deck question for FCP

Posted by Noah Pillsbury 
deck question for FCP
May 27, 2005 11:35AM
Hi I am curious if anyone knows of a inexpensive reliable camera that I can use as a deck. I have tried using my DVX100 to capture my 24p material but sometimes it seems to inadvertanly create new masterclips when batch capturing ei breaking up my masterclips. My cannon xl1 is even worse than the panasonic. I have had the opprotunity to use a Sony DSR-45 and it does not have that same problem. So basically the cameras when being used as decks see timecode breaks that aren't there. I am using a dry lube tape as well.
Thanks,
Noah
Re: deck question for FCP
May 27, 2005 12:34PM
unless you have to - i would NEVER use a camera as a deck - ESPECIALLY for BATCH CAPTURE! their mechanisms simply arent built for it.

if you cant afford to buy a proper deck, just rent one on an as needed basis. you can usually find a sony dsr (11, 25, 45, 30, etc...) for $50 - $100 a day
May 27, 2005 03:10PM
Dude, I struggled for years with a cheap Canon (which are notorious for having bad tape mechanisms) and finaly broke down and bought a DSR-11. Totally worth it, has paid for itself in less than a year.
May 28, 2005 12:35AM
Do you think Promax will give us a deal if Noah and I buy 2 DSR 11's I need one as well. since were close to Irvine. I was just pricing decks.
how much are the dsr 11's going for new? A rebate would be cool.
May 28, 2005 04:25PM
I was just looking at the Sony Gvd1000 Minidv Deck Does anyone have any idea how these decks are? They sell for about $1000.00 street.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 29, 2005 09:32AM
That's what I use the GVD1000. Learned FCP by using a Camcoder.
been very happy and takes a good lick'n.

Sailho
May 29, 2005 06:51PM
I'm wondering now what the DSR 11 has over this deck (the Sony GVD1000) as far as Transport robustness, Speed in FFW, RW, Quality of picture. For a non professional editor is the extra $500.00 +- worth it?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 30, 2005 02:12AM
I haven't used the GVD so I can't comment on it's robustness vs. a DSR-11. I have heard that the transport mechanisms in those portables aren't much better than the ones in cameras but I can't confirm that.

What the GVD has in it's corner is portability: you could take it on the road with a powerbook and even use it's screen for an external monitor (although not for color correction). They can double as a director's monitor on shoots too.

The DSR-11 is a robust little deck, no doubt about it. Picture quality should be the same as theoretically you're going DV>S-video out on both decks; you'd have to judge with a production monitor and not the built in LCD. The control repsonse is pretty fast: you hit FF in FCP and it starts right away. When I used a camera for a deck there was always a little pause before it responded. The main thing that distinguishes the DSR-11 is DVCam. It can read and record small and full-size DVCam tapes, while the GVD only does mini DV. If you need the reliability and extra length that DVCam gives you, then that's worth your $500 right there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics