OT ethics / documentary question

Posted by wayne granzin 
hey gang, hate to add yet another katrina based post. as you guys may know, im here in houston tx. and as im also sure youve heard, a vast number of katrina refugees are being housed here in our former astrodome for an as yet undefined period of time.

on that subject. my girlfriend and i are scheduled to go volunteer at the dome and possible others of the facilities.

my question is: i would love to take my camera with me and get some first hand testimonials from some of these people - just for documentary sake. but at the same time that feels slightly predatory? im at one hand excited to get some real life stories on tape, on the other hand i feel like a complete ass for even considering it...

anyone have any feelings on the subject? we are possibly scheduled to begin helping tomorrow night?
I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT, and after an endless rainstorm a mudslide took out a house on the water. No one knew for sure if the family had been inside (they were remodeling and often spent nights elsewhere). We spent a long day digging through the mud and rubble and finally found what we hoped we wouldn't. One by one bodies were uncovered and carried out. I remember wishing I had a camera with me because the human drama in the faces of the firefighters working the whole day was something I really wanted to record. I mentioned that wish to someone and they thought I was ghoulish. That's not what I was after, it was the humanity and the depth of feeling. It was a very profound moment in time and I wanted to preserve it. Not sell it or exploit it, probably only let firefighters and family see the pictures. But I didn't take any, because I had no camera.

That's a long way of saying I know exactly how you feel, Wayne, but I don't have an answer as to whether it's "appropriate". I will point out, though, that those people in the Dome will have a hundred cameras pressed into their faces over the next several days and weeks, so you might want to consider that before you press yours. All the questions, all the gawking. I'm sure there is a sensitive way to do it. I hope you find it.

Scott
Re: OT ethics / documentary question
September 01, 2005 01:19AM
If you are doing it for documentary purposes, not for news it probably won't be a problem. You need to remember to do some things first. You need to explain to people what you are doing. You will need a talent release from anyone you interview. You will probably need permission from whoever is running the show at wherever you choose to shoot (unless it is in a public place). Some people love to open up to the camera so long as you haven't stuck a mic in their face. It is a sad thing you plan to document, but so necessary. Go for it.

Evan
September 01, 2005 01:53AM
I'm all for archival footage. People usually appreciate your work if you can explain to them that you want to preserve what it was really like for future generations.

The predatory instinct only raises its head when potential for profit is the motive. And most people can tell from a mile off when you are geniune. They have stories to tell and for the most part, they want people to know.
September 01, 2005 06:40AM
If I was you, I would at least bing the camera.
And then start talking to people without the camera even out. Ask them basic stuff, where they are from, the names, stuff like that. Tell them some stuff about yourself. And then ask if they want to go on camera.

P.s I think it´s great that you volunteer! All people should do it at some point.
Good luck.

Dodo
(Sweden)
September 01, 2005 12:28PM
I have felt the same and never really know what's apropriate. I am so heartened to read the struggle you are going through. I think that with that heart attitude and great care you can't go wrong. One post suggested talking before a camera is even seen. A pre-interview is always a good policy in Doc. making when it's possible. Build relationship and people will open to you.

Thanks for you heart.
Hey Wayne

Its good you are volinteering-- your help will be needed --

Folks are going to be Very tired and freeked out--
I understand your concerns about coverage--

Talk to folks when you have time and ask
if any one wants to tell there story --

Remember its going to be Very loud in
the dome --

Thanks for helping--Jay--

PS-- here in Austin -- kids who have made it here
are already being regestered in schools --
if i were a kid, id be pissed off - its like "damn, my house wased away, all my stuffs gone, im living in a sports facility in another state but i still gotta go to school? - CRAP!"
September 01, 2005 02:54PM
I think this is a great topic to bring up, Wayne.

On September 11, 2001, I was at Canal and Broadway at 10AM, due to scout a location with my producer and DP. Though by mercy of God (or whoever you believe in) I wasn't afflicted by the tragedy at the first degree, I saw the people fleeing north from the Twin Towers. I saw people failing at their cell phone calls and then lining up at payphones. I wondered if my two friends were okay. And I saw a reporter who had this exact same dilemma: He and his cameraman tried to talk to a businessman who was comforting a woman (wife, girlfriend, co-worker, stranger?) and the man let loose a barrage of insults at the reporter for intruding into their moment of grief.

And I understood why he would feel like that, and say those things.

But conversely, as I walked up to around 10th Street (my home was 121st, a good 100 blocks up, and the buses were turned into sardine cans), a small crowd of people gathered around a car. It was a driver who had the wits to leave his car doors open, his radio turned on full volume, so that everybody could find out what was going on. For about 30 minutes, about two dozen of us gathered around his car, intently listening, not talking to one another too much, but getting some comfort just from being around one another. When I got home, I turned on my radio for the first time in about 10 years. Throughout the night, radio newscasters kept awake and reported on what was happening. I even heard them eat breakfast on the air.

I dare to say, the media was a great comfort at that troubled time.

So Wayne, you should definitely keep doing what you're doing. You seem sensitive enough to those people that you won't be working in an exploitative way. And some people will probably yell at you even if you show the utmost courtesy and discretion. We can't blame them -- they are deep in the throes of fear, anger, grief. But it's so very important for society to see and hear what's going on. In the long run, work such as what you're doing will become invaluable, and help balm the wounds.
September 01, 2005 03:33PM
Wayne i think you should do that documentaries will last forever and allow younger people (children) when they are older to understand what happened and how the people that experianced it felt keep in mind this has been described as the worst natural disaster in american history thats pretty important. I would be very carefull who you approach when i say that i mean before you approach them just sit back and watch and "try" to guage how they would react to someone they don't know or have never seen before asking them what some might call such pesonal questions remember you are digging into the emotions they are feeling at THAT moment and these are very strong emotions they have experianced something that VERY few people experiance i know it may seem crazy like how can i tell how a person would react but if you just watch you will just know also be carefull how you approach them choose your words very carefully and be carefull about what you ask them.

You may be thinking what the hell this kid is only 20 why would i even listen to him? Well you don't have to but i feel like what i said is worth something.

P.S. if you do it will you let me know and also how i can get a copy of it.

Thanks,

Sean

September 01, 2005 08:46PM
Wayne,

I think it's great that you're volunteering. From what I am seeing on various news casts, you better choose your words wisely because some of these people are ready to snap (can you blame them?). If I was in Texas, I would get a hold of a Sony HVR-Z1U HDV Camera and really record the scope of the disaster and the enormity of the Astrodome in HDV.

Good Luck!

- Joey

OT: Sean,

You have been asked over & over by different members in the past...please work on adding some punctuation to your posts. It makes your posts easier on the eyes and it's just common courtesy. This isn't a chat room.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 02, 2005 02:44AM
I have absolutely no response Joey. If i tell you how i feel i would be banned from posting here.

A quick question also do you know anything about my personal situation?? I didn't think so so before you complain about a few periods or commas (yes my last post was missing some) think to yourself what could be causing this. Over all my post's have the same quality of the average post in here. First yes i should have done better in my earlier post, I have two excuses for not useing better punctuation one, i was about to leave for work and two, well you don't deserve to know number two because it is personal and you are arrogant and rude and frankly it's none of your business, and i guarentee if you knew about my situation you would feel so bad for being rude about it that you would be really pissed at yourself.

P.S. Joey feel free to e-mail me (eseayen@gmail.com) and ask me about my situation and i will tell you if i feel like it and/or if i'm in a good mood and/or if you aren't rude.

BTW this is a good thing to keep in mind "ALWAYS", know about someone before you harass them about something that you're not sure they can help

Sean

September 02, 2005 10:47PM
Thank you.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics