The Internet is developing to be an exhibition venue for the indie filmmaker; here's a clip for you to look at!

Posted by filmman 
This is from my Felliniesque movie -- in production. I'm shooting with my Sony Z1 at 1080i 60i. I'm not anticipating any 35mm release. Maybe a digital release if I can get it into the new digital projection theaters. Anyway, here is where the clip is:

[www.felliniesque.com]

I don't know how to make this into a link.

Thanks, Mike, for this forum!

Vic

PS: Just for your info, I made this in FCP 5.
I went from HDV project > Export QT self-contained movie.
Uncompressed 8 bit NTSC 48 kHz
Then I dragged it into Compressor 2.
mp4
Geometry 720 x 405
Constrain to 16:9

It came out as 15 MBs
I uploaded it to Google, and voila!
Hey Vic - this is a much better cut that your previous stuff. The intercutting between the two locations was much improved.

I have a few things though - first - the first six or seven cuts were disjointed and uncomfortable. I understand that you were going for a jump cut feel, but you still need to make the cuts work - possibly it was all the 'dead' audio space that made it feel kind of amatuer? I would suggest tightening this section.

Secondly, I got a bit bored with the angel and the guy dancing in the street. It was essentially the same thing over and over and over. Keep in mind that I am not a fan of dance, so this might be a personal bias. Could you get more story into the story?

Otherwise, like I said, much better. smiling smiley
The energy of the song is pretty high up, Vic -- I think you need to up the energy in your visuals as well. That doesn't always mean more cuts (though in this case it does), but more angles. More rhythm. If all you have are a studio singing shot (which works fine) and the dancing, then cut away from the dancing. Remember that there's power in cutting to a shot, even if it's a shot we've seen before. By leaving the shot for a few seconds, you extend the half-life of the shot and it will do more work for you than if you'd stayed on it. I think that's why both Jude and I think the dancing is too long -- you stayed on the medium for a long time.

www.derekmok.com
<<<angel and the guy dancing in the street. It was essentially the same thing >>>

I kept wanting them to do something Felliniesque, like cut to dancing on top of the bus, or the bus stops and 50 tattoo'd angels get out and hijack the guy.

The cop comes over and starts writing them a ticket. When he turns around, he has wings and a tattoo.

She folds herself around him in CU and the background falls away in flight.

Koz
Great reactions. You gave me fuel for the next edit. Thanks, everybody!
Hi.

It's a great video and the music is energetic. I don't know if have any footage left from the studio. If so, some cutways of the studio audio mixer and v.u. meters it would help to boost the action.
Also important is the reaction, dancing or shaking their heads, of the audio engineers to the music and the artist performance.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Hi Rui,

Thanks for the comments. I have some studio stuff. I'm going to re-cut it in a few days. I think everybody agreed that the pace should be faster and more scenes should be added. I have some reactions from the studio, but no close-ups of the board.

I wish I'd thought of putting the recording session on a bus like Koz suggested, but I used all my budget on cops, firemen and extras on Hollywood Blvd. I had the whole street blocked off for half the day too. LOL
Photogaph your own sound meters. Launch Soundtrack and photograph those.

[www.rawmaterialsoftware.com]

[www.rawmaterialsoftware.com]

These people used to make a free version of their BBC PPM sound meters.

Somebody in the pile did give me another idea. One at a time, people on the street stop to watch the dance performance. By the end, the whole block is swaying and clapping to the music.

Koz
I just finished shooting at that location. I love your cuts, the song, the singing, the singer and the bravery of dancing in the street for me.

An imagination captured by art is immune to much of that ordinary discouragement and purposelessness that everyone feels from time to time.

Millions flock to enjoy works of art which make them feel part of something, help them imagine different, more purposeful and effective living, or just help them reject, as with laughter, the evil and unpleasantness of the world. With no dangerous side effects.
Adding to the previous comments, it might be nice to differentiate between the studio and street footage with separate "looks". Of course, Nattress immediately comes to mind, but you might want to play around with various treatments to see what works for you.

Cameron Young
Thanks, Kathy, that's one of the nicest things anybody has said about one of my movies.

I have studio shots, rock band on stage, etc. I'm re-editing the clip now and will post it in a couple of days or so.

Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics