Quicktime Update

Posted by Glenn 
Quicktime Update
May 27, 2005 10:12PM
I am running FCP 4.5 on a dual 2Ghz Power PC with 4.5 Gigs of RAM. About an hour and a half ago I made the critical mistake of downloading the most recent update of Quicktime on my computer. Now, not only will Quicktime not open, but Final Cut will not open either. What have I done? Thanks in advance.

Re: Quicktime Update
May 27, 2005 10:20PM
[www.apple.com]

Removes Quicktime 7 and re-installs Quicktime 6.whatever- it-was.

It's supposed to only work in 10.3.9, but some people have reported it works fine in Tiger, too. I haven't personally seen any proof of this.
May 27, 2005 10:50PM
Thanks Jude. I followed your suggestion and Quicktime now opens. However I cannot open Final Cut. Will I have to re-install that program too?

May 27, 2005 10:59PM
You might, Try repairing permissions using disk utility.

QT 7 No Good for FCP HD 10.39
May 28, 2005 11:30AM
Hey All,

I had the same problem!! It pissed me off. I am a Editor, and read alot of posts, but didn't understand what was going on!

If it wasn't for the Crew on the Web I would've spent hours tryin to figure this out!

Thanks

Mike
Hey, Jude!

Can you share more about how to make the QT 6.5 resintall on Tiger?
I'm one of those fools who tought everything was fine with Tiger.
Until I realized that it had eaten my QT Pro.
I tried to trash it to reinstall my 6.5.2 and now my system, Quicksilver 1 GHz dual, is a mess. I can't make FPC HD work; I can't get rid of QT7, and I can't install 6.5 because it says there's a newer version. And I can't reinstall the QT7 because I had updated to Tiger 10.4.1. QT7 seems to work only on 10.4.

Apple shamelessly decided to steal our QT Pro by not letting us know that we'd lose it by updating to Tiger!

Please help! Paul Saccone, are you listening?
Thanks in advance.

Alberto
Re: Quicktime Update- Shame on Apple!
May 28, 2005 11:50AM
There has been a lot of posting about the QT pro license for v7. The same thing happened with point upgrades of previous versions of QT.

There is a 6.5.2 reinstaller available on the Apple web site.

All the best,

Tom
May 28, 2005 12:41PM
Yry this Alberto

How to Uninstall QuickTime on a Macintosh
[docs.info.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
When QuickTime 7 became available for download, there was an explicit warning about it on the Apple site that you would have to re-purchase the QuickTime Pro license, and we probably all now FCP only works with QuickTime Pro, not just QuickTime. They didn't warn us that Tiger would automatically upgrade to QuickTime 7...but I've learned through the years never to download new versions of OS, FCP or QuickTime when they first come out. You always get burned. QuickTime is such a crucial component to FCP operation that upgrading at first opportunity is a health hazard.
May 28, 2005 08:57PM
Thanks, Mike. However, that page says that "Earlier versions of QuickTime and QuickTime Pro are not supported with Mac OS X 10.4."

Thanks, Tom. But that QT uninstaller does not work with Tiger 10.4.1, which is now on my system.
So, unless Apple shows some mercy and grants the Pro key to previous owners (yeah, right!), my FCP is worthless. At least it should post a new QT7 that works with Tiger 10.4.1. Otherwise, I will have to trash Tiger completely and go back to Panther 10.3.9 and reinstall FCP and everything else.
I don't think I'd pay Apple the $30 ransom to use QT7's Pro features that I lost when Tiger hijacked my QT 6.5.
Anything that I could do in the meantime to make FCP start? Does it really depend on QT?
Where's Paul?
May 28, 2005 09:02PM
Why is your FCP worthless? It has nothing to do with QT pro at all. FCP does not rely on QT pro and most of the functionality in QT pro is available within FCP without it.

FCP does need QT to run, and FCP5 needs QT7 to run. It's a QuickTime based application, but neither application requires the QT pro player.

All the best,

Tom
Derek,

The more I read about people burned by Tiger/QT7, the more I think that Apple went too far this time to squeeze more money from its loyal customers (since '83, 1 Apple IIc and 8 Macs, not counting 4 that I requested at work).
I won't be surprised to hear about a Class Action suit out this whole thing. Forget about the 30 bucks, what about lost time and productivity.
My love/hate relationship with Apple is quickly tilting to the right.
Sorry, Paul from Apple; we still like you.
May 28, 2005 09:23PM
Tom,

My FCP worked fine until I tried to trash QT7 to go back to 6.5. Now it won't start no matter what I do, repair disk permissions, trash prefs, etc. That's why I suspected it was dependant on QT Pro. What about using the Export feature (as QT mov) for burning a DVD? Will the export as .dv still be available without QT?
I'll appreciate a suggestion for getting FCP HD back.
Thank in advance.

Alberto
May 28, 2005 09:32PM
You do have to have QuickTime installed. It's part of the OS and absolutely necessary for FCP to function and even launch.

You don't lose anything in FCP by not having QT Pro. The export function in FCP uses the QT module but absolutely does not require purchase or installing the QT pro player. BTW, why would you export to .dv to go to DVD? That's a format used only by iMovie.

All the best,

Tom
May 28, 2005 10:29PM
as Tom pointed out QT pro player does NOTHING to FCP (and yes QT 7 does work with FCP HD in Tiger, I installed Tiger and FCP HD on a drive and it worked without any problems)

Part of the reason for having to pay for the PRO features is that Apple has to pay licensing fees for all the codecs it unlocks and it is a TOTALLY new version not an upgrade

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
May 29, 2005 12:37AM
I've been happily running FCP HD under Tiger without a pro key since April 28th. Using QT 7.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 29, 2005 01:18AM
Alberto

Re-install QT 7 or 6.5 (doesn't matter.) THEN reinstall Final Cut. Forget the pro key until you get FCP 5. You need QT installed before you install FCP. I suspect all got wacky when you had the QT problems and tried to go back and forth.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Guys:

FCP 5 ships with a QuickTime 7 Pro key. Installed FCP 5 automatically switching QT 7 to the Pro version simply by entering the serial number and registering.

That's what the manual says. So, theoretically, it's a non-issue.

However, having just installed and registered FCP 5 -- my QT 7 is sitll in non-Pro mode.

This is all running under OS X 10.3.9. So, while Apple's heart is leaning in the right direction, I haven't gotten the installer to do what the manual says it should.

Larry
Your friendly, albeit mostly absent, FCP trainer.
May 29, 2005 07:45AM
>>Re-install QT 7 or 6.5 (doesn't matter.) THEN reinstall Final Cut. Forget the pro key until you get FCP <<

What he said.

Quicktime is like central architecture for FCP, but Quicktime Pro is not essential. You probably won't even notice what's missing unless you do a lot of work with the QT Pro app itself. A few web things, like saving some movies to disk might be missing too.

I think though - is Quicktime 7 essential for Tiger?
May 29, 2005 12:00PM
Larry

Manuel is correct if you install Final Cut Studio Full version or Upgrade it will unlock your QT to Pro version, I have just installed it on 4 computers and on all of them QT7 is unlocked to pro I think you don't get that option with only stand alone version of FCP.

Now what is it with this people who fool around with their system and when everything go hay wire the blame Apple, have you ever ask yourself the problem could be you and not Apple?

Thanks

Harry
A big thanks to all who shared tips, advise, and comments.
I'm sure that by having shared my foolishness I helped to keep alive the goal of great forums like ours: We all learn from our and other's mistakes, right?
So, a very special thanks to Michael Horton for making this possible.

BTW: I slept it over, cooled down, and I don't blame Apple; I would use any other PC.
Have a pleasant Memorial Day weekend. (or just a great time anywhere).

Alberto
The workaround until you get FCP5 which will give you the QT7 pro key is to reinstall QT 6.5, then enter your QT Pro number from your FCP4 package. Now copy the QT program over to another drive or partition.

Reinstall QT7 on your boot drive. Now copy the backup copy of your legal copy of QT6.5 over to the boot drive after you renamed it QT6.5 otherwise both copies of QT will be named QT & 6.5 will overwrite QT7. Now FCP4.5 will use QT6.5 Pro & all the programs that recognize QT7 will use QT7.

This will not give you any of the Pro capabilities in QT7, you will need the QT Pro upgrade for this, but you will be able to use FCP4.5 as normal without being penalized for having upgraded to Tiger. This works under 10.3.9. I haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade to Tiger as yet. My FCP Studio upgrade arrives this week & I will be dumping the workaround at this point.

All the best

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics