one or two monitors?

Posted by Cameron Young 
one or two monitors?
September 14, 2005 02:19PM
Am upgrading my current system (if you can really call it a system!) of 17" iMac G5 with 400 firewire HD to a Power G5, monitor(s), NTSC monitor, 800 firewire HD raid, powered speakers, and DV deck. I have a space issue where I'm putting the new workstation (landing at top of stairs), and don't have the room for two computer monitors, so I am opting for a single 23" monitor with the NTSC set. Since I am currently using such a small monitor, I have discovered the quickness of using various window layouts for whatever mode I'm working in. Am I answering my own question, or is there something I'm not thinking of? Any thoughts? Anyone?........Anyone?

Thanks all!

Anonymous User
Re: one or two monitors?
September 14, 2005 02:30PM
Rule of thumb: If it works for you then what you did was brilliant.

September 14, 2005 02:37PM
What ?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 14, 2005 02:47PM
Mike, thanks for the response. I don't know about "brilliant", but, necessity is the mother of invention, eh?

To grafixjoe: you had your hand up
September 14, 2005 10:52PM
im with joe, i dont really understand "17" iMac G5 with 400 firewire HD to a Power G5, monitor(s)..." means

BUT if i were going to buy a large monitor i would choose the del 24" over the apple 23" for about a dozen reasons
September 15, 2005 01:38PM
To Joe and Wayne....sorry if I wasn't clear....I currently use an iMac with a 17" screen, and a standard firewire Lacie HD in my bedroom......I am clearing a space on my upstairs landing (until my soon to be 18 year old moves out, which these days could be years!) to put in a Power Mac G5, one large monitor, and one broadcast monitor (along with powered speakers and some kind of HD array)....just last night an engineer at work mentioned he bought a 17" Dell monitor for his home set up at Costco for much less than Apple charges. That's one reason, what are the others?
Anonymous User
September 15, 2005 01:57PM
The 17inch Dell doesn't have near the specs of the 24inch Dell. Plus it might be too small for you regardless of your excellent tip of switching window displays.

The Dell is a much better deal, price/value wise and should be just fine for your small space. You can always add another monitor but for now you should go with the biggest display you can afford.

With the popularity of the Dell with fanatic Mac users, some smart person out there could make a killing if he/she could figure out a cool solution for masking the Dell logo with an Apple one

:-)

September 15, 2005 02:19PM
i pretty much HATE all dell flat panels ive seen - they all have color issues, EXCEPT the 24". it has the best color ive seen, has like 4 different kinds of inputs, and has a built in multi card reader.

and retails for $1199, but you can pick them up via pretty frequent specials for around $850.

and to be honest, i never thought id say this, but i like it even more than the apples
September 15, 2005 02:33PM
Wow....just went to Dell online and with the discount they're giving, the 24" is going for $600 less than the Apple.....the choice seems clear.....thanks to all of you guys!

Cam
Anonymous User
September 15, 2005 02:44PM
I agree with you Wayne except the Dell, like all Dells are butt ugly. You can't beat an Apple monitor for the sheer style and small foot print. But then if that means nothing and budget is a consideration, (when is it not) then certainly the Dell is the way to go.

September 15, 2005 02:44PM
it was really hard for me to make the jump to the dell monitor, not the least of the reasons was the "too good to be true" sound of the deal. i had the 33% coupon + another incentive discount + my cousins employee discount.

but i have to tell you, once i got it home and set it up i almost hate to turn it off at the end of the day.

i think it kicks the pants off the apple 23" image quality, features and as far as ergonomics go - the dell is WAY WAY WAY better
September 15, 2005 02:52PM
i agree as far as aesthetics mike, but have you ever used one? they are height, pitch (tilt) and swivel adjustable. the new apples are only adjustable in pitch (tilt).
September 15, 2005 02:53PM
Mike, if you saw the eclectic style of my home (nice way of saying NO style!), the Dell monitor will fit in nicely....but it's all about the picture, right?....and saving money to go towards more drive space, and, of course plug-ins, plug-ins, plug-ins!
September 15, 2005 02:55PM
oh, and they also pivot to vertical orientation. i have yet to find any apple software that will address this. but its a neat additional function. on a pc you can view two full vertical pages!
Anonymous User
September 15, 2005 02:58PM
Yeah, all that swivel stuff is very cool and very functional and picture and res is awesome, but its still butt ugly.

:-)

September 15, 2005 07:20PM
I have 2 - 17" monitors at home - an Apple Flatpanel and a Sony Flatpanel. Hate the Sony...LOVE the Apple. Like Mike said...budget was a consideration in me buying the Sony ($248 on Buy.com - could not resist).

I love having 34" of screen real estate. If I had the $$$, twin Apple 23"s would be my hands-down choice, just for the sheer brilliance of the images. Apple monitors are the best in the business IMHO.

I'll get there smiling smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 16, 2005 02:01AM
try the dell 24" joe. it will change your life.

sadly, due to the way that dell handles their merchandising, the only way to try one is to find one already in use or order one...
October 14, 2005 07:42PM
to all of you, I bought the Dell monitor, and it's a very sweet item....swivel, tilt, telescope, different card readers, good color and rez......to Mike, it's not ugly at all, just doesn't have that Apple design, more the Bill Gatzian thing.

Anyway thanks to you all for the help!

Cam
October 24, 2005 11:57PM
Cameron...

I just bought the Dell (still waiting on shipping) I'm wondering if you do any work in CS and how this display works for you in regards to color correcting and view angles. (Meaning do you see changes in light and darks if you move your eyes from the top of the screen to the bottom with just a slight head tilt?

If you know of any Photoshop gurus who have this display I'd love to get their thoughts if your world is strictly video.

Thanks in advance.

g-
October 25, 2005 12:16AM
oh, and this question speaks to my BIGGEST problem with all of dells flat panels (EXCEPT THE 24"winking smiley i cant, speak for the 20" wide version but ALL of the other dells ive used have had big time color differences based on viewing angle.

my 24" has a 179 degree viewing angle (cause at 180 it just isnt there anymore!) with very little or any associated color shifting.
October 25, 2005 04:15PM
Geno,
My work with the Dell monitor is mostly editing. Currently I use Photoshop on my iMac and then transfer to my G5, and Motion only on my G5. I have not noticed any color shifting, at least to MY eye. I set up my NTSC monitor and it is very close to the display monitor. The Dell is verrrrry sweet, you're going to like it.

Cam
October 25, 2005 04:21PM
i do a LOT of photoshop work for print on my dell 24 and although im not doing super in-depth color correcting, what i see on the monitor is pretty much what i get from my service bureau
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics