A piece of history

Posted by Mike Hardcastle 
A piece of history
January 06, 2011 05:46PM
Just thought some people may find this interesting. It was made 35 years ago, shot (by me as it happens) at the Cannes Film Festival, but has only very recently become available on the web.

The film itself is probably a bit obscure today. It was made as a plea for government assistance in getting a New Zealand feature film industry off the ground. The NZ Film Commission came into existence a couple of years later. And now we have Peter Jackson.

What is quite extraordinary about it is the film-makers who are interviewed - Spielberg, Scorcese, Herzog, Tobe Hooper, Paul Bartel and Dustin Hoffman. Fantastic choices by the director, Tony Williams and writer, Michael Heath.

[www.nzonscreen.com]

Enjoy !
Re: A piece of history
January 06, 2011 07:33PM
That was wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I'll also share this via twitter and facebook. Great stuff.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 07, 2011 01:53PM
Ok, finished watching all 4 clips. This is a wonderful gift to those of us who love Cinema. Would love to buy this doc if its available. Cant thank you enough for sharing this Mike. It's an absolute gem! My congrats to all involved. NZ should be proud.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 07, 2011 03:08PM
So glad to hear you liked it. My own role in making the film was small and I've always believed that the real stroke of genius about the film was the selection of those particular film-makers - because at that time they were just on the cusp of becoming famous. And it's not as though we shot another 5 or 6 who never made the cut.

I particularly love the bit where Herzog pulls up his shirt to show the bayonet wound he got in Morocco - if you've seen that BBC interview where he gets shot on camera, there's an identical moment when he shows the wound from the bullet. Hilarious.

As far as getting a copy - I'm still in touch with Tony Williams who directed the film - I'll see if he knows what the story is about that. I do know that it's been tied up with copyright issues for most of the last 35 years.

Mike
January 07, 2011 03:21PM
I actually thought the clip with Herzog was the most engaging. Just love this guys passion. Going so far as saying, paraphrase) "I'll kill you if you touch me while filming" and meaning it, says a lot about him does it not? smiling smiley And Hoffman searching for the words in his ultimately elegant reply on censorship. And got to LOVE Bartel. Such a 70s vibe about him along with Hooper. That decade was so much fun and nutty. Man, what a doc this is. LOVED the ending too.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 07, 2011 03:45PM
Shooting that interview with Herzog was one of the scariest moments I've ever had behind a camera. At one point he turned and looked straight down the lens and said (paraphrase) "Ze kamera is ze cold eye of death." That look he gave was simply electrifying and felt like the cold eye of death itself. I had the camera on my shoulder and I think the involuntary lurch I made is clearly visible.

But what a film-maker ! There are more of his films in my personal top 20 than any other director.

Mike
January 11, 2011 08:00PM
I realise that this thread is pretty much finished, but I'm currently unemployed and at a bit of a loose end, so have a bit of time on my hands. Just found this and thought it was brilliant...

"The US directors are very interesting to see so young and unguarded (even nakedly enthusiastic), but Herzog comes in and just completely blows them all away. It's like seeing priests interviewed, followed by a few words with God.

Intrusive producers, boats floating away, working with child actors... these really aren't problems at all compared to getting a shot with 50-60 armed soldiers watching you, knowing they have forbidden you to film there and they're basically doing it because you've threatened to kill the first one who tries to stop you.

I also enjoyed Dustin Hoffman's rather sweet and funny interview at the end. Thanks a lot for this!"

regards

Mike
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics