Share : Free Training Music
September 06, 2006 09:58PM
I made this short piece of music in Soundtrack a while ago to use when teaching FCP - I have a bunch of pictures of my local city that students can cut to this theme. I'm certainly no Mozart, but I thought maybe someone out there would appreciate some copyright free music.

It's only about 1 minute long, about 1.2mb compressed as AAC. You will need to convert it to AIFF to work well in FCP. To save the file, go to this URL http://members.iinet.com.au/~ibrite/FCP/FCP%20Training%20Music.m4a

and then do this

I hereby give my permission for this song to be used for any purpose, free of charge and with no copyright restrictions.

I'd love to see more people share music and clips and stuff here too smiling smiley
Re: Share : Free Training Music
September 06, 2006 10:16PM
VERY nice work Jude. Think I'm going to like this forum.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 10:21PM
Nice, Jude! I'll join in the fun:

[www.derekmok.com]

Same thing, constructed out of Soundtrack loops.

I think everybody and his granddad has used that piano loop before...

www.derekmok.com
September 06, 2006 10:23PM
Hmm, failed to make that a clickable link. Somebody teach me how to use this new forum format!

www.derekmok.com
September 06, 2006 10:33PM
Just paste a URL that has "["]; in it and it becomes a clikcable link. No need to futz with html or UBB code.

Go back and edit your post and take the url tags away and simply leave the web address. Or have fun with the tool bar.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 10:47PM
Theeeere we go...

Thanks, Mike.

www.derekmok.com
September 06, 2006 10:50PM
Nice one Derek. Maybe we should clarify on each post if you're sharing whether you want any copyright restrictions? I mean, some people might want to show things but not give them away - so maybe we should point out on the forum that unless it expressly says that you can use the media for free in the post, that it has all the normal copyright restrictions?

Gawd. that's so garbled.

What I mean is - do you think we should say that if you want to share clips or music or whatever, you should give a permission statement in the post like the one I did (I hereby give my permission for this song to be used for any purpose, free of charge and with no copyright restrictions. ) or something similar? Like - I give permission for this clip to be used for non-commercial use, or for any use as long as I get credit, or for private home use only, or for whatever?

I so should be working now. Damn you for doing interesting things, Mike tongue sticking out smiley
September 06, 2006 10:55PM
I doubt that will happen much. People are good about asking before stealing, I'd think.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 10:55PM
> Nice one Derek. Maybe we should clarify on each post if you're sharing whether you want any
> copyright restrictions?

That's an interesting one, Jude. I don't think either of us owns the copyright to this, because the raw materials we were using were not original. Apple and Soundtrack give us royalty-free loops, but I don't think we own them just by putting them together, do we?

But your point is great -- people showing their work here probably *should* clarify copyright. There's also something in copyright law which protects us: All copyright agreements must be on paper or they're invalid. And failure to put a copyright notification does *not* nullify one's protection by copyright laws.

> I so should be working now. Damn you for doing interesting things, Mike

And he said this forum would probably take a few weeks to kick in! Are you co-moderating this one, Jude?

www.derekmok.com
September 06, 2006 11:00PM
COOL! kinda led zep meets shakira...
September 06, 2006 11:02PM
I'm pretty sure that Apple specifically says that if you make a song in Soundtrack, you own the copyright. About 95% sure.

I don't know if I've got enough time to moderate another forum - I'm really snowed under at the moment ( as you can tell by the way I'm goofing off in here lol) . If work drops off for me I will certainly volunteer though.

>>People are good about asking before stealing, I'd think.<<

That's true, and I don't really even mean it in relation to stealing - more in relation to people knowing for certain that they can use material for what they want to do with it. I'm always careful with stuff like free fonts to check if they say no free commercial use, because I might forget where I got it and use it in a commercial product by mistake. If it says 'any purpose' I can feel comfortable that I'm not using someone's work in a way they didn't want or intend.
September 07, 2006 03:00AM
I liked the two pieces by Jude and Derek. They were both very subtle -- sort of like movie music, emotionally complex and evoking images easily. I wish I could compose like that. I love using Soundtrack Pro and I recognized the elements used quickly, but they were very well modified.

I'd like to post my own piece, which was the first one I ever composed on the Soundtrack Pro -- for that matter on the computer. I don't know how to write or read notes. But I always suspected that I had a good musical ear.

My piece is entitled vic's opus 1. It's a whimsical piece that I slapped together, each bit of music at full volume -- I didn't know anything about Soundtrack Pro at this time. The program mixed it automatically. LOL

I hope you'll be charitable in your feedback. Remember this is my first composition.

It's too big a file. I won't be leaving it on the server for more than a few days. All Rights Reserved on this one. You may immitate it though. LOL

[www.felliniesque.com]

Vic
September 07, 2006 03:26AM
thats not bad vic. i could likely use it for something... id like it MUCH better though if you took out many of the cheeky vocal bits - specifically the screaming guy at the front and all the "skiddly do wop" stuff - they are just too much of a contrast and kinda hack up the whole deal. and come on man - ending with thunderous applause, dont ya think thats a bit predictable - ha!

reall nice effort though.
September 07, 2006 09:01AM
I agree with Wayne on Vic's piece. The rest of the piece has a deliberate cheesy '70s "Shaft" kind of feel which would work great in comedy settings, but I've never seen a truly good set of voices in a low-end sound library like the free one in Soundtrack! Even Digital Juice's sound library, which is small but quite good (thanks to Deb Eschweiler's recommendation), blows when it comes to human "phrases".

Still, I like the use of the organ.

www.derekmok.com
September 07, 2006 09:07AM
the whole problem in my opinion with stock human elements is that very often when you add human bits they need to closely relate to the music content (in both pitch and performance). and too many times there is simply zero contextual link between the stock element and the music. and the whole thing ends up feeling way contrived...
September 07, 2006 09:28AM
Touché...

But I think it's also because whoever directed those voice actors tend not to know how to do it. If there was a director at all.

I tried some of Digital Juice's "cop" voices in a feature film I'm doing a temp sound mix on. They *sucked*. Because the voice actor tries to act with urgency, but I don't buy it. Sounds like some guy at a bar doing a bad impression instead of the real deal.

Can't say I would've done better if I'd recorded myself, but then again, I'm not asking people to pay for my untrained voice work!

www.derekmok.com
ZIA
September 07, 2006 11:48AM
Hey Derek,
Man I just loved the you arranged that piece!
I can just visualize a sad scene.
Is that free for us to use?
Thanks,

Zia
September 07, 2006 12:19PM
> Hey Derek,
> Man I just loved the you arranged that piece!
> I can just visualize a sad scene.
> Is that free for us to use?

Hey Zia, glad you liked it. You're welcome to download and use that piece "Artemisia Serenade" free of charge; just let me know where you're using it, credit it, and it would be nice to be able to see the finished piece when you're done.

www.derekmok.com
September 07, 2006 11:59PM
I'm inspired to use Soundtrack again! Thanks for the samples.
That our culture could survive without the songs, stories and images of our artists, is doubtful, but even if it could, who would want to live in it?
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics