The Other Side of Paradise

Posted by jamesnw 
December 07, 2007 11:52AM
Here's my first (paid) freelance work... It's for a wealthy foundation in Canada who donates money to a food security project in Guatemala.

Let me know what you think!

(Warning: a lot of subtitles)

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
Re: The Other Side of Paradise
December 07, 2007 12:45PM
Nice effort. Lots of zooms, eh?

Such a beautiful country. But thats the problem. I'm seeing way to much beauty and not enough problem. Close ups of mud and wide shots of beauty don't make me reach into my wallet. Not sure if this is your footage or someone else's, but I could sure use a bit more wide shots of destruction, pollution, deforestation and a bit less of awe inspiring beauty.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 07, 2007 01:10PM
Michael makes an excellent point. The people are too happy! This looks a bit like a tourism video. The shots don't match what the people are saying. I'm of the same mind -- toughen this up.

The first move I'd make is kill the music. It's far, far, far, far too merry. Don't get seduced just because a certain piece of music sounds good on its own. Decorum is everything. Same for the photography -- in editing, your #1 task isn't to put in the prettiest shots; it's to put in the most fitting shots that convey the message you need. That rack focus from the flower, for example, doesn't tell me anything I need to know. In fact, it confuses me -- when you put images to words/script, people will try to read it. And if the message is unclear, jumbled or unfitting, it baffles the viewer and distracts him, making him dislike as well as tune out from your piece.

The narrator is weak. It's probably one of you guys (the filmmakers) doing this, right? Unfortunately, when a narrator doesn't have "The Voice" (a term stolen from Travis, I think), you can tell right away. The narrator's voice cracks, doesn't have the right expression, and sounds too young and uncertain for the gravitas you need. Find somebody older with a richer voice and proper training if you can. The piece looks great and I don't think you'll have problems finding actors.

I saw a History Channel (?) documentary on the Colombian drug cartels on the plane in October and it was narrated by Miguel Ferrer (Robocop and Traffic), and he did an excellent job, sounding even deeper and quite different from when he's acting onscreen. You can hear that he switched modes and delivered what was necessary.

Put on your journalistic hat and get into the nitty-gritties of the people's experiences. Hopefully your footage digs deep enough.

Your piece reminds me of a PSA I did many years ago:

[www.derekmok.com]

www.derekmok.com
December 08, 2007 10:56AM
I'm enjoying the criticisms- partly because they're exactly what the client "wants".

Part of an email from the client's daughter (my main contact):

"The only thing Dad is certain of is LOTS of nature, scenery, the vista's and lush forests (the walk from the town to the village) in the video.

So, if that's in there plus all the other amazing features of Guatemala, this is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Same for the music- the artists are people the client required. Sadly, not sure if I'll have much of a chance for major changes anymore on this- but thanks for the critique!
December 08, 2007 11:23AM
> Same for the music- the artists are people the client required. Sadly, not sure if I'll have much of
> a chance for major changes anymore on this- but thanks for the critique!

Ouch. We've all been there -- a client who has dubious film background but has enough jargon in his/her head and wants to direct!

Well, just make sure their name goes on in big letters under "Directed by" or "Produced by" eye rolling smiley. Obviously it'd be nice if you can bring them around and make this actually work, but if they're adamant, then they get final say.

Depending on your relationship with them, you could try just doing a version that shows what you're trying to do. This is only if the client is a mellow type who is open to other ideas. For example, something as simple as swapping out the music and putting in a more suitable alternate. If they see how it works better (if it does), they might come around on their own.

www.derekmok.com
December 08, 2007 11:29AM
I'd try Derek's advice. It's a serious situation and idea here is to get folks to pull money out of their wallet. They aint going too, unless they see the need. This doesn't show the need. It shows the region is ripe for tourism, not help.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 12, 2007 10:31PM
I just got the response to the video from the rich client who funded it. His two responses: he loves the beauty that we show, and he loves the music we chose.

This isn't to say that I'm trying to wiggle out of criticism- more because I got a chuckle out of the dichotomy of responses.

And as an overall general response (ok, maybe this one's trying to wiggle a bit), but the truth is that Guatemala IS a beautiful country... the worst damage I saw, I put it in. The songs I put in were the songs I heard people singing.

All that to say, from a journalistic and client-pleasing stand point, I think I have done my job. Maybe, from a fund raising standpoint, this video doesn't cut it- but I don't think that's what the client was going for overall... more of a subtle pat on his back for giving money to helping, plus a (really expensive) way of remembering a trip he took to the same places.

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
February 16, 2008 02:47AM
good overall. better framing that i have ever done.

the v/o is to lo and it sound like someone trying to imitate a v/o voice. It could have been better if it was just a regular voice with concern.

scale of 1-10 ten being best. 7

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics