My short on iFilm.com

Posted by evan_rose 
My short on iFilm.com
October 26, 2006 03:18PM
Hello,

I recently uploaded my short "NOW WHAT?" onto iFilm and (shockingly) entered it into the "Now What?" contest.

I used Compressor to output into Quicktime 7, but I believe iFilm converts everything into Flash now.

The length is 2:00.

link:
[www.ifilm.com]

This is my first narrative, be kind :-)

Peace,
Evan
Re: My short on iFilm.com
October 26, 2006 04:52PM
Hey Evan,

Pretty enjoyable overall. Suggestions:

1. If you process the footage with a frame-rate simulation, it would probably enhance the "silent-film" motif.

2. Could consider also adding some noise to the music for a vintage effect.

3. Another "silent-film" touch that would help the comedy: Judicious use of sound effects. Part of what makes silent comedies funny was that most activities didn't have sound effects (no sync sound), but some did. What's more, the effects tended to sound the same from film to film. How many times have you heard the "strawberry" bloop in Chaplin films?

4. The opening titles need work. Never go with the default font given to you by the editing application. Design those suckers! Also, lower left was not a good choice for the titles, because your main character was getting up in that position.

5. More of the ending. I get it right now, but it's supposed to be a payoff to everything. Take a bit more time.

www.derekmok.com
October 26, 2006 05:33PM
That was very good. Loved the Ferret and the clown was very unexpected. Music was perfect. Would of liked a bit more payoff as Derek suggested but very nice work all around. Made me smile. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 26, 2006 07:05PM
Thanks for the responses, and for the website. It's been extremly helpful whenever I hit a bump in the FCP road :-)

Peace,
Evan
October 26, 2006 09:19PM
It reminded me a lot of an early versions of 'The Goodies'. Especially the bit with the ferret. That was Tim Brooke Taylor to a T. Do you guys get The Goodies over there? Madcap British 70s comedy.

Excellent change on the music when the clown enters, and I liked the backwards track up beside the car - tricky! How many times did you have to do that one?

I agree that more sfx would have been good - just to give a bit more depth to the soundtrack and to punctuate the slapstick a bit.

It made me smile too.

October 27, 2006 11:00AM
Lol, I actually did the moving shot in one take...running backwards...looking behind me lol.

It was the last shot of the day and was getting dark (you can see I had to tweak brightness settings a little).

Thanks for the kind words.

Peace,
Evan

[www.ifilm.com]
www.myspace.com/nowwhatmovie
October 27, 2006 11:41AM
> I actually did the moving shot in one take...running backwards...looking behind me

Very well done, my friend. When the wall and the car appeared, I think all of us probably started. Great wow factor.

Sometimes we forget that a "devil may care" shot, done guerilla-style by a maverick operator rather than 100 people in the crew, can just nail us. Just look at that madcap opening in Narc. It took an operator with no experience to do it right...the professional camera operators on the crew were too smooth!

www.derekmok.com
October 27, 2006 11:52PM
Thanks for all the encouragement and support....we just got put on the main page:

www.ifilm.com/nowwhat/vote

I know I've shilled enough, but if you get a chance, we're the one in black and white simply titled "NOW WHAT?".

Even if you don't vote, I still appreciate the encouragement.

Thanks again!!!

-Evan
October 30, 2006 11:50PM
overall quite watchable - which is rare these days!
a few suggestions though...

1. darken the first scene. its too bright for me to buy that he's getting up. and that would also help in the titles visibility.
2. to really sell the slipping on the banana peel bit and stay true to form, id like to see a shot low to the ground looking up seeing the unicycle fly up into the air with a "SPROING" sound effect. i think this would lend a bit more "catastrophe" to the guys plight.
3. like derek said, a frame rate or flicker treatment with a slight more sepia touch would sell the effect a bit stronger.

im just being nitpicky though, overall a nice fun effort!
November 01, 2006 08:16PM
Thanks for (and to) your continued support and feedback we're in third (out of aprox. 100) and the contest ends Sunday.

Thanks guys!

-Evan

myspace.com/nowwhatmovie
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics