Has anyone with SBC had this problem, and if so what did you do to
get past it?

Thanks for all your help.

All the best

Rich
Re: Web Development
September 16, 2005 03:21PM
Don't know about SBC -

I've been hand coding most of my sites as no single tool works the way I want.

Style Master for the css sheets and PHP scripts, Taco Edit for the HTML and Cyber Duck for the FTP. I'm sure there are way better - these are small, simple and quick.

HTH

Ian
September 16, 2005 04:19PM
im not sure what youre asking in "...seems that SBC has no
web development for the Mac." by SBC do you mean southwestern bell corporation?

im guessing SBC is your web host? do you actually have a hosting/domain package? or do they just give their users web space for personal sites?

all sbc needs to give you is the ftp address for your folder. then youll need ftp software to upload it (if youre on a mac). but to my knowledge most web design software packages have built in ftp capabilities...

can you clarify what problems youre having?
Greg Kozikowski
September 17, 2005 07:36AM

If I had to guess at this, the company provides web space and simple web developement tools for the PC.

If you don't want to code your pages by hand, you can find Mac based tools available (see above).

If you want simple pages announcing a club meeting, you can do them by hand. It's not that hard. HTLM files are straight text files and can be written in TextEdit with the Plaint Text option selected.

Most other packages like Microsoft Word have HTML Export options available.

File Transfer Protocol (FTP) can be done by hand from any Terminal window, but most people use Fetch to push files around the internet.

Koz
September 17, 2005 01:57PM
Thanks for all the input!

If I have any other questions I will email individuals as to the questions.

Forgive me for being so vague, but this web developing stuff is new to me.

Again thanks for all the input.

All the best.

Rich
September 17, 2005 04:37PM
Rich,

If you're not a HTML coder, or don't want to be. You might check out a few things.

FreeWay Pro - from [www.softpress.com] incredibly simple to build full blown web sites. We use it not just for web development but for posting videos in process. Just encode your video, drop it on a page, and boom your done. It is painfully simple but very powerfull and writes compliant HTML code.

RapidWeaver - This lets you make a site in a few minutes based on one of their templates. Hanles QT ,photos, text, etc. Again super simple. [www.realmacsoftware.com]

.Mac from Apple - get a .mac account and you get to make your own site based on a template. Many web features included photo album sites, QT movies, etc.

[www.blogger.com] here you can get a web site launched for free in just a few minutes. You can add photos, log entries (can't do QT).

I hope this helps.

- T. Payton
Greg Kozikowski
September 17, 2005 10:49PM

<<<If I have any other questions I will email individuals as to the questions.>>>

This one's hard. Normally I would jump up and down and tell you to bring the questions back here to everyone can benefit from the discussion, however, this is a little off topic for the board, so I'm going to step back and let one of the board officials rule.

Koz
September 18, 2005 07:55PM
I don't know what SBC is, but I combine Dreamweaver MX with HTML editing. My site is simple (no FLASH) and does not crash (for 3 years my ISP has been in the Ukraine - only $60 per year for an awesome service).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics