loss of Option+Apple selection = DISASTER

Posted by Nick Meyers 
loss of Option+Apple selection = DISASTER
August 19, 2005 08:05PM
this might seem a bit of a rant.

in FCP5 we now have the feature of Option+Apple being used as a key combo to grab and drag windows from anywhere in hte window, not just the title bar at the top.

only thing is, Option + Apple is a very important clip selection Key Combo,
or was.

if i need to select just the audio, say, of more than one clip,
i would hold option to override timeline linking,
and apple while i select the multiple items.
simple.

now it doesn't work.

yes, there are workarounds.
i can lock picture, or audio tracks,
or turn off timeline linking.

but these aren't as fast, efficient or simple as just grabbing what i want, when i want.

this is a serious impediment to the natural flow of editing.

it's worse than when we lost being able to control v selected clips in 4.5.
that came back in fcp5,
so i'm hopping and preying that Option Apple select is re-instated.

has anyone else been affected by this?

nick

man nick do i FEEL YOUR PAIN! no, as of yet ive not felt this specifically but as a power illustrator user it crippled me when apple hardwired apple+tab as the application switcher. that was the key shortcut for switching direct/object selection tools in illustrator - FRIGGIN KILLLLLLED ME! (until i found another less used combo i could usurp in ill. illustrator gives the user full command of changing key shortcuts)

now admittedly i AM a crotchety old bastard, but why do they have to keep jacking with stuff?!?!?!?!?!

love wayne
Anonymous User
Re: loss of Option+Apple selection = DISASTER
August 19, 2005 09:03PM
Not in front of FCP 5 but cant you just remap that combination until we get justice from Cupertino or am I reading you wrong?

Mike

August 19, 2005 09:51PM
Yes...remap it. It's not such a big a deal.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 19, 2005 11:16PM
Welcome back, Nick...where've you been?

Just checking with you: I was using an FCP5 station about three weeks ago and was able to OPTION-click objects to override link. Are you only talking about OPTION-APPLE (both keys pressed), or both?

I agree, though -- Apple implements a *lot* of what they perceive as "sweeteners" which just serve to slow us editors down. Every time I use a new machine I have to turn off Expose, and every time I use the Backspace key I risk hitting the "Help" button, which I never want to use. I don't think there's a way to turn it off, either?
August 20, 2005 06:07AM
been in doco land.
(oh, yes, mr K Monohan pointed out to me that "doco" is aussie talk for "doc", but i'm sure you get the idea)

anyway... this cant be re-mapped, it's not a menu item, and it's more of a modifier-behavioural thing.

but, as is typical, while i;d been cursing this state of affairs for a while now,
it was only today, not long after i'd posted, that i found the answer...

to option select dis-contiguous items,
the keys are now CONTROL OPTION APPLE

this IS a big thing for me.
as i said being able to select what i want when i want is really important to the editing process.
particularly in FCP, which is much more about dragging and placing, and the "collage" effect, than the other NLE's i've worked on.
so i'm not entirely happy that EDITING has been given second place to.. uh, what shall i call it... i know.. GIMMICKRY!

why wasn't the new function given the new key combo??

anyway, i'll shut up now,
and disappear back into doco land for a while more.
thanks all.

(and wow, check out the price on Lisa's Book!
now that's an offer that cant be refused!)

all the best,
nick

I was just going to suggest Control > Option might work. You got it before I read your final post. I use typeit4 me and when I try and use apple >spacebar to open Spotlight my keyboard input menu changes so to open Spotlight I have to use control >spacebar. This took me a couple of minutes to figure out. I was glad I did though.
August 20, 2005 11:04AM
i'd be glad, too..
it took me a couple of months!

nick
Anonymous User
August 20, 2005 12:02PM
Glad you figured it out Nick. Good tip for us too

Man, that's a lot of keys to press down! ;-)

K.
I agree with you Nick.

It seems to me that moving windows around is less of a priority than selecting on the timeline. moving windows should have had the 3 key combo assigned to it; the 3 key combo shouldn't have been assigned to a function I use a gazillion times a day...... don't know that FCP engineers were thinking....

Calvin.
i wonder if the app designers subject beta versions to users (and if so, whom) for approval on these heavy-handed changes... they always seem to alienate the power user...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics