Warning about FCP Studio Upgrade
September 26, 2005 09:05AM
It does not work with any prior version of FCP as stated on the LAFCPUG store web page which reads:

Note: This is the box you want to purchase if you currently OWN any prior version of Final Cut Pro.

It does not work with Academic versions. I found out the hard way by buying the upgrade ($579) and not being able to use it. I've shipped it back and HOPE that I can get a full refund.

The add at the store needs to be corrected.
Re: Warning about FCP Studio Upgrade
September 26, 2005 09:37AM
Well, that warning is stated on the academic version...
September 26, 2005 09:59AM
That's why if you're serious about any pro application, you don't buy Academic. If the Academic versions could be upgraded, why would anybody buy the regular versions?
September 26, 2005 10:30AM
My point is that the ads on the LAFCPUG and Amazon websites should NOT state that the upgrade is for any prior version of FCP when it's not correct. Certainly, the Academic versions are indeed versions of FCP. Those of us who are not as familiar with the policies and software as some of the professionals who visit this forum could be led to think that this upgrade would be ok for them since there are no exceptions stated in the advertisement. I certainly would not have purchased it had I been aware.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2005 11:42AM
Well I thought it was pretty self evident but obviously I was wrong. I'll add educational and NFR to the list of what you cannot upgrade.

and maurice, go here and read the FIRST line of system requirements:
[www.amazon.com]
September 26, 2005 01:07PM
you could also have seen from the Apple page

[www.apple.com]

What products qualify for the Final Cut Studio upgrade?
You may upgrade to Final Cut Studio from the retail version of either Final Cut Pro or Production Suite. Upgrade from any version of Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Studio for $699. If you already own Production Suite, you can upgrade to Final Cut Studio for $499.

Educational and Not-for-resale (NFR) versions do not qualify for upgrades.

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
September 26, 2005 01:09PM
Well this may very well be my oversight. Thanks for pointing this out. Next time I'll just buy the Academic version for $699. I hope I'm able to get a good refund from Amazon.
September 26, 2005 01:24PM
Thanks for your replay. However, if you follow the link from the LAFCPUG, it leads you to this page on Amazon which does not list any system requirements:

[www.amazon.com]

Perhaps I should have researched it further but I was depending on the ads on LAFCPUG and Amazon being thorough.

Thanks again.
i'm sure you'll get your money back - they're a good stand up company.

just for conversation sake, are you a student or are you just trying to save money?
September 26, 2005 01:29PM
this may or may not be related, but I have a friend who owned an academic version of FCP3 and she sent for the upgrade to FCP HD about a year or so ago. She didn't have any problems with making the full FCPHD work on her machine.

Now the question is, if she upgrades from the full (non academic)FCPHD 4.5, can she get the upgrade to the FCP studio? She plans to buy a new computer along with FCP Studio...any thoughts on this?
maurice, there IS a link there on that page for system requirements...
i think anyone buying academic software would be well advised to read all fine print.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2005 02:14PM
Hundreds of people buy through the lafcpug store via Amazon and no one has ever had a problem getting a refund.

Anonymous User
September 26, 2005 02:17PM
Jesus

No. That was a one time thing. You can go from FCP 3 academic to 4 but not from 3 academic to 5

September 26, 2005 02:32PM
thanks Michael,

I'll let her know that....so she wouldn't have a problem with FCP4.5HD to the the FCP studio pro then?

Jesus G.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2005 02:36PM
Cant upgrade FCP 4.5 educational to FCP 5 retail. Got to pay full price.

September 26, 2005 06:46PM
Not that I owe you an answer but my wife is a high school teacher and one of my kids is a student at Georgia Tech. Your question implied that I was seeking to save money illegitamately. I sort of resent that but I respect your right to be curious. And yes, with the cost of college being what it is, we are trying to save money wherever we legally can.

We use FCP simply as a hobby. We do my kids sports videos and family home videos for our own amusement and enjoyment. We do not make any money at using FCP and we are not looking to do so.

iMovie doesn't do some of the things I like to be able to do with FCP.
whoa, slow down maurice. there is no reason to be defensive. my question was fully legitimate. we do come across a number of shady types who try to bend the rules with with cracked or inneligible academic versions.

it's just kind of a sticky topic around here. you'll find our group to be one of the most upstanding, above-board computer useres anywhere... it's almost wierd!

given that your wife is a teacher, your academic purchase is totally legit. but going forward just be aware that pretty much ANY academic software is NOT upgradeable. and you'll have to pay the full academic price for every upgrade. so it may be in your best interest (if you plan on staying up to date) to go ahead and buy a full seat at some point in time.

best of luck to you, and please come back to the forum with any questions you may have

wG
September 26, 2005 09:01PM
""but I have a friend who owned an academic version of FCP3 and she sent for the upgrade to FCP HD about a year or so ago. She didn't have any problems with making the full FCPHD work on her machine.""

That was one special allowance that some took advantage of and many did not understand. The issue, as I remember it, was that since FCP 1.25 it has been necessary to install the next version over the last. When FCP 3 came to be, there were two versions - one for OS 9 and one for OS X. When the last of the G4's were shipped that could not run OS 9, it became problematic for you if you started with FCP 1 or 2 to upgrade since you could not even load them since they were only runnable on OS 9.

SOOOOO! Apple made a one time exception. When upgrading to FCP 4 from 3, you could use only your FCP 3 serial number instead of needing to have the old version installed. It also allowed - one time - anyone who owned FCP 3 - Academic - to upgrade to a full license of FCP 4.

Today the serial numbers are different for Full and Academic versions of every Apple upgrade software product so that it will never happen again. Maybe!
[I'll add educational and NFR to the list of what you cannot upgrade.]

Agh. Must keep..... reviewing... testing.,..agh... so hard. They make you work too hard for your NFR.... merciless slave drivers....

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Apply default Video Transition: Command-T.
Apply Default AUDIO Transition: Command-Option-T !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
September 27, 2005 12:33PM
Hi John,

So then what you're saying is my friend can upgrade from FCP 4.5HD to FCP Studio PRO without any problems or does she have to buy the whole production suite?
I was over her house and just out of curiosity, I opened up FCP3 and the title screen does have the word academic in it. Then I opened up the FCP HD and it does not have academic on the title screen.

Jesus G.
September 27, 2005 01:41PM
Evindentally your friend fell into the good deal when going from FCP 3 to FCP 4 and now she has the full license version. She can follow any upgrade path to FCP 5 or FCStudio that is offered.

The upgrade to FCP 5 from FCP 4 is $399.00 and $699 for FCP 4 to FCStudio.
Look around for better than MAP pricing (like the LAFCPUG store).
September 27, 2005 02:34PM
John,

Thanks for that info...i'll pass the info to my friend...i know she'll be happy to hear that!

Jesus G.
September 27, 2005 04:28PM
no she shouldn't be able to
her FULL version SN is for a EDU version so she will need to buy a full version

what matters is WHAT IS THE LAST FULL VERSION YOU HAVE

Post Edited (09-27-05 14:29)

[www.tofcpug.com]
September 27, 2005 04:59PM
David,
the last full version my friend has is the Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD..
September 27, 2005 05:31PM
NOOOO
the last full version your friend bough was FCP 3 you said
the FCP 4.5 was an upgrade version
you needed to input the FCP 3 serial number or have it installed before to install it correct?

[www.tofcpug.com]
October 05, 2005 10:07PM
G'day G'day,

Been reading this forum with interest as I am planning to buy new computer and upgrade to latest version of FCP Studio. 2 questions;

1. I currently own FCP2, I assume i can purchase the upgrade licence for FCP Studio, but am wondering about installation.

Can I install the upgrade straight on to the new machine, or do I have to load FCP 2 onto the new machine then install upgrade.

2. Been a fan of LAFCPUG for a while, is there any advantage to be gained making purchased through LAFCPUG given I live in Melbourne Australia, or should i go through local traders?

Thanks

Hooz
nope. all you have to do is have your serial number handy. it will prompt you for both the old and new numbers during the install.

in fact, i suggest erasing your drive and installing a clean tiger os before installing a "purchase level" fcp upgrade. sounds heavy handed i know, but im kind of neurotic about having a clean system for major updates.
Anonymous User
October 05, 2005 10:20PM
No advantage for Aussies I'm afraid. Best to use a local dealer. Yes, you need to load FCP 2 on your new Mac before upgrading to Final Cut Studio.

are you sure about that michael? i didnt have to have version 4 on my machine when i installed 5 (or 3 to 4, etc). does this have to do with the fact that his version is soo old?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics