re: Short, uh, "film" circa 1998

Posted by derekmok 
re: Short, uh, "film" circa 1998
January 08, 2007 11:45AM
Diggin' into the Hall of Shame...this was a film-school exercise I shot in my first year there, 1998.

With friends.

On SVHS. Oooh.

Then captured into Adobe Premiere 4 at 1000kbps, spat back out onto VHS, and then transferred to Mini-DV.

I could've tried to clean it up somewhat, but I decided to show it, warts and all. Besides, this thing is terminal, so might as well leave it alone.

Feel free to make fun...I do!

[www.derekmok.com]

www.derekmok.com
Re: re: Short, uh, "film" circa 1998
January 08, 2007 04:57PM
oh MY GOD! derek, that was b.r.u.t.a.l!

a joy to watch though, in a totally masochistic kinda way
January 08, 2007 07:48PM
Haa ha ha. Nice punchline. I'll bet the young guy went on to do more stuff. His reactions were pretty good for a student film.

And that looks like almost all the undergrad films I've ever seen. A very good representational piece. smiling smiley

January 08, 2007 08:18PM
> I'll bet the young guy went on to do more stuff.

He was a comic book artist/filmmaker from the film school!

That said, he did go on to do the other piece I posted, Hara-Kiri.

> And that looks like almost all the undergrad films I've ever seen.

Heh heh, I was in grad school when I made that. First year. But I had an excuse: My only photography experience before that year was Film 101 in undergrad, and that was such a poor program that:

a) The TA told us Basic Instinct was the first truly evil femme fatale in history (!);

b) We had to rent our own VHS cameras, the film department didn't have any of its own equipment; and

c) We weren't allowed to edit at all for our final projects. In-camera editing only. Maybe I became an editor just to flip off those guys.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2007 12:04AM
Bloody hell, Derek. Are you sure you were actually in a school that taught film? No equipment, no editing, and .. Basic Instinct? lol. That's terrible!

I was lucky to be in a school attached to the state performing arts academy - by third year we got to use the musicians, actors and writers for our films. Now I do some teaching at that school to post grads, and their work is just great. They use good talent, shoot HDV, get industry pros as mentors, use a huge studio of a local TV station, have proper sets, lights, mikes and cut on FCP. I think quite a few of them go straight into jobs, which is hard to do here in such a small market.

February 02, 2007 04:15PM
Did you take it down? I missed it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 02, 2007 04:30PM
I took them off to free up space on my FTP. They're back up. Heh heh.

[www.derekmok.com]

[www.derekmok.com]

www.derekmok.com
February 07, 2007 02:13PM
OK...saw them both. Thank you.

Saw Hari Kari when you first posted. Didn't see the other. Hee...that was silly.

I am not showing my student work. There is a reason I don't direct...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics