Need a cheesy glass breaking transition

Posted by Rick Sebeck 
Hey gang,

Anyone know where I can get a cheesy transition that looks like the frame is broken like a piece of glass. The talent punches the camera, and I was looking for some corny transition to finish it off.

Thanks.

P.S. If I ever start asking for a star wipe or the video toaster effect with the girl doing summersaults - I give you all permission to hunt me down and shoot me!
Re: Need a cheesy glass breaking transition
June 24, 2005 09:01PM
You can make your own, ala Home Improvment by taking your last frame out to photoshop and breaking it into shattered glass style shapes, then keyframing these shapes to fall apart when required. This has the advantage of letting you make the breaks in the picture exactly where you want them to be.

Most probably someone else knows of a transition pack that includes something like this, though, which would obviously be simpler.
hey rick, we'll hold you to that last offer! ha ha

there is one in the "final effects complete" package. its called pixel polly. its not exactly breaking glass specifically, but the effect would give the same overall vibe.
i havent used it in a number of years but as i recall you have control over the shard sizes and the scatter velocity and intensity and gravity of the fall.
only rub is that the collection is $695

there is one here as well, but its not nearly as fun:
[www.prisma.net.cy]
you can buy this one here in the lafcp store. its party of the CGM collection
$174 per volume or $324 for the full suite.

im sure there are others out there but these are the two ive used before
ok, i forgot the link to the final effects complete page:
[www.media100.com]
June 24, 2005 11:29PM
Red has one -AE does too.
you can build one in photoshop and animate the pieces manually.

Ian
June 24, 2005 11:39PM
After Effects "Shatter" plug-in.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

CHV plugs ins - 3D Shatter - it has literally a million ways to shatter a picture

[www.chv-plugins.com]
You can always go back to the Video Toaster. They had plenty of cheesy wipes. I think it was all cheesy wipes back then.
June 25, 2005 11:28AM
Dairy and film don't mix.

Unless you're doing hip-hop videos.

Natch.
June 25, 2005 05:17PM
Andrew - it was "Kiki" wipes. The cheesiest was the naked leg wipe.
Shudder. (Trucker's mud flaps are classier.)

A competitor's intern put one in a corporate presentation. He wiped between the CEO and the slides he was presenting with the leg wipe - and I got their work.

Boy howdy was that a fun thing to see go down in a board room with high power execs.

Ian
hahahahahaha - that **** wouldnt even happen here in houston - whoohoo!!!!!! that guy should be lynched!!!
June 25, 2005 11:12PM
If you WANT cheese, you must partake in "The Emperor of all Cheese" - the Video Toaster. There is a broken glass wipe in there (blech - Wedding Video '91 flashbacks).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

What's wrong with the star wipe???

From The Simpsons:

Homer - "Then star wipe and..."

Lisa - "You know, dad, there ARE other wipes besides the star wipe."

Homer - "Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?"

I have that last quote hanging above the monitor in my edit suite.

Andy
June 26, 2005 12:33AM
Okay, I do eat dairy products and would use cheese in my cooking. When I teach editing, I tell people about the nacho factor of the Page Peel...but I *have* used it. Once. Of course, it was a bat mitzvah video, but it did fit in that one instance, and I made it a motif.

Love that quotation, Andy. I might suggest another analogy:

Cuts are vegetables, dissolves are rice, and Star Wipes and Page Peels are guacamole.

You can eat vegetables 'til the end of time and live on it, as long as you balance them to get all the nutrients you need.

You can live off rice in almost any situation, but some people would try to avoid it and go Atkins.

If you try to put guacamole on everything, it's gonna taste like s**t. But, it works on chicken quesadillas. Personally, I hate guac for the way it looks and wouldn't use it for anything.

My most successful film had about two dissolves in the beginning, then straight cuts all the way through. It's a wonderful thing when you're entirely on the same page as your director.
June 27, 2005 09:44AM
If anything, I think the page peels are better suited for overlaying graphics, and even then mostly on an incoming basis smiling smiley
Everyone I work knows that a request for a page peel or star wipe is grounds for immediate ejection from the suite.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics