HVX naked... chic singer and astros

Posted by wayne granzin 
HVX naked... chic singer and astros
September 06, 2006 10:16PM
ok, maybe "naked" is the wrong word. but HVX, no post. just camera, built in mic, p2 card and go!
what i like about this camera is that it makes the absolute most PRISTINE, CRYSTALINE SD DVDs ive seen this side of lucasfilm.

these clips wont quite give the full picture, but not bad for straight out' the camera to the web:

[understandinc.com]

[understandinc.com]
Re: HVX naked... chic singer and astros
September 06, 2006 10:26PM
Damn. That baseball footage was like watching it on TV. Sweet! Where were you sitting and how did you get such great seats?

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 10:31PM
dugout boxes, row 25 if i recall. about 200 feet from home plate. some friends have season tix and we all get to share the wealth.

that little meager-ass 13x zoom on the hvx was earning its salary huh!??!?!
September 06, 2006 10:37PM
I have never had a seat like that at any Dodger game. Yeah, that ol' zoom did a great job. No softness zoomed all the way in, eh?

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 10:40PM
Hey Wayne - it would be good to see some stuff shot undernatural light. The baseball stuff was pristine but really red - I figure that's because it's at night under lights?

Great picture though.
September 06, 2006 10:42PM
cranked to its hilt! the meager zoom is one of like 2 little things i miss about my xl2. other than that im a pretty happy camper : )
September 06, 2006 10:46PM
good point jude. to be honest, i was shooting that game under at least 4 big beers. so im glad its even watchable ; )

i may be shooting fridays game - if so, ill post those this weekend
September 06, 2006 10:51PM
Red?! Thats the infield dirt bouncing off the stadium lights. Thats what baseball looks like.

Aussies! sheesh. What do they know about baseball.

winking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 10:53PM
lol. I saw some once. It was in this movie.. what was it .. The Bad News Bears? A very nice looking game. Fun for the kids, and all winking smiley

*runs*
September 06, 2006 10:57PM
oh, here is something else ive noticed. i dont know if its an h264 thing or what, but if you download either of these clips to your machine, (requires QTpro which im sure we all have?) they play with much better mids and less red
September 07, 2006 12:46AM
That looks unreal!

Glad I ordered one of them HVX's

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
September 07, 2006 12:56AM
yeah man, seriously - its going to change your world. i made a downconvert SD dvd of that girls 20 minute live show and seriously, i couldnt stop watching it - it looked THAT GOOD. i was reading the logo in the mic stand and counting the hairs in front of her face. ive NEVER made a dvd that looked this good - EVER

i've just about wrapped my head around the pain in the butt P2 workflow (highly reccomend having a mac laptop handy for transfer). and once i get used to teh ultra loose and plasticy feeling focus and zoom rings - ill be clam-style happy!
September 07, 2006 01:15PM
Looks good alittle warm maybe. I have heard that the HD cams have a problem with motion gosting etc. this footage looks fine? How has your motion looked, sharp edges, any gosting?

Rick
September 07, 2006 01:26PM
none, rick - none at all! and thats really the main motivation for my posting these two clips.

i dont consider either of these clips particulary good from a shooting aspect. i just wanted to show the detail and how the camera handles motion straight out of the box.

i thought with all the anti HDV campaigning ive been doing that it might help justify my point by posting what id consider to be some reasonably sucessful "naked" DVCproHD
September 07, 2006 11:38PM
Makes me want popcorn!! I'm sold on the camera and the guy who shot the footage with it.
September 11, 2006 03:25PM
Wayne, I have to say that looks incredible. Can you give a little insight on how you brought it of the P2 card into the h264?

I have been looking at the higher end Panasonics, but if I can get one of these to adapt to a pan/tilt/zoom controller, I can afford 3 more!

Steve
September 12, 2006 01:30PM
nothing magical. just shot to the card, brought my old 17"g4 powerbook to the stadium with me and when a card was full, transferred to the laptop.

imported the p2 footage into a dvcproHD FCP timeline (no render!), selected the segment of the timeline i wanted to export. used export using quicktime conversion, selected h.264, picked the size, set the audio quality, selected internet fast start and off it went.

ftp to my samples page and done.

keep in mind - transferring P2 media onto the machine and into FCP is SLOOOOOWWWWW!
i HIGHLY suggest also buying a piece of software called P2 log. it allows you to preview before importing AND allows you to name your clips so you dont have that "00147BhD" P2 naming inside youre FCP project

you think this looks good, these clips resulted in the absolute crispest SD DVD export ive ever seen!
September 12, 2006 03:38PM
Thanks Wayne, That's exactly what I wanted to see/hear. I do a lot of onsite event videos that they want up on the web immediately, and if I can achieve THAT quality and save some major time without having to log and capture.....

i do have a problem with you brining your laptop to the game though.... i think people talking on their phones and pda's is out of hand, but a laptop????????? just giving you a hard time ;-)

Steve
September 12, 2006 03:52PM
yeah, i gotta tell ya. i felt like a pretentious TOOL!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics