itunes downloads

Posted by Chuck 
itunes downloads
August 30, 2005 02:55PM
Anyone know why the downloads from itunes are now m4p instead of mp3's.

How do we use these m4p's in FCP?

Re: itunes downloads
August 30, 2005 03:26PM
They've been m4ps for awhile. You can't use those in editing -- they have copyright protection. If you import them into FCP, you'll get blank files.
August 30, 2005 03:47PM
Yea i have never known itunes to be anything but m4p. You could burn them to an audio cd and then reimport them as mp3's but that's not exactly legal i just learned from derekmok and wayne Granzin in another thread.

here is the thread it is pretty interesting

[www.lafcpug.org]

Good Luck,

Sean

August 30, 2005 04:05PM
Burn as an audio cd in iTunes, then when the cd appears on your desktop drag the now-AIFF's onto your scratch disk, wherever that is. Then Import into Final Cut and you can use them
August 30, 2005 04:15PM
Are we now telling people how to break the law?
August 30, 2005 05:25PM
Sorry for being repetitive Sean!

but...

FCP doesnt like mp3's either, its the 44.1 vs 48 system setting crap. i just use aiffs cause they work when i lay them in the timeline.

Mike
August 30, 2005 06:16PM
> its the 44.1 vs 48 system setting crap.

Actually, no. 44.1kHz AIFFs need to be rendered to be heard in a 48kHz timeline, but after rendering, they sound fine. I did it for years. FCP just doesn't play back MP3s correctly for some reason, but it's not the sample rate.
August 30, 2005 06:27PM
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE RESPONSES... I GOT IT NOW.

CHUCK
August 30, 2005 07:50PM
Thanks derekmok ill try that... so a 'clicky' sound is a need for rendering?
August 30, 2005 08:17PM
The general rule is always convert AIFF to 48 kHz for FCP. 44.1 is famous for synch problems, MP3s are famous for "clicky" sound. Don't try to fix it by rendering - fix it by converting to 48 kHz AIF before bringing into FCP.

Scott
August 31, 2005 01:34AM
Another workaround, which was mentioned at the last FCP meeting is to import the songs into imovie, then export/drag them back to the desktop. Once brought into imovie, Apple's dopey copyguard is removed and you can burn away...Just as if you bought it at Tower!

It may not be legal or moral in some peoples eyes...However, you did pay for the song and it's better then COMPLETELY ripping it off from Limewire. Babysteps folks!

SG
August 31, 2005 02:25AM
Mike wrote:

> FCP doesnt like mp3's either

AWW!! crap i knew that i just totally forgot.

Thanks Mike,

Sean

August 31, 2005 02:37AM
Sorry Shane, but i don't know what kind of project Chuck is doing (personal public etc...) it's really none of my business and i really could care less, but assuming he is using it for a personal project (because i hope he is smart enough not to use it for a project to make money on "most" people are) i have no problem giving him instructions i personally have no problem using music for personal projects i have in the past (keep in mind i am only 20 and i don't own a FCP system YET but i have done editing with windows movie maker just editing some stuff me and my friends have filmed, yes i know WMM is crap but it's what i have at the moment).

On a different note if he said "hey i need to get some music off a cd that i bought to put in a project that i'm gonna sell can any one help me?" i wouldn't tell him how to do it.

Sean

August 31, 2005 03:26AM
OK...assume the best in people I guess. I myself would ask. Personal projects I have no problem with. Projects they earn a buck for...problem.
August 31, 2005 09:56AM
> Another workaround, which was mentioned at the last FCP meeting is to
> import the songs into imovie, then export/drag them back to the desktop.
> Once brought into imovie, Apple's dopey copyguard is removed and you can
> burn away...Just as if you bought it at Tower!

Thanks for passing on the tip, Schlomo. Does anybody else find it amusing that iMovie is able to get past the m4v protection? I suppose Apple wanted to make it possible for consumers cutting home movies to use iTunes downloads, which they invariably will, but didn't want to make that feature available in Final Cut.

Still, wish I'd known this trick back when I was cutting something for a certain music company that was too lazy to provide me with a CD copy of their artist's #1 hit...that was the first time I ran up against the m4v protection.
August 31, 2005 02:54PM
I said

" i don't know what kind of project Chuck is doing (personal public etc...) it's really none of my business and i really could care less"

Thats true it's none of my business.

"Projects they earn a buck for...problem."

I'm exactly the same but it's not my business to "monitor" him and ask what the project is.

Thanks,

Sean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics