OT AFI Top 100 Movie Quotes

Posted by Clarence Larson 
Re: OT AFI Top 100 Movie Quotes
June 22, 2005 02:18PM
One of my favorite films is "My Favorite Year" with Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker. There are about a dozen brilliant lines in that movie but my favorite has to be Peter O'Toole's exclamation of panic just after he is told he will be performing in front of a live audience.

"I'm not an Actor! I'm a Movie Star!!

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 22, 2005 02:55PM
Mike,

MFY was the movie that got me interested in Television Studio Production. That line - DEFINITELY in my personal TOP 5!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 22, 2005 03:01PM
Brillant film.

More from that same scene:

"I haven't performed in front of an audience for twenty-eight years! I played a butler. I HAD ONE LINE!

[pause]

I forgot it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
"Yippee-kaya, motherf**ker." (Die Hard)

"I'm 37!?" (Clerks)

"They're called boobs, Ed." (Erin Brockovich)

"I get a nice girl almost every night, Ma." (GoodFellas)

"The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!" (American Beauty)

"I'd hate to take a bit out of you. You're a cookie full of arsenic." (Sweet Smell of Success)

"I'm telling you it's Keyser Soze!" (The Usual Suspects)

"What if there's no tomorrow? There wasn't one today." (Groundhog Day)
It's funny how our memories play tricks on us. For example, "Play it again Sam" and "Judy, Judy, Judy!" Two cinema moments that stand out in my mind are 1) In "After the Fox" with Peter Sellers, a gang pretends to be a film crew as a ruse to cover a robbery. During the trial, they project the film confiscated from the camera and it's just crazy wild panning. However when the lights go up a film critic stands up in tears and applauds and says "Bravo! Bravo! Such sensitivity...etc." However his words weren't exactly like that. 2) In "The Devil and Miss Jones" (Note that that's AND?this was first!) with Charles Coburn and Jean Arthur, a millionaire department store owner goes incognito as a clerk. He is asked to bring the wine to a beach picnic. He has his butler select the finest bottle in his cellar. At the beach they try to "rescue" this awful stuff by mixing it with soda, but that doesn't work. "I'm going to have to teach you how to buy wine!" is what I remember the dialog to be, but again, not exactly.
After noticing what made #100 and seeing some of the others on the list that looked to be there just because the movie was good, but not necessarily the quote, I started thinking about some of the ones that probably should have been on the list.

"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?" Raiders of the Lost Ark

"It's inconcievable!" The Princess Bride

"Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go!" Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

"Sorry your mom blew up, Ricky" Better Off Dead

"I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days." Bull Durham

I'm sure that there's lots more that I can't remember right now. I just know that I wouldn't have had those quotes from Marathon Man, On Golden Pond, and certainly not the one from Titanic because a line that's only famous because it's been mocked so often doesn't deserve recognition.

Andy
Oh, come on. "Is it safe?" is one of the greats. Same guy who wrote "It's inconceivable!", after all.

Might add a couple more:

"We're under a lot of pressure and you put us there. There's nothing at stake except the Constitution, the Fifth Amendment, freedom of the press, and maybe the future of the country...but if you guys f**k up again I'm gonna get real mad." (All the President's Men)

"One, two...Freddy's coming for you." (A Nightmare on Elm Street)

"When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth." (Dawn of the Dead)

"They're coming to get you, Barbara..." (Night of the Living Dead)
June 24, 2005 03:20AM
Makes you wonder what some of the people who vote on these lists are thinking. There's a bunch of quotes that shouldn't be on that list or they just picked the wrong ones from the right movies. Here's some of my favs that didn't make it....

"I got a bad feeling about this." (multiple characters in the Star Wars trilogies)

"Get away from her you bitch!" Ripley in Aliens

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." "I know if was you Frido. You broke my heart." "Just when I though I was out they pulled me back in!" Michael Corleone in The Godfather II/III

"Yippiekaiay motherf'er." John Mclane in Die Hard

"Alllrighty then!" Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

"Stupid is as stupid does." Forrest Gump in Forrest Gump

"Yeah baby!" Austin Powers in the Austin Powers movies

"The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club" Tyler in Fight Club

"Show me the money!" Jerry Mcguire in Jerry Mcguire

"Come out, come out wherever you are!" Max (De Niro) in Cape Fear

"Forgetaboutit" Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco

-Mike
June 24, 2005 05:34AM
I like one from a little non-blockbuster movie - Benny and Joon.

Joon - "You're out of your tree."
Benny - "It's not my tree."

BTW - this has been niggling me for ages. Where did the quote " I like ... to watch." come from?
June 24, 2005 08:52AM
I think it's 9 1/2 Weeks.
MikeH?

"Show me the money was listed #25. I think it was the Cuba Gooding character who said it first, but I could be wrong (see my post above)!
Benny and Joon was a great little film. I'm gonna have to watch it again. Cuba did indeed say, "show me the money" initially in Jerry Maguire. And for someone who's gotten a lot of recognition for the snappy, hip, memorable dialogue in his films, I'm surprised not a single Tarrantino quote made it.

"Look at the big brain on Brad!" Pulp Fiction

My pick.

Andy
June 24, 2005 02:42PM
From Robocop: "Can you fly, Bobby?"

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics