What do you think?

Posted by bobbygiles 
What do you think?
December 08, 2008 02:53PM
Hello everyone!

Here I have my Highlights Demo Reel to watch. If you have a moment would you watch it and leave any cons and pros about the reel. Here's the lnik

Thanks again
Bobby Holbrook II
Re: What do you think?
December 08, 2008 03:43PM
My main suggestion is: Don't be so slavishly adherent to the music. Do this litmus test: Turn off your sound and watch the reel. I think you'll easily spot the places where shots are being cut off very prematurely because you were cutting dead to the beat. Before we can even tell what the graphic is saying, or get a feel for whether the shot/graphic is good or not, we're already cutting to something else. The result is that I'm seeing a blitz of images that could've been YouTube extractions, because I didn't get enough time to see any production values, lighting, the quality of the animations, etc.

What I'd do is first listen to your music track a few times, get into the groove. Now turn it off in your timeline (CONTROL-B) and cut the images. Use the general groove you remember from the music, but don't be so stiff about it, just cut the images according to the general rhythm, but let the shots be cut the way they want to be cut. Now turn your music track back on. More likely than not, you'll have a sequence that still has the energy of the music, but looks much better in terms of visual rhythm.

www.derekmok.com
December 08, 2008 06:34PM
Hey Bobby,

Yeah...I am with Derek. I watch demos with the sound off because some peeps depend too much on cutting to a track. Cutting to the beat almost never works with a demo - it detracts from the work. You get the feeling you are watching a music video and not someone's best work.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 11, 2008 05:04PM
Thanks Guys, but this is only a highlights piece that then brings you into the main menu on the entire dvd demo. On the main menu you can choose from a variety of entire spots, long form and other pieces. The highlights is just to spark the potential clients interest and is why I chose to use such quick cuts and chose to use the music to take the viewer on a "emotional roller coaster" through these quick clips. When I put this together I was thinking of who would be watching this (Marketing Dir., Ad Agn., exc..) and what they would like to see and feel.
Thanks
Bobby
January 20, 2009 02:04PM
Hey there Bob ... just viewed your demo.
You have some great stuff there!
I watched it without sound first ... and I totally agree with both Derek & Joe.
Once I put the sound to it ... I see where your coming from.
I wonder, have you done any modifications to it since & if so, why don't you post another version for review?
Just my thoughts smiling smiley
Cody

computer repair memphis ... we know computers
January 20, 2009 03:46PM
Thanks Cody, I'm slammed for a while but as soon as I can will re-edit and even add 4 or 5 projects recently completed.
Thanks
Bobby
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics