Gymkhana Practice: Ken Block

Posted by Joshua Martelli 
Gymkhana Practice: Ken Block
December 04, 2008 05:44PM
Hey everyone -
Just wanted to share some recent work we produced for Ken Block and DC Shoes:

Hope you like it.
Shot on Panasonic HVX200's and cut with FCPS2.
Very basic in terms of shooting / editing - but I think you'll agree we do a good job of staying out of the way of the "story" - which is Ken's driving.

Cheers!

Joshua Martelli
Director of TV/Film Production
Mad Media
www.madmedia.com
josh@madmedia.com
Re: Gymkhana Practice: Ken Block
December 06, 2008 10:15PM
that poor car! that was a hoot!
February 26, 2009 12:48PM
Pros:
* Content kicks a$$
* Edits work well
* camera angles are nice

Cons:
* Missing a kickin' music track
* Nat sound is clipped / distorted
* The definition of Gymkhana is not up near long enough to even get past the first sentence. I wanted to know what it was and had to go back & freeze the video. That should be up for at least 10 seconds.
* Not fond of the font used & the way graphic pages are brought on / laid out
* It's about a minute loo long

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 26, 2009 01:11PM
I agree with many of Joe's points -- not too wild about the cards, and way too much text. The opening drags badly because you're making us wait for too long, while not saying much.

But editing-wise I also think it needs a bit more. Your rhythms are flat at spots because there's no contrast. Every shot stays onscreen for approximately the same amount of time. If I were editing this, I'd be inclined to shorten the driving in between set pieces, so that you can slow down at the beginning of each set piece and then accelerate. What about slow versus fast motion? (I hate time remaps that ramp from superfast to slow or vice versa, but judicious use of slow-mos can often punch up a moment)

I don't agree that you necessarily need a music track. But do you have the option of doing more sound design -- for example, dropping out the sound at spots? What about perspective? I hear no difference in the tonal perspective when we're inside the car and when we're out.

So, in terms of the "story", you got across all the beats, but not always in a particularly interesting way. Some push-pull, slow down-speed up, and contrasts would service the "story" better, I think.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics