Adding bass to crappy audio?

Posted by Adam 
Adding bass to crappy audio?
October 20, 2005 04:02PM
Is there a way to correct tinny sounding audio using the audio filters provided by FCP4.5? I have a tape from somebody that they want me to put in the video, and the audio sounds sort of tinny of the guy speaking in the tape.

Thanks for any info,
Adam
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Adding bass to crappy audio?
October 20, 2005 06:09PM
You can help. If you do this just right, you can not only make the announcer more forceful, you can bring up the air conditioner noise and Metro Bus rumble as well. Good luck.

This is in FCP5. I can't get on the FCP 4.5 machine to find out if the tools are on there as well.

Effects, Audio Filters, Apple, AUGraphic Eq

Mess around with the controls from about 200 Hz and lower. That's where most bass sounds are. You need to listen to this on a really good sound system so you don't boost something by accident.

Koz

October 20, 2005 06:30PM
Just for clarification, the AUGraphic EQ is on 4.5 as well.

Andy
Greg Kozikowski
October 20, 2005 06:47PM
<<<Just for clarification, the AUGraphic EQ is on 4.5 as well.>>>

Thank Yew. There's an actual job on that machine and for some reason they don't want to stop while I mess around.

Koz

October 20, 2005 07:11PM
Isn't diligence one of the mortal sins? :-)

Andy
<<Isn't diligence one of the mortal sins?>>

So is clarification.

Scott
October 20, 2005 08:46PM
The ultimate mortal sin is a bad field recording. And you bet an amateur director would blame the editor for not being able to fix it.
October 20, 2005 09:15PM
Missed one step that's important in EQ testing in FCP 4.5 and above...

Do the excellent steps recommended above....but - in order to hear and play with the setting in real time do this:

1. have the clip to fix in your time line
2. put in and out point at either end of the clip
3. Double click the clip in timeline to open in viewer
4. add the eq filter be ready to play with the settings.

THEN

Make sure you select - in the view menu - LOOP PLAYBACK

THEN in the canvas window select the control - play in to out

You can then endlessly play the selection - slide your eq faders to tweak to just the right amount of bass, trebble or midrange you'd like

Once you are satisfied - move on.

ONE WARNING - make sure you set up the pull down "windows arrange" menu for the audio mixer preset

THEN make sure you have the record keyframes icon OFF (little icon in upper right hand corner of the mixer window) - otherwise every time you play with your eq settings - you will be recording them as keyframes to the time line...you only want to make one change - not a bunch of them over time.

Have fun - Andy
Greg Kozikowski
October 20, 2005 11:27PM
This is me printing the thread......

One more poke at monitoring. You need to do these adjustments listening to a totally excellent sound system. Bad adjustments at 20 Hz will register on the Richter Scale.

Are you the upper or the lower Field?

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics