terabyte directory damaged

Posted by Jewel 
terabyte directory damaged
September 08, 2005 02:37PM
Hi,

I just got my first-ever Disk Warrior message saying that the disk directory was too badly damaged to repair. The disk is a LaCie D2 Extreme external terabyte.

Is there a newer Disk Warrior project to deal with this? Or, would it be better to move the data off the disk, and re-initialize the disk? We had already duplicated everything onto a second terabyte disk before discovering this problem...

Looking forward to any suggestions, including updates, download suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Jewel
Anonymous User
Re: terabyte directory damaged
September 08, 2005 02:44PM
Thats a new one. Guess you dont have much choice to wipe the drive unless you want to run Disk Warrior again. I usually run it twice.

September 08, 2005 02:46PM
Hi Jewel --

Why am I not surprised that you are experiencing problems with a LaCie?

I would suggest getting that LaCie out of the rotation as soon as you can... if your media is backed up somewhere else, your project files etc are all OK somewhere else, my opinion is to get your project working without the bad drive in use at all, then erase it -- write zeros to the disk and everything -- and then, try not to use it for anything but backup purposes.

Just my opinion

good luck!
karl
September 08, 2005 02:51PM
> Is there a newer Disk Warrior project to deal with this? Or, would it be better
> to move the data off the disk, and re-initialize the disk? We had already
> duplicated everything onto a second terabyte disk before discovering this
> problem...

Good for you. I'm with Mike -- since you have all your data backed up (smart), it's faster just to re-initialize the drive. However, my experience with Lacies tells me that if your drive is too compromised for DiskWarrior, there's a good chance it will continue to have problems. I'd switch to a G-RAID or a Promax array. The Lacie BigDisk and BiggerDisk are unreliable. (any surprise that they are the ones being marketed to the public by Apple?)
One last twist / problem...
September 08, 2005 04:18PM
Hi again,

Thanks -- yeah, I've been keeping one eye on these drives all along;

Here's part B of the problem (just discovered) - I ran Disk Warrior on the backup terabyte (same model), and got the same error msg -

I wondered if pulling everything straight across from the NG terabyte to the new terabyte drive also pulled over the bad directory.

Now I'm wondering how to pull the media back onto the re-initialized drive without bringing the NG directory back with it (hope that makes sense...)

:0
J
Re: One last twist / problem...
September 08, 2005 04:24PM
Did you upgrade OS X recently? That is, are you possibly using a DW intended for one version of OS X on a different version of OS X? That could make it reach false conclusions.

Scott
September 08, 2005 04:38PM
It's only a matter of time with LaCie.

If you are on Tiger, I hope you were using Disk Warrior 3.0.3. for Tiger. Attempting to rebuild a disk with DiskWarrior 3.0.2 or earlier, while started from Tiger, will result in an error stating that a "Mac OS Services" failure occurred.

[www.alsoft.com]

- Joey

Post Edited (09-08-05 14:42)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

OS X vs. DW versions
September 08, 2005 04:46PM
Hi Scott,

I haven't upgraded OS X recently, I have 10.3.9. I used the DW a number of times on all the drives without this problem, until now sad smiley.

When I ran DW on the new / replacement terabyte, that new drive was wired to a second G4; I can get back to you on that OS X version (have to back out of the DW there first to see the OS X)....

J......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics