A short film

Posted by Shane Ross 
A short film
January 08, 2007 05:05AM
I am going to first show you a film I did two years ago...and yes, it is my latest work. This one I co-wrote with my wife, directed and edited (and held the reflector card). I rarely make my own films...I am so busy editing others for a living. And hanging with the family. ANYWAY, this is my latest short film that was 4th in a series of 14 (the 6th is linked to mine). Even though it was part of a series, I made it so that it stood on it's own as well.

The series was an experiment of sorts...started on the APPLE FCP Forum. 14 of us decided to do a film where someone started the story, and then the next person filmed the next segment, then the next person another, and so on. The people involved had a wide variety of experience, from 30 years in the business to still in film school.

This was my submission. Shot by a pro DP (who didn't know my GL1 AT ALL, so it is a little blown out), acted by two professional actors (SAG even) with audio recorded by a professional....colorist.

Next week, when I return from MacWorld, i will post the first films I did when I was 10, then the film I did right out of college. Just to show people that there is a metamorphosis that happens. That you don't start out great...that your first films will be clumsy and have issue, like shooting WITHOUT professional actors...resorting to my brother-in-law.

But I talk too much...here is the short:

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: A short film
January 08, 2007 10:08AM
Interesting...I've always wanted to do something like that, the "narrative musical chairs" thing.

I thought it was good, acting-wise, setup-wise, made us ask questions. There was only one moment I didn't like, which was when Carl mentioned Claire's death and Ella's response was purely annoyance. I thought the dimension of how she feels about her sister is missing and the beat could be more nuanced. But that's it.

Does the boyfriend looke like Mark-Paul Gosselaar or what!?

www.derekmok.com
January 08, 2007 01:56PM
Hee. AJ Trauth was a DIsney Channel regular...but yeah, I can see the Mark-Paul in him.

And this goes to show why I don't direct, because those subtle nuances escape me on the set. I can find them in the edit bay, but on the set I can seem to figure out that I need them. I'll stick to editing.

Or shoot more and practice more.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 08, 2007 02:03PM
> those subtle nuances escape me on the set. I can find them in the edit bay, but on the set I
> can seem to figure out that I need them.

Hear, hear. When a good friend of mine saw my thesis film, she said, "It's good, but next time, stop thinking like an editor and start thinking like a director." It was one of the most astute comments about my work I'd ever heard. I was going too much for results and not enough for process. By contrast, my directing partner Randy constantly allows his actors to surprise him; he's not seeing the end result of the acting. And so the acting in his films is much more fluid and complex. Technical-minded creative people, on the other hand (DP and editor, especially), are so used to thinking in terms of the final stage of what they want to see that they can sometimes go about things in a stiffer way. That precision is needed in those lines of work -- exactitude of lighting, precision of timing and beats in editing -- but can be detrimental when we move to directing live, flesh-and-blood people.

But the acting really was quite good, Shane. You believe them. It might have been just a matter of taking Ella in different directions so she doesn't do "frustrated nervous" through the whole scene, to leave some room for a) her relationship with her sister and b) her relationship with Carl.

One of these things, LAFCPUG should do this exercise. It'd be a hell of an interesting thing given our international membership.

www.derekmok.com
January 08, 2007 05:02PM
so whats in the mother f-ing BOX!?!?!?!??!
January 08, 2007 07:08PM
Great idea Shane. I'll try and dig out one of my first year films to show.

January 08, 2007 11:05PM
> so whats in the mother f-ing BOX!?!?!?!??!

Gwyneth Paltrow's head.

I like everything about Seven except that damn ending.

In this case, presumably, somebody else down the narrative line would answer that question.

www.derekmok.com
January 13, 2007 12:10AM
Bravo Shane!!!!

very good choice of actors and music. it immediately catches your attention. the writing was quite believable. and i like the basic cam work rather than trying to find obscure angles to give it the feel. i would say that the power point of this was the actors and writing.

is this a part of something larger?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
January 14, 2007 01:55AM
This was part of something larger. film 4 in a series of...16 I think was the final tally. It went a little astray, but was fun.

What was in the box? Well, according to the next person, a computer chip with Ella's memories and "being." She, in essence, was encoded into a chip. As I said, it went a bit astray. Started out as some sort of "job" that a group a people had done. That piece ended with news that "she is still alive, you know." Then it went onto a piece about some cloak an dagger goings on where a guy gets a key from someone and retrieves a box from a bus station locker. Mine was suppoed to be that Claire got the box BEFORE he did.

BUT, I might take this and do something with it, if I get the gumption. I want the box to be a McGuffin (much like in RONIN) and deal with personal conflicts. But, this will prove difficult as both my actors are SAG. They both are up for it, but...need a venue.

And yes, I agree, they did a great job. And thanks for the writing comments. My wife will love to hear that.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 17, 2007 08:23AM
I liked it.

It had a professional feel to it. Since it was a short film I did not have any expectations for it to be complete. I think short films, like short stories, are a genre unto themselves; they can't be judged according to feature film standards of story and grasp.

It definitely showed potential. I think, Shane, you should go for it and make a feature film. Man, you're too good to be editing other people's movies ... forever. LOL
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics