Basics of "Onlining"

Posted by RePete 
Basics of "Onlining"
August 16, 2005 04:37PM
I am a novice at this obviously.... What exactly happens when you "online" a high def project? Do you import (in full resolution) the parts from your timeline onto your computer drive? Does it add a few seconds of extra footage before and after? How much GB space does 1:45 minutes of high def take up on a hard drive?
Re: Basics of "Onlining"
August 16, 2005 04:45PM
Which HI DEF format are you utilizing ? Uncompressed? DVDPRO100? HDV?
Greg Kozikowski
August 16, 2005 07:30PM

To answer the generic question, yes, on-lining is so expensive because it's the real thing. Everything's in real time and original resolution.

It's the last time for you to say that you don't like something or want to change a little thing here or there.

This is the step where you can't say, "don't worry about that crappy video and deplorable sound, it will be fine in the on-line version."

Worry. This **is** the on-line version.

Koz
August 16, 2005 08:33PM
My reason for asking is that HDV and DVCPRO100 is about the same data rate as DV, so disk bandwidth is not a real consideration that way uncompressed HD would be.

With Final Cut Pro it is always about Onlining vs offline first because FCP can do any format from DV to HD uncompressed with equal ease.
August 17, 2005 02:24AM
[My reason for asking is that HDV and DVCPRO100 is about the same data rate as DV]

They are? DV is 3.6 MB/s. HDV is 19 MB/s, DVCPRO 100 is 80 MB/s.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set your custom layouts by pressing
Option>Windows>Arrange>Set Custom Layout.
Access your custom layouts 1 & 2 with Shift & Option-U!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
August 17, 2005 04:08AM
Whoops, my bas, I'm too trigger happy! Sorry, John's right about DV and HDV-- I overlooked the capital B as opposed to the small b in the data rates-- big B for BYTES, small b for BITS. DV is commonly identified with a 3.6 MB/second data rate-- which is actually about 28 Mb/second-- even more than HDV! Amazing when you think about it.

DVCPRO100 however, runs 80-100 Mb/second-- depending on whether it's 720p or 1080i-- diferent animal entirely! Do you mean DVCPRO? That's closer.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste Overwrite- Command-V.
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

www.neotrondesign.com
August 17, 2005 05:48AM
I'm talking about Varicam footage at 24p on DVCPRO 50 tapes. How many Gigs would an hour of material use up?
August 17, 2005 05:59AM
Some basic differences between DV and HD formats:

DV: Warm can of Diet Pepsi
HD: Catered Sushi

DV: Full ashtrays, stale food smell from the Pizzeria downstairs.
HD: Air conditioning and a massage.

DV: Flat rate for the job. 16 Hour days. Lengthy phone calls re revisions.
HD: Hourly rate. Lenghty phone calls with tax accountant and stock broker.

DV: Picking up take-out fast food while the playout renders.
HD: Chauffered Limo to the restaurant with the client for leisurely lunch while an assistant labels the masters.

And finally, the classic:

DV: "Can't you find a stopping place and come home now? I have some things for you to do around the house."
HD: "I'm sorry, he's actually on a conference call at the moment, and then there's that dinner with the client and the model agency rep. Can I take a message?"

Hope this provides the basics.

Clay
August 17, 2005 09:09AM
HUH??? DVDPROHD or 100 runs at about 100 Mb/sec as it comes across Firewire from the compressed tape in the camera. That is what FCP 4 was all about.

I realize that DVCPRO 25 was 25 Mb/sec and DVCPRO50 was 50 Mb/sec but DVCPRO 100/HD was equipt to output over Firewire to the system. Just like DV , it is in the same arena of bitrates.

Not 100 MB/sec as is uncompressed HD
August 17, 2005 12:34PM
John-

I get you.

With version 4.5, FireWire understands DVCPRO HD because of license arrangements made between Panasonic and Apple. You will, however, need the new Panasonic AJ-1200A DVCPRO HD Recorder / Player to feed 100Mbps HD signals via Firewire to your Final Cut Pro station. You also need faster, larger storage. For these reasons, I consider DVCPRO100 a totally different animal.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

www.neotrondesign.com
August 17, 2005 04:38PM
So 1 1/2 hours of DVCPRO50 would take up 270 GB of hard drive space? Does that sound right?
August 18, 2005 05:33AM
Just go to AJA.com > I/O support > Utilities. There's a free Data Rate Calculator that will do all the space requirement calculations for video and audio for you. Just download it and install and make your computations.

Clay
August 18, 2005 05:45AM
1.5 hours of DVCPRO 50 (NOT HD) would be about 40 GB (a little under that really)
1.5 hours of DVCPRO HD would be around 80 GB (again a little under that)

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
August 18, 2005 12:23PM
[Just go to AJA.com > I/O support > Utilities. ]

Great tip, Clay! Should have known about that! Haven't bought an IO yet. Out of sight, out of surf itinerary.

Their FAQ has good troubleshooting which can be applied to eneric dropped frame issues too.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics