OT: Katrina

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
OT: Katrina
August 28, 2005 02:24PM
Hoping that none of you living in the low lying regions of LA, Alabama and Mississippi are reading this and are on the road to seek shelter. Damn this hurricane looks brutal and all we can do is hope for some miracle and it does a dog leg.

Best of luck to you all, is all we can say.

Re: OT: Katrina
August 28, 2005 07:52PM
Sorry, Mike...but living in Florida, I can't pull for a CAT5 to do a "dogleg" and possibly end up back in FL. I want that thing as far away from FL as possible

Katrina already passed through my Mother-In-Law's side of town in Miami last week - flooding everywhere - kids are riding waverunners in the streets. I can't imagine what New Orleans (which is situated below sea level) is going to endure in the next 48 hours. It doesn't get much worse than a CAT5.

God bless those that couldn't get out. Prayers go out to everyone in Katrina's path. Good luck.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Anonymous User
August 28, 2005 08:15PM
My daughter, in all her wisdom is going to Boca Raton to visit a friend tomorrow. Guess this is a good week to do that.

By dog leg I meant turn around and head back into the Gulf and wreck havoc with the marine life.

August 28, 2005 09:01PM
Boca got nothing - she'll be fine there. It's way south of there (Ft. Lauderdale, Hallandale, North Miami Beach, Miami, Homestead, etc). My old familiar 7-11 on the corner of Hallandale Beach Blvd & A1A was flattened...pumps & all.

Regarding the "dogleg", I gotcha. Unfortunately, Hurricanes keep moving & in the 90º water of the gulf, it just gets stronger FASTER. A dogleg to an "about-face" would be impossible because of the way it is spinning and the trough that is coming in from Texas, it would steer right back towards FL (no thanks).

There have only been 3 - CAT5 storms ever to make landfall in US history. I would hate to be anywhere near sea level within 5 miles of the beach when Katrina hits. We sat through CAT2, CAT3 & CAT4 Hurricanes last year. Roofs gone, trees crushed, flooding, power out for weeks. It feels like the end of the world...and this year's Hurricane season isn't half over yet.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 28, 2005 09:32PM
They are brutal - Hurricane Andrew was devestating....I covered some of the cleanup after the fact.

When I was a full time correspondent at ABC News, they used to call me Hurricane Insurance.....any time they sent me there to do the silly "stand on the beach and get blown around so folks at home feel better being where they are" live shots.....any time they sent me somewhere - the hurricane blew somewhere else. Too bad I'm not still doing that...they could have sent me to New Orleans to make it go back to sea.... Hoping everyone gets out of New Orleans in time - Andy
August 28, 2005 11:53PM
Best wishes to all of you living along Katrina's path.
Believe it or not, I know what it's like to be getting ready, waiting for hurricanes. I spent my teen years in the north-east tip of Mexico, just a few miles south of South Padre Island, Texas. Then about five years in Mazatlan, which is another usual target for cyclones (ciclones, as they are called there) in the Pacific Coast; I even accepted an invitation to ride one out aboard a shrimp boat! Crazy youth, macho years, you know.
Prayers always seemed to help. So, here is mine for your safety.

Alberto

====================================================================
"Prefiero pasar como ignorante cuando pregunto lo que ignoro, que pasar
como ignorante el resto de mi vida".
- A. Hauffen.
====================================================================
August 29, 2005 06:00AM
Yeah, seconded, high hopes for safety and comfort and best wishes to anyone on the Big K's path. Looks like 100,00 homeless folks are penned in the Superbowl stadium. That's not going to be at all fun without AC OR if the wind knocks the roof in. I feel very bad for anyone in N'ollins.

Red Cross may be asking for donations. I'll be ready.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste Overwrite- Command-V.
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
August 30, 2005 07:40AM
Hi.
I've just watched the News and it looks like Hell came to Earth.
To all of you in the Katrina areas my best wishes.
It's hard to loose someone or something but turn your pain and hanger into energy to rebuild your lives.

Rui
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics