OT: BURBANK FILM PERMITS - Ordinance Hearing next week

Posted by EMC 
EMC
OT: BURBANK FILM PERMITS - Ordinance Hearing next week
December 04, 2008 07:57PM
FYI: The Burbank City Council is considering revisions to the City?s Film Permit Ordinance that will allow the use of hand held cameras without a permit and waiver of fees for non-profit organizations and student productions, as well as other updates to address changes in technology. The City Council will be considering the proposed ordinance at its next meeting on Tuesday, December 9 @ 6pm.

LINKS:
[burbank.granicus.com] (Staff Report)
[burbank.granicus.com] (FAQ)
Burbank City Council Email Address for comments: BurbankCouncil@ci.burbank.ca.us

MY OPINION (FWIW): This update is long overdue and I support these changes wholeheartedly, but in my opinion they don?t go far enough. It is still illegal for an individual to film on private property without a permit, whether that?s their own home or place of business, if they use ancillary lighting &/or audio equipment. This whole matter came to head when then Mayor Marsha Ramos was told by the City Attorney?s Office that she could not film a time-sensitive endorsement for a Presidential Candidate she supported on her own property without a permit & insurance. The reason we have restrictions according to Staff is to ?protect the public from the safety hazards and disruption which can be associated with filming activities?. I totally understand this with respect to major Film/TV production on public property, which is what the original ordinance was created to address, but to restrict individuals & freelancers from filming on private property that does not pose a threat to public safety is unreasonable and overbearing. An individual setting up a few lights poses no more a fire threat than someone using a 1000w Lowes work light in their home or garage. A small 1-3 person crew setting up a few lights for a low budget indie film, music video, commercial, wedding ceremony/reception or interview on private property is not going to negatively impact the public or create a nuisance re noise/traffic etc. I hope common sense will prevail and the necessary changes made to allow freelancers and semi-pro photographers, videographers and filmmakers to shoot in their own homes or other private property without a time consuming, bureaucratic and costly ($350) permit process, whether for private, educational, political, commercial or non-commercial purposes. Burbank is after all suppose to be the ?media capital of the world?!
EMC
Re: OT: BURBANK FILM PERMITS - Ordinance Hearing next week
December 13, 2008 01:34PM
Quick Update for those interested; The Burbank City Council did pass the proposed ordinance "as is" (5-0) with some minor language tweaks. That means you can now legally shoot on most private & public property (with some exceptions) with a hand-held camera, along with a tripod and on-camera light, as long as you're not taking over an area i.e. blocking pedestrian traffic etc.

Also, at least 2 Council members expressed support for updating our Home Occupation ordinance to be more flexible & accommodating to media freelancers working from home (studios) in areas such as video editing, audio post, web/graphic design etc. That's going to come back as a separate agenda item early next year and I'll keep everyone posted.

Unfortunately despite my best efforts the Council did not grant a permit/fee waiver for small-scale productions, either a single Videographer or small crew if they use external lights and audio gear. I am very disappointed but haven?t given up! I?ll be back to make one more appeal @ the 2nd reading this Tuesday night. If a few more people can come down and speak in support, perhaps it'll make a difference...they do tend to be more responsive when there's a (angry) crowd.

Below is a link to some video of the Council discussions on this matter, as well as an article and letter that appeared in today's local newspaper (Burbank Leader). It's not too late to email the Council your thoughts @ <CityCouncil@ci.burbank.ca.us> Cheers!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.burbankleader.com]

[www.goldstreet.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics