Digitizing on AVID/cutting on FCP

Posted by omricohen 
Digitizing on AVID/cutting on FCP
August 29, 2005 01:48PM
Hey All,

I have some digibeta footage that I want to capture at the highest possible quality. The problem is the deck is hooked up to an AVID system and I want to cut on fcp. I am going to use the footage for a demo reel that will be on dvd.

One option is to digitize through fcp going from the digibetdeck into a dvcam deck and then through firewire into fcp. (I know that this will be compressed)

Is it possible to capture into avid and convert or export the dailies into a file that FCP can read?

I think there may be an I/O converter box here, can I attatch that to a laptop via firewire and capture directly to fcp?\

I guess my real question is, if I am finishing on DVD what is the highest resolution that I should digitize at? Does it matter if I capture via firewire?
Will it make a difference if I capture 1:1 if I am finishing on DVD?

Excuse my ignorance, all your help/knowledge/ advice is welcome and appreciated

omri cohen
Re: Digitizing on AVID/cutting on FCP
August 29, 2005 04:23PM
Footage captured on an Avid will not work on FCP, unless you get Sebsky's Tools which I hear converts the OMFI files to QT files...but I don't have personal experience with it.

If you are going to DVD, then you can route the signal thru a Camera, deck, or converter box like the ADVC-110...sure it will compress it 5:1, but as you said this is a DVD, you aren't going up against broadcast specs...

[proapptips.com]
You can do a Quicktime export out of Avid onto say a removable firewire drive.

To be honest if its for a demo reel on DVD DV quality should be fine and maybe a lot easier for you todo.
Re: Digitizing on AVID/cutting on FCP
August 29, 2005 06:45PM
Keep in mind that the Qt export you lose all timecode information...that you lose if you play it thru a converter box without RS-422 control.

Just so you kow...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics