What is the best brand of DVDs?

Posted by Howie 
What is the best brand of DVDs?
September 18, 2005 12:53PM
Hello

I have a G4 733 with the SuperDrive and was wondering what is the best brand of blank DVDs to use?

Also, how do I know if my SuperDrive uses DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs or both?

Thanks

Howie
Re: What is the best brand of DVDs?
September 18, 2005 01:14PM
DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs should both work in the burning, but DVD-Rs would play in more machines. You get what you paid for. I don't think there's a difference between the two for data storage, though.

"Which brand" is a common question in here. I like Fujis and Sonys; others have recommended Maxells. Memorex and Verbatim aren't good.
all ive ever used on a superdrive has been -R's, as i was told +R's werent compatible with superdrives??? ive never seen a bad tdk nor verbatim disk
September 18, 2005 03:22PM
Only the very latest G5 computers have DVD- and +R burners. The G4 computers only have DVD-R from the factory.

The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R is like HFS and FAT32. One is way different from the other and are specific formats that are not compatible.
September 18, 2005 03:55PM
> Only the very latest G5 computers have DVD- and +R burners. The G4
> computers only have DVD-R from the factory.

Interesting, I owned a G4 in 2003 for a few months and I'm pretty sure I've used DVD+Rs with it without problems. Perhaps they'd swapped out the drive? It was only months away from the launch of the G5.
September 18, 2005 08:07PM
Only DVD-Rs in the original G4 superdrives. You must have had a newer drive, Derek.

I like TDks, but there are lots of people here who use other brands well too. The main thing is not to buy the cheapest thing you can find in the two dollar store and expect no failures. Go for a name brand that you trust.
September 18, 2005 08:56PM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone ever tried Philips?

Howie
September 18, 2005 09:43PM
I've switched over to Ridata and have never looked back, I used to use Maxell. Also, and I'm not selling them, only recommending the to buy the disks, Meritline.com
Another vote for Ritek/Ridata; they're cheap but very reliable. For me. So far.

Scott
September 19, 2005 06:46AM
A good article on the topic:

[www.digitalfaq.com]
September 19, 2005 08:14AM
I switched from TDK to Ritek/Ridata because I heard they were reliable and not as expensive. It's true, I havn't had a bad one yet. I've gone through about 70 of them.
September 19, 2005 09:12AM
> A good article on the topic:
> [www.digitalfaq.com]

Great article, Bob -- thanks. Do you know if *any* of the tools recommended on www.videohelp.com are Mac-compatible, though? All their interfaces are PC and I'm not a big fan of risking a download of PC-only software onto my station.
September 19, 2005 01:59PM
I'm not aware of Mac versions of the programs they mention on "videohelp.com." I have a dual platform office, so I don't give it as much thought as I should. I'll send the info along if I run across Mac-compatible applications that perform functions similar to the ones mentioned in the article.
September 19, 2005 03:52PM
G4 733 (damn, that's old) - better make sure first of all you have your firmware updated to use high speed media. I can pretty much guarantee that old machine does not read DVD+Rs (Only the newest G5 Superdrives do that from the factory) and DVD-Rs are more accepted by a wider range of player/recorders.

I use Memorex 8x DVD-R media and have no issues at all.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics