Military Veteran needs your help

Posted by usajpntv 
Military Veteran needs your help
May 12, 2009 03:48PM
All,

I have been fighting the VA (Veterans Administration) for 2 years to allow me attend "Video Symphony". I have been in or around video production (mostly as it relates to satellite broadcast - I have been a broardcast operator wiith Directv for 7 years handing uplink, downlink and fiber network health) since leaving the military 12 years ago, and was ready to learn something new.

Finally! They have said "Yes" (Yeah I know!...The VA said yes!...to me!) This is were I hope someone can help me. In order for me to attend the school. I have to show the government that there is a demend for video editor out there The government calls this a "Labor Market Survey". In which I have to have 10 people or companies that would say they'd hire a video editor from Video symphony. Does not mean you have to hire me now or in the future, but that you would hire a video editor from video symphony.

So if you can help me out I would so thankful...If you have any question or think you can help please give me a call 562-841-8965

Thanks

Mark

S/F

P.S. I am set to start school July 7 and I have been checking for positions on Monster.com/Latimes.com and Calmis.ca.gov
Re: Military Veteran needs your help
May 12, 2009 07:45PM
Hi Mark-

I think that might be a bit difficult. Video Symphony is certainly one qualified training center but I don't imagine they can guarantee placement to their graduates. Working as an editor is an extremely competitive market and there are lots of people vying for the jobs, especially these days. That's not to say you couldn't get a gig with Video Symphony training alone but that's also to say that it should be one component of a long-term effort to forge a career.

I don't know how it works with the military but it seems like they're asking for a bit of chicken before the egg. If you do really well in Video Symphony, have a great reel and get lucky (especially with marketing your skills), yes you'll probably get a gig at some point. But it's not really a guarantee one way or the other. Would it not make more sense to simply work with the folks at Video Symphony to find out what sort of jobs their alumni have gone onto and present that as your evidence that their training potentially leads to employment? But somehow finding 10 companies or individuals to just vouch for the training out of the blue that seems like a tall order.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
May 13, 2009 01:55PM
Noah,

Thanks for your reply. I'm just looking to add another skill to my already long career in TV production. I already have a nitch and a client base. All I'm try to do now is, as you mentioned, make myself more marketable.

The only way to do that, I think, is add more skills to the one's I already have. So I ask the VA and this is the hertle I have to get over before They'll let me go to Video Symphony.

I'm not looking for a voucher, just 10 companies or individuals that would hire a person from Video Symphony. This does'nt mean they have to hire me now or in the future. The Labor market survey is only to show the goverment they video editors are in demend. That's it!
May 31, 2009 12:22PM
Talk to the counselors at Video Symphony. Not only their registration personnel but also their placement counselors. I know that they can create this for you. After all that's their business and I'm sure they can do this to help you get enrolled.

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics