Compressing to Internet from FCP

Posted by Rob 
Rob
Compressing to Internet from FCP
June 19, 2005 07:36PM

I am working on a project that needs to be compressed to windows Media player. THe option Final Cut Pro gives me is to purchase the flipmac software for $179.00. My question is, if I purchase it for Final Cut Pro, can I also use it for Sorenson Squeeze to compress to WMF or do I need to purchase the Flipmac for Sorenson as well? I feel the quality from Final cut is superior to that of Sorenson so I am more likely to purchase for FCP 4.5
Does Final Cut 5.0 include the flipmac module?

Please Advise

Rob Wise
Re: Compressing to Internet from FCP
June 19, 2005 08:07PM
Flip4Mac is a plugin and a standalone encoder for WMP. Sorenson Squeeze needs the plugin to encode WMP from 4.1. Flip4Mac is not included in FCP 5 or any other application for that matter.

Compression Master is also another encoder that does WMP. (sounds close to WiMP doesn't it?)
So it sounds like I would need to purchase it for both FCP and Sorenson squeeze seperately or do you think the one application of Flip Mac will enable both FCP and Sorenson with the WMF codec?

Please Advise.
Buy a cheap PC and download Windows Media Encoder at no cost. We use the Sorenson Suite on PC, but also employ Windows Media Encoder on a few of our Windoze systems. Nothing wrong with Windows Media 9, and I must admit I kind of like WM9 for distributing or educational videos. Looks really good when a scan converter is used in the classroom.

[www.microsoft.com]
Our not or--sorry
June 20, 2005 12:13AM
Our not or--sorry
June 20, 2005 12:49AM
No. Flip4Mac WMV Studio works with Sorenson, FCP , iMovie etc. You dont need to buy 2 of them and you dont need Studio Pro just Studio for $99.00. Studio Pro does HD encoding.

Also WMV Components are in the lafcpug store now.

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 20, 2005 10:22AM
Buy ONE Flip4Mac Studio Pro use "everywhere."

Your one copy will work in FCP, FCE, iMovie, QuickTimePro, Sorenson Squeeze, Discreet Cleaner. Heck I've even used it in LiveType.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
June 20, 2005 10:23AM
IMHO, Windows Media sucks. You can't step through the movies frame by frame and unless to make huge files, the quality is the worst of any of the "internet" codecs.

Do yourself a favor - for controllable, EDITABLE movies stay in the Quicktime wrapper. Sorenson makes FABULOUS encodes using Cleaner 6 and the Sorenson Squeeze Suite came FREE with my Avid Express Pro.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Greg Kozikowski
June 20, 2005 10:51AM

We load QuickTime on all the machines in the company and urge strongly that all our clients do, too.

The worst problems we had were with the Windows clients that "knew better" and insisted on staying with Windows Media. What a cluster event. I think we settled on Windows AVI files for them.

Koz
June 20, 2005 11:01AM
grafixjoe

With Flip4Mac you can play WMV in Quicktime Player and you CAN jog through frame by frame as well as move playhead to any point and play.

Flip4Mac Studio Pro allows you to create WMV out of most any Quicktime based app as well as play with all the QuicktimePlayer interface features.

In fact you can input WMV in FCP and jog, edit etc too.

Many corporate clients REQUIRE WMV. Flip4Mac allows you to create WMV9 and use WMV files with nearly all of Quicktime's features.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
June 20, 2005 11:22AM
And I got to admit WMV9 is pretty sweet looking.

Michael Horton
-------------------
If you have any questions about Flip4Mac the people at Telestream are pretty good about answering them.
Thank you all for your help on this.

Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics