resolution/aspect ratio?

Posted by James T 
resolution/aspect ratio?
August 27, 2005 10:15PM
hey fellas,

we just got done shooting with a HD camera that carries a 1504 x 1128 resolution. my sequence setting in FCP 5 wont carry that same resolution even with the the custom settings.

now, what would be the best way to convert this footage to keep the best image?

Thanks for any help guys.
Re: resolution/aspect ratio?
August 28, 2005 06:54AM
Which camera? what HD format? What kind of tape are we talking about here?
August 28, 2005 12:13PM
The camera guys run out of San Diego, there company is "Speed Vision". I'm not quite sure the of the name of the camera. I believe you stated you have footage with this one.

I have worked with this footage before when i brought the single framed tiff files fin FCP and exported each shot into DVCpro HD 1080/60i. NOw this worked fine.(looked great). except its stretched my image (nobody but I could tell).

But i still want to have something with a truer format.

Tape....I was thinking HDcam unless you have any other suggesting
August 28, 2005 12:16PM
I have tried the animation codec you suggested and it put my image in a less then 4:3 ratio.

i dont know.

thanks guys.
August 28, 2005 12:52PM
That camera obviously records in a non-4:3 format. The primary use of the footage from that camera isn't broadcast, but scientific review, so it doesn't record a standard 4:3 or 16:9 format.

What you need to do is import it, resize it and adjust the DISTORTION until it looks right...
August 28, 2005 01:11PM
thanks Shane,

Thats what i have been playing with, i just thought there might be someting else.

sorry, you are going to get a lot of stupid film school questions out of me.
August 28, 2005 01:40PM
Hey, we all started somewhere...
August 28, 2005 07:23PM
Hi,

1504 x 1128 is 4:3 aspect, though not a standard resolution. Do they use square or non square pixels?
If it's square pixels you shouldn't have any problems using the animation codec or maybe Sheer or Microcosm.
The other bigger question is what's your output format, if it's SD just scale them and be aware of the square/non square issue. If it is 16:9 SD or HD you have do some vertical cropping/panning upfront. AE is a good app to handle all this kind of stuff.

Regards
Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics