Preparing Video For Display

Posted by Mick 
Preparing Video For Display
July 02, 2001 11:11PM
<HTML>I have a dual G4 with 384 Megs of Ram. I have allocated 256K of Ram for FCP2. On long timelines I always get Preparing Video for Display. During this time I have to wait for the timeline to re-appear on the screen as the sequence is being recreated it seems. Is there a way of getting rid of this annoying problem? Will increasing cache or thumbnail etc do anything? Thanks</HTML>
<HTML>I'm assuming you get this when you first open up the sequence? Not random times? If so, not a lot you can do about. Certainly turn off thumbnails in the timeline for faster appearance. Takes a long time with those suckers on. Increasing cache will do you no good in this case I'm afraid.

mike</HTML>
Re: Preparing Video For Display
July 03, 2001 05:57AM
<HTML>Thank Michael. It appears when I open a sequence and that is understandable and not really a problem. At times , if I make editing changes in the timeline I always have to wait for it to prepare the display for viewing. It gets very frustrating waiting for even the smallest editing change in my sequence. Could the video card be the problem? It is a Ati Rage Pro.

Mick</HTML>
<HTML>YOu might try setting your monitor to thousands of colors and your viewer and canvas to 50%

mike</HTML>
<HTML>I have the same problem. It appears at startup, or when I do certain changes in the timeline, such as switching between render qualities. I have found it to increase the more cuts I make in the timeline. With no cuts in the timeline, no ?Preparing video for display? appears, even though the clip is an hour long. I have turned of thumbnail view, and tried some other tweaking to the timeline, but to no avail. It would be great if anybody knew why this is happening and how to remedy it.

Jon</HTML>
<HTML>There seems to be an uncomfirmed memory "leak" at work here and re starting your Mac after about an hour of work generally keeps the "grey box away.

works for me.

mike</HTML>
July 24, 2001 04:05PM
<HTML>Thanks for the tip Michael I will have to try it.</HTML>
<HTML>I am sorry to report that this has no effect in my case. As mentioned in my previous posting, the phenomenon is related to how many cuts I have in my timeline. I can do the exact same operation on the same video-material, with the only difference that one is a continuous clip, while the other has lots of cuts in it. In the first case, the ?Preparing video for display? does not appear, in the other it does, an the waiting time is longer the more clips there is in the timeline. On a one hour project with cuts at every scene-change, it can take up to a minute each time I do a little change.

It also seems to me to happen only when I work on a second video layer. But not always. For example, if I make a new title on a second video layer, no message appears. But if I move the title on the timeline, if only for a frame, the message appears. Needless to say, it becomes extremely time-consuming to align the title with the video.</HTML>
July 26, 2001 11:22AM
<HTML>Hi John. 1 minute is quite long for the display to reappear. It takes about 20 Seconds on my system. My timeline is 2 hours in length with lots of cuts, dissolves and keying. . What kind of system do you have and what kind of video card is in your system? I am wondering whether the problem has to do with the video card.. I am using a AT1 128 Rage Pro.

Mick Rossi
Mick Rossi Video Productions</HTML>
<HTML>I am running FCP2 on a PB G3 FW with 320MB RAM. Needless to say, it has got to perform slower on my machine than yours. I have not timed the exact time it takes for the ?Preparing? to finish, but on a project with several hundred cuts, it takes a very long time. As a result, I now continue my work on a new timeline when I am getting to the point where the waiting is unbearable, and join them afterwards. I am skeptic to whether this has got anything to do with the performance of the graphics-card, since the problem only shows as I have mentioned before. Also, there is no similar problem in Premiere, so I figure this is a settings-related matter or a bug.

Jon</HTML>
<HTML>I am running FCP2 on a PB G3 FW with 320MB RAM. Needless to say, it has got to perform slower on my machine than yours. I have not timed the exact time it takes for the ?Preparing? to finish, but on a project with several hundred cuts, it takes a very long time. As a result, I now continue my work on a new timeline when I am getting to the point where the waiting is unbearable, and join them afterwards. I am skeptic to whether this has got anything to do with the performance of the graphics-card, since the problem only shows as I have mentioned before. Also, there is no similar problem in Premiere, so I figure this is a settings-related matter or a bug.

Jon</HTML>

Jon</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics