AT WITS END!!!!!!

Posted by Nick Young 
AT WITS END!!!!!!
June 10, 2005 08:52PM
Hi there all,
It's 0300 in the morning here in Cambridge in the UK.... And i'm in real real real trouble...... FCP 4, 17'' Powerbook running 10.3.7, 1.5 GB RAM.......

Reinstalled OS. Installed FCP as per instructions..... when you click to open the application FCP begins to open then crashes when it gets to "loading audio filters"...... any ideas? I'm cutting an item in less than six hours!

What have I missed...?

Thanks..... i'm online now so i'll keep my eyes open for any kind help anyone can provide.... i'm sure this has all been covered before.... it's just that i'm running out of time!

Nick
Re: AT WITS END!!!!!!
June 10, 2005 09:25PM
Have you dumped preferences and repaired permissions yet?
June 10, 2005 09:29PM
Well now then...... i've just discovered that FCP will open when in "safe boot " mode......... but as the thing isn't opening in normal mode..... it doesnt seem to be "generating" the usual prefs.... i suppose because this is the first time fcp has ever opened on this machine.....

Any thoughts

Nick
June 10, 2005 09:32PM
Have just repaired permissions....... no change
June 10, 2005 09:53PM
Nick,

I recommend you UNINSTALL FCP HD. Here's the Apple Article that tells you how:

[docs.info.apple.com]

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 10, 2005 09:55PM
ok will do!........
June 10, 2005 10:14PM
Have you installed any third-party filters?
June 10, 2005 10:21PM
No 3rd party filters at all....... uninstalled fcp and reinstalled...... and the wretched thing is crashing at the same point...... i'm losing the plot here!

Nick....
June 10, 2005 10:24PM
WHY DOES IT OPEN IN SAFE BOOT MODE THOUGH???? THATS THE ODD THING...... (Although seems a bit twitchy)

Nick
June 10, 2005 10:37PM
Gone for a coffee and a think..... on verge of giving up....!

Nick
June 10, 2005 10:57PM
what kind of third party apps / utilities do you have installed?
kevin
June 10, 2005 11:16PM
My 2¢

1. You say your using FCP 4, upgrade to 4.5 or at least 4.1 if you haven't done so. It's free.

2. Check the amount of free space available on your hard drives, no drive should be over 80% full.

3. Are you attempting to open the show file? Or just the program? Dump prefs again then repair permissions then try and open only the program, not your show. See what happens, try to narrow down what is going on and where the problem lies.

Good luck!

Kevin
June 11, 2005 04:03AM
Tried all that and the problem is exactly the same.......... The problem has gone away for the moment in as much as i'm on a borrowed machine now.... but it's the oddest thing.......

Anyway thanks to all

Nick Young
June 11, 2005 11:27AM
Navigate to the plugins folder to see if something is hiding in that folder that should not be there. HD/library/application support/final cut pro system support/plugins.

Shawn Bockoven
June 11, 2005 05:28PM
Nick,

I had the same issue you had. I uninstalled FCP, did an Archive & install of OS 10.3.6 / FCP HD 4.5 / QT 6.5.2 and the issue went away. I am still there today (have NOT upgraded to 10.3.9 / QT 7).

Maybe you have a faulty RAM stick?

Keep the faith...we will fix this.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Don't forget you can always create another user that has totally clean prefs and use that user to check problems. Maybe make a copy of you project file and put it in your shared folder. In an alternative user more of the system is available then when you do a safe boot.
FCP can crash if you have some old Audio Unit Plug ins installed (like Waves or TC Native)

Look in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/ and user/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/ and try to move any items to the desktop to deactivate. Then relaunch FCP. If it's still crashing, move them back.
June 12, 2005 05:19PM
I had a similar problem after upgrading to Tiger. I took Dean's advice and created a new user, and FC Pro HD didn't crash any more! I ended up wiping my boot drive and reinstalling everything (starting with Tiger) then FC Pro; no more crashes. According to AppleCare, there was something in my user profile that was probably causing the crash...mine was happening when RT was starting.

Good luck...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics