Building a mac editing system

Posted by TD 
TD
Building a mac editing system
June 14, 2005 12:49PM
OK, I need some advice. My company wants to start making its own training videos. It has asked me to put together a MAC editing system. They are alotting up to $8000 to build it. At home I have a Dual 2Ghz G5, 10.3.9, with FCP 4.5 and 2 gigs of RAM. This has been great and reliable for me so far, but due to budget considerations (the woes of being an inde film maker) I've never delved in to the world of RAID drives or SCSI drives. This is where I need the most help.

Also, what is the verdicct on FCP Studio so far?

Any advice on what you would build for that price would be greatly appreciated.
What will they be shooting on? If DVCAM, then this is the way to go:

-Dual 2.7 G5
-additional 300GB internal SATA drive. Buy Seagate or Hitachi. AVOID Maxtor.
-Additional firewire drives if needed. G-Raid drives are good.
-2xDell 20" widescreen monitors ($500 a pop) or if you want to go for the overprices Apple Monitors...feel free.
-Sony DSR-45 deck. You can get away with a DSR-11 if you are running short on cash, but I myself like the TC display and audio monitors.
-Sony PVM NTSC monitor. I have a PVM-1945 at work (15"winking smiley and it is great. Has settings for 16x9 too.
-External audio monitor (speakers).
-Final Cut Pro Studio.
Re: Building a mac editing system
June 14, 2005 02:49PM
I like everything Shane mentioned. Here are a few more things to add to the list.

Some good studio monitor's. A little mackie mixer to help with your voiceovers. A nice mic.

I would also stay clear of the firewire drives. I am not saying they are no good (I still have a bunch being used). If it were my money that I was spending today, I would build a simple sata array and be done with it.
June 14, 2005 03:21PM
Along with Shane & Alan's suggestions, must-haves are After Effects 6.5 Pro / Photoshop CS2 / Illustrator CS2.

I would do research at [www.barefeats.com] to get specs on hardware options. G-RAIDS tested VERY good (FW800 External).

You might want to get Avid Express Pro so you can widen your company's project options. I use both and they both work great on the same machine.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 14, 2005 04:14PM
Oops, forgot the adobe apps! "jabs self in eye" Great tools.
June 14, 2005 11:18PM
""Also, what is the verdicct on FCP Studio so far?""

Well, since I only got it installed today but did a presentation tonight to our NAProViG group on HDV and Multi-cam, I'd say it is worth the effort.

If you do any more than one camera shooting of a subject, then Multicam is a BIG timesaver. HDV looks great if you have the equipment. We had to rent a HIDef projector with 50 ft of DVI cabling to make the HDV presentation work.

I think it will be a good investment - especially if all you spend for it is $499.00.
I like what everybody said, plus add an UPS- uninterruptible power supply-- to protect your tower, drives and deck for a few minutes during a blackout while you close up and properly shut down. About 170.00 for an APC with Automatic Voltage Regulation. *Especially* if you're working in an older building or a part of town where transformers blow like party poppers.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4.5 keytip:
Set your custom layouts by pressing
Option>Windows>Arrange>Set Custom Layout.
Access your custom layouts 1 & 2 with Shift & Option-U!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
TD
June 15, 2005 09:12AM
Thanks guys and gals. You gave me a lot of things to think about. Now all I need to go do is price them, then I'm off to the races, so to speak.
What about installing a KONA 2 board for input on the new G5 dual's? Is this a good option?
Greg, it depends on what format you are shooting. If you are shooting DV, there is no need. If you are shooting Digibeta or HD CAM, then yes, that might be a good option.

Then you have to look into SERIOUS high speed storage...
We are using JVC D9 (VHS Digital) bringing it in as Component, but we do have the option on using SDI. Is the KONA 2 still a good choice for this?

We are curently editing using the Media 100 i XR level.
Kona 2 might be overkill. Check out the Decklink cards too.

www.decklink.com

They have good component cards (Decklink SP) that will only run you $600.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics