previous frame results in dropped frames

Posted by Leo Ticheli 
<HTML>Here's the problem, and as far as I know, everyone working with uncompressed video in NTSC has it; PAL users do not. You hit the previous frame button a few times and then hit play. You get the dropped frame alert every time. I have found three work-arounds, none of which are acceptable: 1. Turn off external video (the NTSC monitor) while you edit and turn it back on only to play the sequence for the client. This works 100% of the time, but is difficult with multiple clients in the room. 2. Turn off video mirroring to the desktop. Some have reported that they like this way of working; I hate it and worse it often does not work. 3. After using the previous frame button, toggle the Viewer/Canvas, play for a couple of seconds, toggle again and hit play. This works almost all the time, but even an unsophisticated client is bound to ask you what the devil you are doing with all those extra key strokes. 4. After using the previous frame button, move the point to a place past where you started and hit play. This works some of the time; again, extra key strokes and frequent failures. I can tell you, your credibility drops like the Titantic after a the dropped frame alert pops up more than once. A frequently suggested "fix" is to turn off the preference for dropped frame alerts. All this does is give you jerky playback and system freezes leading to total lockups. None of these "solutions" is really acceptable when using FCP in a supervised edit (one of our editors refuses to use the room in a supervised edit with the dropped frame problem); it is imperative that this problem be fixed and pronto! If you're a professional user of FCP with uncompressed video, please post to this thread and perhaps Apple will respond. According to my card manufacturer, Digital Voodoo, Apple is aware of the problem, but wether or not they are addressing it is unknown. One more thing, if anyone out there is using uncompressed, either 8 or 10 bit, without experiencing this bug, please, please let me know how you are doing it!</HTML>
<HTML>I'll get a Voodoo guy to contact you via this board. Stand by

mike</HTML>
Jeff Bernstein
Re: previous frame results in dropped frames
July 27, 2001 12:44PM
<HTML>The reverse frame bug is a known bug in Quicktime. Specifically, it is a bug in the Quicktime Cache Manager. While the cache manager was very improved in Quicktime 5.02, they still have not fixed a few major low-level bugs.

Turning off the dropped-frame warning will not help you.

The mirror on desktop problem is a completely different issue. We always recommend to our clients to turn off mirror on desktop and have never received a complaint. However, if you have a G4 that came with a nVidia GeForce MX card, you probably are having a ton of problems. This is because the drivers from Apple for it have been complete pieces of doo-doo up until last week. Apple just released 2.1.1 of the drivers with a firmware upgrade to fix the doo-doo. In addition, Digital Voodoo just released their 5.0 drivers a few days ago to make everything happy. The new 5.0 drivers will allegedly let you use mirror on desktop, too! We have not had time, yet, to play with these new drivers to test for stability, but so far, things sound good.

If you are looking for someone to complain to for your reverse frame issue, you need to bitch at both the Final Cut Pro and Quicktime team. For the Final Cut Pro team will then need to bitch at the Quicktime team.Leo Ticheli wrote:</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics