please review my work

Posted by ALeone86 
please review my work
April 24, 2009 05:00PM
well i had some hard drive issues and all types of problems but now i have it figured out. heres one of the most recent vids i did. looking for some crits. if you dont like jump cuts dont watch (personally im not a fan but my boss wants the sxephil style) and i was not the camera man on this i was just handed this footage and told to do my best also the will be strong not so much in language just in style so be prepped and the volume is hella loud i tried getting it lower but boss man wanted it cranked so people with @#$%& laptop speakers could hear listen to it really loud

encoded H.264, 640x480, data rate limited to 2000kb/s, i believe audio is at 96 khz

here it is

Re: please review my work
April 24, 2009 07:18PM
I'm going to keep quiet on this one because I hate this kind of show. So I'm definitely the wrong audience for it.

One thing, though -- again, lots of dead cuts to music ruin the rhythm. I feel like the editing's not cutting content, but just mindlessly following an arbitrary hard-rock track. For example, I was barely halfway done reading that lower 3rd at 2:22 when it cut out, just because the music said so. Why bother putting any information on a banner if you don't keep it up long enough to read? Besides, there were two guys onscreen. Which one is it? Next time, put a darker banner on. Almost all of the graphics had extremely poor visibility because of the thin font and milky-white backgrounds.

www.derekmok.com
April 24, 2009 08:10PM
thanks bro, i appreciate you strugglin to watch my clip to provide crits and yes my original graphics had bars, but they were ousted by the higher ups creative descisions. the show is actually being shot in a way that i can only describe as "home made". we have everything needed to produce a high production quality show, but its being pushed to conform to the horrid style of popular youtube videos. Also pre-production is pretty much non existent so, bam, this is what you get. im trying to sneak a higher production value into the program. hopefully it works
May 03, 2009 05:58PM
My (honest) 2 cents:

Technical-wise...it's a good example of everything you shouldn't do in post. It definitely looks and sounds like a home movie cut with 2 VCRs (if that's the look your client was going for as you mentioned - you nailed that). Hard to watch - shaky as Blair Witch Project.

Cutting to the beat does not work with this. You cut away in the middle of talking, action, etc. The piece never developed any rhythm.

Production Value-wise...I don't see any Production Value added in post. There was no attempt to treat the footage, polish the audio, design graphics...which is a shame because I would have gone ABSOLUTELY NUTS with audio & Motion Graphics Design to draw attention away from the rough shooting. The grafix pull this project way down in the "PV" category. The cut to the "PLANET PAULY" zoom at the beginning that was a totally different size clip that the footage was just scary. Was that a logo? Didn't get that at all.

Cannot blame the "higher ups" for everything. As an Editor, part of your responsibility is to explain your choices and why they are necessary. Standard for a lower 3rd up is 3 seconds minimum. Should have also given the client a few choices of lower 3rds and let them pick.

Seriously...I would Post it over again.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics