reference signal from DSR-11?

Posted by Kutmasta 
reference signal from DSR-11?
July 25, 2005 11:14PM
Let's say, I have

G5, DSR-11, recordable Beta, USB-serial adaptor

and I would like to edit to beta tape with accurate time code control.
I know I can send the video signal to beta by converting DV signal to S-Video via DSR-11. And I can controll the beta deck with USB-Serial Adaptor.

Now, how can I send reference signal to beta deck?

Do I have to buy black burst box or does it work by connecting RCA video out of DSR-11 to refrence in at Beta?

Kozo
As far as I know, you need to have a black burst generator for this.
Re: reference signal from DSR-11?
July 26, 2005 02:49AM
I'd say run don't walk to a Deck-Link or the like. Don't mess with trying to pass the signal thru the dsr-11
Why not? It has worked for me and others well.

[proapptips.com]

I can see if for projects that used small amounts of beta tape, while the majority of stuff you do it DV.

But if you will end up using a LOT of beta tapes, then take Ian's suggestion and get a Decklink card. Built in Ref signal.
July 26, 2005 11:07AM

Not that it won't work - but that sooner or later, you are going to need to do a quick insert edit on a Beta reel, or need to do some other chore that requires timecode and deck control to match up.

A decklink or the like gives you round trip on a signal with a predictable TC offset that can be calibrated. Even in the short run, that's worth enough time to cost justify the decklink.

Ian
So, are you saying that I can send the reference signal from RCA Out of DSR-11 to reference in in Beta? I wouldn't worry about insert editing at this point. It is the short piece. But it has to be started at 1:00:00:00 sharp. With this set up, do you think I can have a solid out (in terms of healthy signal) to be accepted by broadcasters?

K
So, are you saying that I can send the reference signal from RCA Out of DSR-11 to reference in in Beta? I wouldn't worry about insert editing at this point. It is the short piece. But it has to be started at 1:00:00:00 sharp. With this set up, do you think I can have a solid out (in terms of healthy signal) to be accepted by broadcasters?

K
That I don't know. I have digitized FROM Beta to my system, then output to DVCAM and had the DVCAM dubbed. I have not gone out to a beta routing it thru my DSR (or ADVC-100).
July 27, 2005 12:59AM
It might be possible, but if you already own a Beta deck, why not buy one of the affordable SD cards from Blackmagic? Then get a basic black burst generator off eBay or the like. Set 'em up, and no more worries.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics