File I/O Error when preparing for video display

Posted by Alex ebert 
hi - when opening my project, a "File I/O Error" comes up twice durring the preparing for display portion of opening... the only option it gives me is to say "OK". Once the project is open, certain Sequences will not display.
I've trashed Prefs, rebooted, etc.. - nothing. Anyone?

Re: File I/O Error when preparing for video display
June 19, 2005 08:11PM
It's likely that there is some sort of corruption in the broken sequences. Can you open an earlier autosaved copy of one of them? If not, it could be a corrupt bit of media. You might be able to figure out which one by moving all your media to a different folder os FCP can't find it when it starts up, and then replacing them a couple at a time until the problem appears.
June 19, 2005 11:23PM
Have you tried just copying the problem sequences to a new project? Sometimes that works, as logic-defying as that is. I think you could try copying one part of your bad project file at a time to a brand-new project file -- some parts might still be OK, and salvageable. At the very least, it could help narrow down the diagnosis.
thanks - unfortunately it only copied over as a consolidated piece...
One thing I forgot to mention - When I attempt to open up the problem sequence, the File I/O Error comes up (As I've said) - I hit OK and then ANOTHER window opens up that says ERROR: Out of Memory...and then the sequence wont open...
Does this illuminate anything?
-E
June 20, 2005 07:37AM
> unfortunately it only copied over as a consolidated piece...

Not sure what you mean there, but I'm assuming the sequence still refuses to open even from a new project. If not, however, try the copy, save the new project file, then close both new and old project files, relaunch FCP, and open the new project to try it out.

> ERROR: Out of Memory...and then the sequence wont open...

Some people have been having problems with oversized project files not opening on account of low memory. How big is your project file? Of course, it could also be a computer problem with FCP thinking the file is too big, but it isn't. If the project does open successfully, I'd also destroy all your render files right away using Render Manager, see if that helps.
June 20, 2005 08:31AM
Alex,

there could be cotupted media in your project.
you can delete all your render files for a start.
but it could also be graphics files in the wrong format.
they gotta be RGB, not CMYK, or Greyscale.

if you can un-mount the media drive,
do that, and open the project with no media attatched?

nick

Greg Kozikowski
June 20, 2005 10:53AM

<<< ERROR: Out of Memory>>>

It also tells you that when it runs out of disk space. INFO all your drives. Nobody should be over 80-90% full.

Koz
So deleting render files wont hurt the project - I'm relatively new to FCP...
Thanks - Alex
When i got the Out of Memory error i was opening a 165 MB project and had 1 gig ram. I went up to 2.5 gigs and problem went away. When you said that you ended up with "one consolidated piece" after copying the sequence over did you actually do a nest? Try copying all of the clips in the sequence and then pasting into a new sequence reather then copying the sequence itself and pasting t that into a new sequence.
Cool - but as far as copying all the clips of the sequence - It won't allow me into the sequence at all to capture clips... any ideas?
BTW - I've got 35 GB left on a 500 GB Drive... could that be a problem?
- e
June 20, 2005 10:57PM
alex,

deleting render files wont hurt your project.
you simply re-render.

also, there is some confusiuon here re: terms.
PROJECT is the fcp file that contains bins, clips and SEQUNCES
SEQUNCE is a bunch of clips layed out in a timeline.

have you copied the recalcitrant sequnce into a new project?
your description of it being consolidated sounds like a nested sequnce.
that is, you EDITED a sequnce into another sequnce.
not what was sugested!

nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics