update osx for fcp 3.04

Posted by John D 
update osx for fcp 3.04
June 13, 2005 10:55PM
Here's what I have:
g4 dual gig 1 gig ram
fcp 3.04
osx2.6

I need to update osx to accomodate another program (quicken '05). It's requirements say I need osx2.8 or newer. I've had rock-solid performance with osx2.6 and don't plan to upgrade from fcp3.04. Any suggestions for the update?

Thanks,

John
Hi John

I have the same machine you have and after upgrading to 10.2.8 I got a nasty issue with QMaster (which comes with either DVD SP or FCP). My machine just
began to hang with every CPU intensive Task or died once in an hour.
The machine was so reliable for over 3 years now and suddenly 'something' got
it broken.

The only thing I remember was that I installed the upgrade from 10.2.6 to 10.2.8 when the issue appeared. So my only solution was to disable QMaster
startup in my Account Preferences. The system went stable again but it's not
a solution when QMaster is a needed service by DVD SP or FCP.

I can't say it was 10.2.8 alone, but I had FCP 3.0.4 FCP 4.5 HD and DVD SP 3 installed.

A week ago I switched to Tiger, and everything works fine, although I now just
installed Final Cut Studio.

Hope this little info helps.

cheers
Sandro

PS: never change a running system! True if you're on a Mac too!

Re: update osx for fcp 3.04
June 14, 2005 03:24AM
Thanks Sandro!

Sounds like 10.2.8 may work, but with some bugs in relationship to specific applications. I don't foresee needing to use QMaster anytime soon as the projects I do are fairly small and manageable. Hopefully this will mean that upgrading will be less problematic. I know what you mean about "never changing" a working system. But you gotta upgrade sometimes and since I'm between projects I thought now might be a good time to do it.

best,

John

ps - any other suggestions or advice from the gallery would also be appreciated : )
Re: update osx for fcp 3.04
June 14, 2005 05:32AM
It is my considered opinion that Sandro is correct about 10.2.8 causing problems. I have been running 10.2 on an old G3 Beige desktop and at the point where 10.2.8 was available, I installed it. NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!
I finally reinstalled 10.2.6 and that is what has worked.

All that to say that you'd be better off to go to 10.3 than to stay with 10.2.6, in my opinion.
I need to say sorry....

This early morning I (wrongly) read that your trouble was with OS X 10.3.8.

Instead you have were asking about experience with OS X 10.2.8.

So to correct things: my experience (and the QMaster trouble) was on Panther
10.3.7 - 10.3.8 and up to 10.3.9.

Sorry for that wrong interpretation. (I didn't already have my morning coffee :-)

I think if you come from 10.2.x a switch should be pretty straightforward.
You might think of jumping directly to 10.4.x though!

cheers
Sandro

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics