movies or tv shows edited in final cut

Posted by Sean 
i am interested in finding a list of full length feature films and tv shows edited in final cut i have searched the web alot and have found nothing i do know that walter murch edited cold mountain in final cut and that the tv show scrubs is edited in final cut i am 20 years old and looking in to a career as a film editor and i will for sure use final cut so now before i save the money to purchase the mac to run final cut and to purchase final cut studio i am researching and reading anything i can about the software so if someone could help me with a web site or a list of movies and tv shows and anything else i would appreciate it

thanks

sean
eseayen@gmail.com
Not many. Darn few if you look at the amount of shows done compared to how many done on FCP. These are the ones that I know of.

Movies:

COLD MOUNTAIN
JARHEAD (coming soon)
INTOLERABLE CRUELTY

TV shows:
SCRUBS
Nip/Tuck

There are a handful of cable shows edited with FCP, but they mainly reside on such networks as HGTV and the FOOD network. Bunim/Murray, which does all the Real World shows, now is solely FCP, with 45+ workstations.

But, if you have any aspirations in this business and working in Hollywood, you'd better learn the Avid as well. if you tell someone that you know FCP, and only FCP, and they aren't Bumin/Murray or do stuff for HGTV, then you are out of luck.

And if I were you (and at one point I was) I would start looking for Post PA or vault positions and work your way up. Or, if you get Avid certified, then start as an Assistant editor. Even if you learn FCP...start out as an FCP assistant editor. That is really the only way you are going to break into this world...unless you edit some mind blowing movie that wins an award at Sundance. Then you might get some looks.

But producers and show runners look at EXPERIENCE over most other things. And a person who assisted for 3 years on many shows is bound to be looked at better than the guy who edited 3 short films on his own. It all has to do with gaining knowledge of the process of post production. Not only the ability to cut, but knowledge of the requirements of TV show deliverables and deadlines.

I am not trying to be discouraging, just realist and point out the routes you need to take to get into this business. When a producer sees a resume and only sees FCP on it, or sees someone calling themselves an FCP EDITOR, it goes in the trash almost immediately. Just all yourself an EDITOR or ASSISTANT EDITOR.

But learn the Avid too.
Re: movies or tv shows edited in final cut
June 21, 2005 05:19PM
hi, sean,

i doubt any such list exists.

the same question was asked here about a year ago (more?) and a lot of titles were mentioned.
showtime have been making their movie of the week on FCP for years now (years before Cold Mountain, too)

but sean, just get a mac, and FCP, and get into editing.
the platform you use does affect what you create, but NOT MUCH.
FCP is a perfectly good tool to start with, and would give you a good basis for learning avid furhter down the track.

i believe that there is a new generation of editors who are learning the craft on FCP, and they will continue to use it when they move up to bigger and better projects.
my background is film editing (i started with super8!) i had used avid and lightworks at a couple of facilities before buying into FCP myself. since then i;ve cut short films, TV shows, a rock convert DVD, and a feature film on FCP, using my own gear.

cheers,
nck

Thanks Nick...I COMPLETELY forgot that Showtime has been cutting its Original programming on FCP since FCP 3.

How could I forget that...
thanks for the help i appreciate it now i have to save my pennies for the mac and software haha
June 21, 2005 05:35PM
Like Nick says no list exists but this place is a good start

[www.apple.com]

FWIW you would be hard pressed to find any independent film not cut on FCP. Avid is King in the broadcast and high end movie world but, honestly, who cares. Both tools work just fine.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 21, 2005 05:39PM
shane's real world advice is very sound, too.
(we were posting at the same time, so i hadnt read his when i was replying)
but most assistant editors i know also have their own FCP set-up at home :-)

nick
Almost every editor and assistant I know has an FCP system at home and does short films or other projects on them.

FCP is gaining ground...But I find it tough to convince producers that FCP will do a fine job for scads less cash. And since producers are the ones spending the money...

Why on earth would anyone with a decent budget use FCP.
That is outragously stupid.

Kinda like competing in Formula 1 with a gocart just cause its cheap.
cheap???? well i'm sorry i didn't know that spending about $4,700 on a descent mac and final cut studio was cheap
Because it works. It does the job it is required to do, and in many cases it does it well.

And the money saved could be spent to increase the value of some other part of the production...or to pay the crew better.
June 21, 2005 07:03PM
johan polhem wrote:

> Why on earth would anyone with a decent budget use FCP.
> That is outragously stupid.

Oh boy I can see the responses now.

Johan...ah never mind

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 21, 2005 07:04PM
i chose FCP because i liked using it.
i was the editor, and the choice was mine to make.
the producers would have gone with whatever i sugested

nick

Sean.

$4700 is really cheap compared to a $50 000 Avid system.
It does the same job basically its just a hell of a lot less realiable
Not to open a can of worms.... but my $87,000 FCP station is not a gocart.... and I have produced everything from international TV spots, infomercials, music videos, and TV shows for FitTV and Discovery.

I have output everything from DV, SD, HD, and film.

Bottom line is... its just a tool like a paintbrush. "Just cause you have a typewriter doesn't mean you are a writer". Wehter you have a FCP station in your basement, and AVID at your office, or a suped up FCP system... doesn't mean you are an editor!

My advice is get your paws on as many projects as you can and start cutting!

And learn about the art that is editing. A good reference is "Behind the Seen". That book was a true eye opener for any editor who is proud to call themselves an artist.

My 2 cents!

-Rick
Greg Kozikowski
June 21, 2005 07:09PM

<<<cheap???? well i'm sorry i didn't know that spending about $4,700 on a descent mac and final cut studio was cheap>>>

It's cheap as in inexpensive. A comparable Avid bay would be much more than that and Flame, Inferno, etc. etc. are much much more expensive.

The problem is that when the budgets go up over a certain dollar value, the bean counters start peeling off uncertainties--like we cut the last fourteen shows on an Avid and we know that machine can get the show out the door.

I always suspected that if an FCP license was $10,000, it would have taken over Hollywood years ago.

Koz
If I was to use FCP on a job, it would be more than a $4700 system. In the end it would probably run between $18,000 and $25,000. This included the computer, the software, the dual monitors, NTSC monitor, Pro Deck, Mixer, Studio Monitors, Microphone, Capture card, external Drive chassis, hard drives for the chassis, UPS...

All in all about HALF the cost of an Avid.

I'm not going to reply angrily, since I know he is trolling...
For the record I do a lot of network sports. Just sold my Symphony with 1TB of Avid storage for $27,000 (which was pretty good for me.) Now I'm using FCP and liking it more every time. Avid has a good product and the gap between FCP and Avid is closing rapidly. I suspect that, if Apple continues on its' present course and doesn't mess up, in a few years FCP will be as widely accepted as Avid. I know in the network sports industry it's already started. If you've been around long enough you've seen many systems come and go. When all is said and done it's the final product that counts. Thanks to FCP (it bears mention that FCP has driven the cost of and Avid down considerably) it's more about the archer than the arrow.

Joe
Im not trolling.
I use FCP myself every day and I have worked on AVID machines as well.
Im not saying that FCP cant do the same job, it can.
If it did not I wouldn't use it.

I do think that one has to be realistic though and just because I use FCP now does not mean that I do not prefer the exeptional stability and technical support as well as the outstanding Unity system of Avid.

Having said that, for the money one pays, you definately get more from FCP.

And this debate is not really helping anyone anyway so I'm just gona shut up
now and crawl back into my cage.
no sorry i was refering to the basics just a mac that will run the software and the software itself obviously my longterm goal is to spend a considerable amount of money but the basic system is what i was refering to
WOW look at all this crap that my one question generated hahahahaha any ways thanks to anyone who gave me any advice thats the one thing i can't get enough of especially since i'm not even in the industury "yet"
and if anyone wants to give me some one on one advice or tidbits etc... please feel free to e-mail me

eseayen@gmail.com

Thanks
And this little upstart racing thingy that's called something like NASCAR.
June 21, 2005 11:41PM
Sean,

Seriously...fix the "." (period) and "," (comma) keys missing on your keyboard. If you send a cover letter to a prospective employer and it looks like your posts, they're going to think you write randsom notes for a living.

winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 22, 2005 03:44AM
<<There are a handful of cable shows edited with FCP, but they mainly reside on such networks as HGTV and the FOOD network. Bunim/Murray, which does all the Real World shows, now is solely FCP, with 45+ workstations.>>

We've done a couple shows for The History Channel on FCP 4.5, and it looks like we'll be doing some more. Until recently the production companies we worked with were used to their shows being cut on Avids, so there were a few small issues, like we had to make sure the audio mixes came as AIFF stems as opposed to OMF (although we've also used Avid Free DV to convert them to QT.)

FCP is being used more and more, although I don't think anybody stops to shout about it at this point as it's just become so mainstream.

- - - -

OT:
<<"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."
- Albert Einstein>>

What a great quote.

- Justin Barham -
June 22, 2005 03:57AM
<<Why on earth would anyone with a decent budget use FCP.
That is outragously stupid.

Kinda like competing in Formula 1 with a gocart just cause its cheap.>>

Apparently you didn't get to the LAFCPUG meeting with Walter Murch.

Oh, and add "Napoleon Dynamite" to the list of features cut with FCP. It's not "Lord of the Rings," but at this point most people have at least heard of it.

- Justin Barham -

Seeing this from an educational standpoint, I'd say Final Cut is likely to grow in the coming years, due to the fact that Avid is pricing itself out of the educational market. They have just recently taken this threat seriously and started so-called academic programs, but they have placed ridiculous demands on their partners. Here in Norway Final Cut dominates the educational market, meaning that tomorrows professionals will be apple-centric fcp lovers. This will make an impact on the business over time.

We still keep around 8 Avid Xpress Pro licenses to have some workshops to familiarize the students with Avid a bit. But our main systems comprise of 7 uncompressed FCP stations and 17 DV FCP stations, all maintained by a small and mostly incompetent staff (me). Our student productions are keeping deadlines, winning prizes and being picked up for broadcast on major distrubutors just as easily as if they had been cut on an Avid.

Sorry, just needed to brag about FCP a bit.

Geir.
I've cut two feature films on Final Cut Pro - Mind The Gap and How You Look To Me, both budgeted at about 1.5 million. Mind The Gap was shot 35mm with a negative conform and How You Look To Me was shot HD and edited in HD.

I also assisted Walter Murch on Jarhead. Budgeted at well over $100 million, Jarhead was shot 35mm and edited in HD.

Johan, you make a statement about the outstanding AVID Unity file server. FYI, on Jarhead we used Apple XSans to run 4 FCP systems. Pivotal Post provided support. 4 weeks into the job we took delivery of 3 additional Xraid drives and Pivotal came in for the evening to copy all the media to a Lacie 1 terabyte drive, add the new drives to the server and then copy all the media back to the Xserve.

Based on their vast experience with AVID Unity, they were expecting this process to take at least 12 hours. The whole shebang took 3 hours. Needless to say, we were all overwhelmed by the power of this cheap little system.
June 22, 2005 08:26AM
Sean wrote:

> no sorry i was refering to the basics just a mac that will run
> the software and the software itself obviously my longterm goal
> is to spend a considerable amount of money but the basic system
> is what i was refering to

well the funny thing is that's all you need to EDIT.
to finish, or master, or grade, etc, THAT'S when you'll start to need more grunt, and more $$$ for broadcast monitors, faster drives, etc.

also i hope your longterm goal is to MAKE a considerable amount of money!
(Although of course, it's not that big a deal)

nick

June 22, 2005 10:57AM
Mitch wrote:

> I also assisted Walter Murch on Jarhead. Budgeted at well over
> $100 million, Jarhead was shot 35mm and edited in HD.
>

Cool Mitch. You never told us you got that gig. Hope it was fun and looking forward to it this Winter.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics