Choosing the correct audio capture settings

Posted by Michael Hart 
<HTML>This question has to do with the audio capture settings in FCP 2. It's a bit long but I would appreciate the help.

I am capturing a few wedding interviews that were shot on an xl1. I am using the xl1 to capture it into the cpu. Here is the problem.

I know the person who shot it used a wireless mic connected to the xl1 for the interview sequence. I'm pretty sure that he used a mix from the onboard mic and the wireless to achieve his sound. It was 12 bit audio recording as well.

What I want to do is take the audio from the wireless mic. When I play the footage on the xl-1 and listen to the audio direct from the camera with the headphones on, and select Stereo 2 on the xl-1, the wireless mic sounds perfect..loud and full. So I go and capture it into the cpu via firewire and I barely get any sound from the wireless. It seems it is completely from the on board shot gun. No matter what selections I make in
final cut 2 - ch1 + ch2, ch1R, Ch2L, stereo mix, or mono mix I still get the same result.

I need the wireless mic sound loud and clear. I need to know whether to change settings on the xl1's output or change the settings in fcp2. Or what changes to make on them together. It sounds great on the xl1 but the same no matter what after capture.

Totally perplexed ....would appreciate any help! Thanks

Michael Hart</HTML>
<HTML>Hi Michael:

Not having an XL-1 laying around here, it's difficult to answer your question. When you capture to FCP, I assume you are capturing 1 & 2 and NOT stereo? That would be the first thing to check.

Does the XL-1 have a switch or button for chosing which audio channel is output to FireWire or just for monitoring? If it does have a facility for selecting which channel is output via FireWire, you would, of course, need to set it to output only Ch 2. I have a feeling that it doesn't but I don't have one handy to try it. Typically, a function like this is just for monitoring.

If you can get FCP to capture 1 & 2, you will obviously be able to disarm audio channel one and just use your desired sound from channel two. Also, are your pan controls in FCP set correctly? If you don't have channel one and two spread hard left and hard right, the two will blend in your final output. Check this.

Hope that this helps you out or at least gives you a shove in the right direction.

Dan Brockett

Big Little Films(tm), Inc.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics