The smallest compression she's ever seen

Posted by J.Corbett 
i have a qt file that is 64.2mb i need to send it to a client for approval. how ever this person has no clue about file share. so i am wondering what is the best way to compress it to the smallest file so that i may email it.

there maybe others ways of doing this but i am completely unaware of what it may be other than mail it on a dvd.

reward for this answer is a thank you and a little ego stroking for free
Anonymous User
Re: The smallest compression she's ever seen
August 17, 2005 02:29PM
This is about as simple as you can get. No compression needed.

[www.yousendit.com]

couldnt you just post a link to a web page and let her view it online? that would buy you a few more megs of filesize...

and does she need to see it full size or can it be scaled down to say 320x240ish?
August 17, 2005 10:50PM
You Send It is great. Up to 1 gig at a time and free. Can't beat that.
August 18, 2005 12:17AM
Clients for the most part are not tech-saavy. Even if you post a link to a posted server, your client will still have to download 63 megs to view it and if they have a dial-up modem, it's just gonna pi$$ them off because it will take forever...

I do this everyday - at least 3 times a day:

I squash aprox. 850 MB :30 second commercials (Uncompressed 4:2:2) down to 320 x 240 / 29.97 fps / 22khz - 16 bit stereo = 2 to 4 MB TOTAL in Cleaner 6 using the Sorenson codec and I simply email them.

They are so clean, the client can even read the disclaimer and hear the stereo pans. They play the clips in any browser & most email programs as long as Quicktime is installed.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 18, 2005 02:11AM
I agree with Joe about You Send It. Great discovery (thanks for the tip, Mike H.), but it takes one e-mail for every file sent -- I had to use Stuffit Archive to send the 80-odd TIFF files I e-mailed to my friend/web designer in New York. And the upload/download times are still massive. Reducing the file size effectively is still the best way to go.
Anonymous User
August 18, 2005 03:24AM
64 mgbs in this cse. With a high speed connection it's a half a cup of coffee

August 18, 2005 01:05PM
Mike,

Not everyone has that "high speed" connection (you be surprised how many outside of LA). I worked with a clueless client still on a 56k dialup.

Gotta take care of those guys, too smiling smiley

Anonymous User
August 18, 2005 01:11PM
Well then its a POT of coffee. A big pot.

:-)

August 18, 2005 01:58PM
...more like a beer at the corner bar ;-)

is Mpeg2-or-mpeg4 the smallest compression? if i could just knockout about 20 more mb i would be ok. by the way i did mail the dvd. but i will have to do it again sunday or monday depending on when she gets me an email. thus far those are the only ones i have used.
Not sure what format your client needs. If they are on Windows, wmv is a good bet. Sorensen Squeeze does a nice job making wmv format. Viewable by all things Windows. And Squeeze is fast.
they have a an ibook but they have no idea of its uses when dealing with video they use it as a simple office machine ( how vulgar is that? ). i could tell her how to do a file share but i am concerned about image. after all she called me cause i am suppose to be the smart one:-)
the answer was mpeg4 w/no sound. thru a lot of pain and anguish i found this out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics