Shanty Town, a teazer

Posted by filmman 
Shanty Town, a teazer
September 21, 2006 04:59PM
<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="

</embed>

I don't know if the embed code works on this page. If it doesn't you can see the trailer at the bottom of this page:

[www.releasing.net]

I shot this with a Canon Optura a few years ago. I wanted to end up with a promo or trailer to promote the movie. I'd appreciate any helpful remarks so I can improve it.

I put in a few effects from the filter list. I tried to manipulate the images in FCP5 using compositing filters such as sepia and emboss. I was trying to give the old film look. Oops, I shouldn't try. ... Okay, I did give it the old film look :-)

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments and/or constructive criticism.
Re: Shanty Town, a teazer
September 21, 2006 05:02PM
I see the embed code didn't work. Okay, you can use the link I provide [www.releasing.net]

Just remember I have two trailers on one page. Shanty Town is at the bottom of the page.
September 21, 2006 05:34PM
This isn't really a trailer, more like an excerpt.

a) Music. What's cheesy '70s garage-metal guitar doing in a film set in the 1800s? Stick to the slide guitar. Even blues music is more of a 20-Century thing, but it evokes much more period flavour. I might suggest looking at some of the gospel and primitive black country music, for example from Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music, or take a look at the film Glory. Choose a few pieces that can fit, then blend them in with the trailer.
b) Good Lord...kill the Ripple Dissolve. Pure camembert cheese.
c) Probably not much you can do about it now, but the costumes don't fit either. My suggestion would be to actually change the setting to something unspecific. With the exception of the woman's costume, the clothes look like Gap/Banana Republic.
d) The acting is far, far better than your previous film, but you're showing too much of it. Heighten the scenes, cut it in more of a trailer style. Don't give us the whole scene.
e) Cut down drastically on the white guy. His acting is poor, looking like he planned every gesture, accent and beat. When he says "So you're the killer", I almost burst out laughing. He comes off as phony, while the black actors by and large do fine.
f) Don't you have any other locations aside from that river bank? The way it is now, you're telling us (erroneously?) the whole feature film's going to take place on that river bank. It's a surefire way to make people think your film is low-budget and boring. If you have other locations, set pieces, scenes and interactions, go there. Trailers should cast a wide, shallow web, suggestion the multiplexities of the film.
g) Why fade to black after the superimposed title? It just drops your pacing to a halt -- the music stops, it feels like you're grinding down and then starting back up.

www.derekmok.com
September 21, 2006 07:56PM
Excellent suggestions ... will adopt as many as I can.
September 21, 2006 10:33PM
ok here goes:

1. feels like it wants to be "oh BROTHA where you AT?"
2. is this supposed to be the 1800's??? everyone is wearing polo and gap shirts???
September 22, 2006 12:19AM
Wayne, I know ... But I still had to do something with it. I have a dilemma, because just taking the 1893 off the first shot isn't going to work either. The story wouldn't make sense. Is there a way out?

And, oh, I haven't seen Brother, where art thou. LOL
September 22, 2006 12:35AM
you havent seen oh brother where art thou?!?!?!? dude, take a night off, pop a beer and enjoy!

ok, maybe i just have a habit of over simplifying things, but why the heck would you even get involved in shooting a movie about the 1800's if some actor shows up wearing a polo shirt??? why waste your time on shooting if something that fundamental is awry? for the love of God man, at least go down to the thrift store and get them something old linen shirt that could pass for older...

im starting to think you just enjoy making hellish situations for yourself. i say turn it into an audiobook and sell it on itunes. or repackage the whole thing as some alternate reality situation like "racism on planet beta7" or something like that. cause this boat just aint gonna sail as it is...
September 22, 2006 01:07AM
> just taking the 1893 off the first shot isn't going to work either. The story wouldn't make
> sense.

But putting your head in the sand and pretending those Gap shirts aren't there won't solve your problem.

I'd suggest doing a Lars Von Trier. Forget the 1800s setting in Georgia. Just make it a non-specific location and time, make it abstract, and make it look intentional.

www.derekmok.com
September 22, 2006 01:47AM
If I only knew motion or even shake, I could've re-done the costumes in CGI or something :-)

Well, you guys have been helpful. You always give me insight into something else I should be doing. LOL
September 22, 2006 02:02AM
dude, these issues go WAY beyond motion or shake! i agree with derek, the only answer here is to repackage the whole effort as some alternate reality with a historical parrallel

vic, dont take this the wrong way. but man - are you for real? i just dont see how anyone with as much experience in various phases of fimmaking as you [seem] to have, could make this many screamingly obvious, crippling fundamental mistakes...

this one is quite frankly - totally out of the realm of reason... its almost like shooting starwars with the princess in a poodleskirt. you can say all day that you didnt have the time or the budget to fix things - but what is the time and expense price of being saddled with something that ends up being all but an utter waste of time?
September 22, 2006 03:22AM
Alternate reality? Okay, tell me more. You mean like Twilight Zone?

Or maybe Derek has a solution. Sort of like this dude wakes up and he thinks he's back in 1800s and then ... er .. What? LOL
September 22, 2006 03:45AM
> Alternate reality? Okay, tell me more. You mean like Twilight Zone?

Not quite. Just don't try to relate the metaphorical world to the real world. Don't even do the "guy dreams" thing. Think about the themes you're trying to address. Use film techniques -- jarring juxtaposition, music, strange editing styles -- to create a sense of nonreality. Decenter the viewers to discourage them from relating the film to a naturalistic narrative, so that they're subliminally seduced into widening what they're willing to accept. Basically, a new set of rules for this world.

Take a look at:

Lar Von Trier's Manderlay and Dogville
Peter Greenaway's The Baby of Mâcon
Derek Jarman's Edward II
Tom Tykwer's Run Lola Run
Gaspar Noe's I Stand Alone
Christopher Nolan's Memento

The nonrealistic narrative structures and conceits for most ofl these films are not explained except for Memento, where the conceit is part of the main character's mindset. There's no "dreaming guy" -- the strangeness is *part* of the reality. (You could argue the multimedia elements and repeating structure of Run Lola Run is also in Lola's perspective, but that's not set in stone in the film) The films establish their styles early so that the audience is in on it. They are not trying to be something they're not, and they put their strangeness right in your face in the beginning so that you accept and interpret it as part of the film's framework. It's a dramatic theory that goes all the way to Bertolt Brecht and his concept of Verfremdung (alienation), the deliberate use of self-conscious, illogical elements to detach the viewer, as a means of focusing attention on the thematic content rather than the seductive nature of naturalistic, suspended-disbelief narrative.

www.derekmok.com
September 22, 2006 04:06AM
I'm blown out of the water, Derek :-) All this because one of the actors forgot to remove his polo shirt... LOL But seriously I'm going to rent these movies. I've been desperately trying to find something to watch lately. There's nothing in the cinemas I want to watch these days.

So this is a great solution -- honestly -- even though I don't have to shoot the whole movie like an alternate reality (shall we say) -- this was just a promo I did; the movie's not shot yet. So, Wayne, don't worry (on my behalf :-) I'm going to make sure the actors wear period costumes.

I had only a couple of hours to shoot the promo, so I picked a few of the dramatic scenes.

I appreciate you guys giving me all this marvelous advice -- especially you Derek. I think you liked something of this story, and I take that as a compliment -- mild as it may be :-)

Okay, so I can actually improve the trailer without having to start all over again. I really can't do anything about the footage at this date. But I can go a little nuts editing the piece a lot more creatively -- just as an exercise. I might learn a lot from it.

I'm not being facetious; this trailer could be a great learning tool for me.
September 22, 2006 04:12AM
if youre going to do any additional shooting, it would be an additional "shot in the foot" to change anything as far as wardrobe goes. keep everything like it is and capitalize on that angle.

to change anything now, would kill the whole alternate reality thing - at least IMO...
September 22, 2006 10:22AM
> this was just a promo I did; the movie's not shot yet.

Whoa whoa...you haven't shot the film yet?

That changes things.

First, I'd take a step back. Did you do a director's notebook on the actual film? Talked to a cinematographer?

Then I disagree with Wayne. You should reshoot. In fact, I think you should reshoot most of this trailer.

The riverbank is visually a pretty good location. Comb through your current footage, avoid the modern elements (some of their speech patterns are also very contemporary), and focus on what looks best, forget the dialogue. But chances are you will only have one piece of the riverbank in there, anywhere between five and 15 seconds, *maybe* two pieces. Any more and the location will wear itself out.

Now take the best, most varied scenes in your film and shoot it in a more ambitious way. All three of the pieces you've shown to us have a handheld indie approach. That's okay, but you need to vary your angles. You tend to shoot your actors from exactly the same angles, and when you cut that into your trailer, the weakness shows. Get closer for the emotional scenes, closer than the MCUs you're doing. Widen out and include both characters when appropriate. Block them so they're not just standing around. You almost always shoot your dialogue scenes in singles fairly far off from the line of tension.

Pick scenes that show different emotions, and concentrate on which scenes can make your characters sympathetic. If your trailer shows people we wouldn't be interested in watching, your marketing has already failed.

In other words, you have to do your director's homework.

Most importantly, even if you haven't shot the whole film yet, you have to have the whole film in your head to know what to shoot for a trailer/teaser. For example, when Rob Cohen was shopping around his package for Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, he shot a teaser -- and did *not* utilize the approach I described above, ie. a standard trailer. Instead, he shot Jason Scott Lee in a well-lit, well-choreographed fight scene which was exciting and kinetic. Using that, Cohen proved to potential financiers that Jason Scott Lee can fight, and that Cohen can direct, and the film will be entertaining. Great strategy. By focusing on one strong scene, he allowed himself to pour all his resources into making a fantastic single scene instead of a bunch of low-budget ones. And the strategy is symbolic of the film he was trying to make, a less conventional biopic that had high-entertainment action elements.

And buy or rent some appropriate costumes. Or, envision the film differently. If you're addressing current or historical issues with contemporary characters, then you can use all the Gap shirts you want. However, I'd still question the wisdom of putting Gap shirts on characters who, judging by their actions in the scenes, don't appear to be all that well off on the social ladder.

www.derekmok.com
September 22, 2006 11:35AM
Great analysis and advice. Every point you make is well supported. I like your renewed approach to criticism :-)

I copied your remarks and I'm going to study them when I resume this project. Here are some things regarding the project I can tell you ... if you care to know:

The story takes place in the 1800s. So I have to use realistic costumes, props, locations, style of acting, etc. The cinematography has to be re-considered apart from this trailer. (I've been thinking of shooting it in B&W.) This was just something I did to show to one investor, and, as you have guessed, it wasn't a successful presentation. I should've concentrated on one element of the story -- which I still don't know what it is. LOL But I must find out what's the best approrach now.

My hope was that by floating this teazer I'd get some kind of reactions that would help me navigate the way to producing this movie.

Wayne is right, there is the question: why do this story in the first place. Personally I think there's something to this story that makes it compelling, it seems a unique aspect of racism to me; i.e., it opens up another window on what happened in the late 1800s during the reconstruction days after the Civil War.

If you can think of a new angle for me to pursue judging from this trailer let me know. You've already been very helpful, so I'm not expecting a lot more. ... I appreciate it.
September 22, 2006 11:51AM
now hold on vic, i never said that this was by definition a "waste of time". my point was simply that if the rest of the production staff couldnt be bothered to get all their ducks in a row that it may not be worth your effort to be involved.

here is something you may not have considered. if this is a period piece and thus must be convincing - ALL of the sets are going to have to be period specific as well. you cant run down the highway and get a shot and there be a powerlines in the background.

if this is another of your "one man efforts", you have to ask yourelf if you have the pre-production muscle to get all the little very important details adequately buttoned down... like if you need buildings, do you have access to sets or historical locations. are the actors able to deliver period accurate performances - like you cant have them "axeing" each other questions.

i think from all your stuff ive seen, that you tend to jump the gun and start shooting things that havent been thoroughly planned out. this one may be a definite handful. and you have to ask yourself if this story really offers a unique enough take that your potiential audience is going to care to begin with in order to justify your time and effort?
September 22, 2006 11:53AM
as a side note, i was beginning to dig the idea of the "alternate reality" angle. definitely a bold move from a stylistic standpoint - even if it started as a mistake...

or maybe it could be set in present times, just in a very backward part of the country. in certian areas, little has changed racially since the 1800's... just a thought
September 22, 2006 07:10PM
Yeah, Wayne, that appeals to me, because then anything goes, right? LOL

Well, I like the idea of shooting felliniesque. So I'd have to analyze the way Derek does and justify every crazy idea I come up with to do something very creative.

I think my actors would enjoy doing something creative with a back to the future on the subject of racism.

My head is spinning with ideas; I better sit down. Oops, I'm sitting down. LOL
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics