difficult to change these hard drives or will I need to take it to Apple?

thanks Koz
Greg Kozikowski
May 23, 2005 07:52PM

Hold "T" while you're booting. That will make the laptop a "Target" drive.

Koz
May 23, 2005 08:04PM
" I was thinking about mounting it to my g5 desktop to save files, and is it difficult to change these hard drives or will I need to take it to Apple?"

It's hard, I'd send it in You might try

Daystar Technology
5018 Bristol Industrial Way #202
Buford, GA 30518 USA
770-614-5400, Fax:7 70-614-0540, Emergency: 404-625-7432
Email:info@daystartechnology.com
[4daystar.com]
These guys are Awesome.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
red text = bad
May 25, 2005 02:16AM
At least in Apple's Disk Utility. My daughter just had her ibook act erratically and when I ran Disk Utility the disk name was in red. The status (small text at the bottom of the screen) indicated the S.M.A.R.T. status as "failing." SMART is the failure sensing technolgy they build into many disk drives today - the drive itself is reporting a problem. The ibook is at Apple for an in-warranty drive swap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics