Graphics cards for online'n

Posted by RePete 
Graphics cards for online'n
September 08, 2005 11:27PM
Anyone know the low down on HD graphics cards for onlineing / encoding footage onto the computer. What are the good brands? Price? etc.
Re: Graphics cards for online'n
September 09, 2005 12:04AM
Kona2 Dual Link:

[www.aja.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 09, 2005 12:25AM
Decklink HD Pro - $2000

[www.decklink.com]

And you cannot forget the need for a Fibrechannel or Ultra SCSI Drive array. That will cost you more than the card...
September 09, 2005 02:55AM
So it takes a Fibrechannel or Ultra SCSI Drive array to play the high rez stuff? Hummmm.... $4,000 to online a HD movie. Is it generally more cost effective to hire someone to onine it for you? (I also want to color correct this thing at high rez so I can really see what's doing)
September 09, 2005 04:01AM
Yes, it does. FW 800 for DVCPRO HD, but higher than that and you will need an external SATA array AT LEAST...fibrechannel recommended. Oh yeah, and an HD color correction monitor, another $3000.

Is it more cost effective to hire someone to do this? If it is only one project, yes. If you spread the cost over many projects, maybe not. BUT, also bear in mind that a finishing editor is typically skilled in color correction.
September 09, 2005 05:23AM
Thanks for the advice. If it's more cost effective for just one project to hire someone then that's the road I will go. It'd be nice to find someone who has some cool plugins like Motion. Now I just gotta find a finishing editor in LA who's in the indie DVD movie price range. Any good places to look? Craigs List?
September 09, 2005 06:05AM
Motion isn't a plugin...it is a pro application.

Craigslist would be the place to start if you have little to offer. That and Mandy.com.
September 09, 2005 10:21AM
> Thanks for the advice. If it's more cost effective for just one project to hire
> someone then that's the road I will go. It'd be nice to find someone who has
> some cool plugins like Motion. Now I just gotta find a finishing editor in LA
> who's in the indie DVD movie price range. Any good places to look? Craigs
> List?

Just bear in mind -- if you're offering little or no money, you won't get someone very good. Good editors who have paid their dues will have stopped working for no money. And for the tasks you're talking about -- colour correction and onlining -- there is little to no credit incentive, since it's not a full editor credit. Effects and colour-correction personnel are skilled, expensive labour requiring major equipment investments -- don't expect people to jump all over your project just because you put "great movie, credit and meal".

Have you asked your DP or producer? The best way to get a deal for a position like this is through a relationship -- a friend of one of your keys.
September 09, 2005 08:06PM
Well what kind of finishing editor will $5,000 in this town get me on a 100 minute feature?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics