Networking

Posted by Role 
Networking
July 20, 2005 03:39PM
I have two Mac computers and we are Editing a project in Final Cut Pro and we both need to beable to share with eachother the Media at the same time on the same project..

What do I need to do so that we can share media and work on the same final cut pro project?
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Networking
July 20, 2005 03:52PM
You can't build an Avid Unity, if that's what you want, but you can share files and clips by pushing them to each other over a network.

If you connect two G5 machines with a straight ethernet cable, you can turn on Sharing and log each user into the other's machine. Push files back and forth as needed. That connection will run at Gig-Ethernet rates (very, very fast).

You can only do this trick with two machines. With three, you need to spend money for a switch or hub. That's the price bump.

I found out how to do this on line at Apple, Mac OSX 10.4 Help, but it works with the earlier OSs.

I don't think you can run FCP on one machine and edit files on the other, but somebody will correct me.

Koz
July 20, 2005 06:45PM
YOu can have a network VERY MUCH like Avid Unity...it is called XSAN.

Look for it on the Apple site.

Like Unity, it ain't cheap. Cheaper than Unity...but not cheap.
July 20, 2005 09:44PM
big question for Role, then, is how much you want to spend.

simplest, cheapest way is to duplicate the media on both systems,
exchange FCP project files via a network.

Koz, are you saying that MEDIA can be accessed and played across a gigabit ethernet conection?
i thought in the past you've nixed that idea.

nick

July 20, 2005 10:01PM
Gig e will definitely work for limited circumstances.

Playing media across a gig e connection depends on the bandwidth of the media you're trying to push. We regularly use gig e to watch off-line Rt cuts and QT movies. We don't do this with full res media, so I can't say if it works for that. The further up the bandwidth scale you go, the less good your results will be.

Mark Raudonis
Greg Kozikowski
July 21, 2005 04:41PM

<<<Koz, are you saying that MEDIA can be accessed and played across a gigabit ethernet conection?
i thought in the past you've nixed that idea.>>>

I'm not and I did:

<<<I don't think you can run FCP on one machine and edit files on the other>>>

I agree completely that it depends on bux. The range is $15 for a good quality CAT5 or CAT5E cable so you can connect and share files to a full blown server system that can be used to cut live video.

As a rule, though, anybody likely to show up here is looking for the $15 version.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics