HELP! Digital Noise on Converted PAL minidv.

Posted by ZIA 
ZIA
HELP! Digital Noise on Converted PAL minidv.
October 14, 2005 03:14AM
Hi guys

I took my music video project to the post house in Houston Texas and had them convert a NTSC minidv to PAL minidv.
I checked out the video and audio on there deck in PAL format and everything looked fine.
I sent the PAL minidv off to a PAL TV network in Pakistan because that's the tape they wanted it on and they replied that the PAL minidv has a lot of digital noise.
They claim that there decks are clean.
Now, I have a problem!
What should I do?
Can someone please help?

Thanks,

Zia
Hi, Zia-

This is a business or procedural question, really.

I hope you kept a copy of the conversion tape/file in PAL.

If not, it might be worth paying for another conversion, or getting Nattress' conversion software do to it yourself.
Depends on your client, really.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Make a PAL DV file available immediately on the `net. Let `em know they can pull it down right away, and that

2) the second tape (another copy!) is on it's way, as well as a DVD-R with the file on it. Maybe even a PAL DVD-Video, as a backup.

3) I'd include an SASE and ask for the original tape back so you can figure out what happened to it, too.

It's incumbent upon you to guarantee the integrity of the file or tape,
triple check all delivery elements.

Your post house might've messed up, but I suspect the original tape got damaged in transit somehow. Moisture? Heat? Humidity? Who knows?

That's my two cents.
Good luck.

tc
ZIA
Re: HELP! Digital Noise on Converted PAL minidv.
October 14, 2005 03:45PM
Thank you so much TC.
Since I have never made PAL DV file, my question to you is how do I make a PAL DV file.
First, it was shot on NTSC. So how would I be able to convert to PAL + DV file?
Is it something the post house does or I can do it myself?
I looked into the Nattress conversion software and it requires you to have a PAL broadcast monitor to be able to see the end results on the monitor (according to Graeme Nattress).
So again, how can I make a DV file in PAL?

Thanks once again,

Zia
October 14, 2005 03:48PM
Zia, one thing you can always do is send the PAL conversion to me, and I'll check it here on my PAL gear for you. How long is your project BTW?

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
ZIA
October 14, 2005 04:04PM
Hi Graeme,

Are you saying that I can send my PAL converted MiniDV out you so you can check it out and make sure it is done right? If I can do that, it would be great!
My music video project is 4min 8sec.
I could even send you the NTSC minidv if you'd like to convert it or I can get another PAL converted minidv copy from the post house and send it out to you.
Either way, it would be greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,

Zia
Zia:

You can certainly do this yourself, since you are working in DV.

Go the way of Guru Graeme! I would guess he'll help you get through the process if he's got time. He's clearly amongst the most knowledgeable and helpful on this forum.

You will need a fairly fast net connection and enough FTP space, but a music video length piece should be do-able. I (just now this minute!) transfered a 3 minute+ piece, it ended up about 678 megabytes.

Go get `em!

tc
October 14, 2005 04:08PM
I can do the conversion for you. Email me graeme@nattress.com and we'll arrange details.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
ZIA
October 14, 2005 06:35PM
Thanks,
you guys are great!

Zia
from Usa to Pakistan ? Maybe you package wen't under some "special heavy scanning" You never know our days...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics