Syncing sound/video w/2 cams

<HTML>Hi all:

I've been doing weddings as a means to pay for my camera and editing equipment which consists of two Canon GL1s and a G4 with FCP2.0. I hope I'm not asking something totally obvious here, but maybe you can help me. I'm using the two-camera setup to cover those events in order to provide a better shot variety and also to hide my inexperience, via having a second camera to go to, when camera A does not have a perfect shot. My question is what is the best way to cut between the two cameras, while, say keeping the sound from camera A, which is the best sound. I've been doing it manually for the first couple of events I shot, i.e. cutting between the two and finding the frame by hand. But I usually like to use the sound from camera A, which has the better mikes, a wireless that I usually rent and a Sennheiser ME-66 that I own. Is there a way to sync the timecode between the two so it stays in sync throughout the tape with camera B, so I can cut back and forth easily?

P.S. I went to film school many years ago, and I've only recently started doing this again because of the affordability of the whole thing. I remember back then, people who where doing documentary-style filmmaking with 16mm film cameras used to use a sort of electronic "slate" device that the soundperson would have on his belt. At the beginning of each take the soundperson would push the button on this and a red light would flash, while emitting a beep sound and the cameraperson would be shooting that so he could sync the flash with the beep at the beginning on each take. Is a system like that used on video cameras, or is it redundant and I'm asking something totally obvious?</HTML>
<HTML>Put camera B in track V1 and camera A in track V2. Get them in sync with each other using marker, slates or whatever makes sense to you. Then use the green visibility light an the far left of the timeline to toggle on/off the A camera track. (So you can see the B camera when you need to) When you see something from the B camera, use your razor blade and cut a "hole" (ie, ins and outs) in the A track to reveal the b track for the specified "hole" duration.

Steve Martin
Creative Director
www.dvcreators.net
World's best DV Workshops- Coast-to-coast
"Secrets of Final Cut Pro" CD now shipping!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics