My first film...sorta.

Posted by Shane Ross 
My first film...sorta.
January 31, 2007 03:35PM
My first films were actually done when I was 10 using my stuffed animals and were heavily based on Star Wars. I will not subject you to those films.

However, this is my first independant film that I shot while in film school that WASN'T a class project. I bought leftover film from several classmates and shot this film in one day in Washington DC. The main character is my wife...who at the time wasn't even my fianceé. The other two people are my brother-in-law and his wife. They aren't actors, and it shows. My wife however, is, so it has SOME value.

And yes, I got the rights to the music. Exhibition rights only.

[homepage.mac.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: My first film...sorta.
January 31, 2007 08:13PM
Oh, damn H.264 and my QuickTime 6! I'm dying to see this.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2007 11:55PM
Oh LORDY Derek, why are you in the middle ages?

Fine, I'll do a Sorenson. Won't look as good.

Sheesh.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 01, 2007 12:13AM
> Oh LORDY Derek, why are you in the middle ages?

Cackle cackle. Been holding off on actually installing my crossgrades (new FCP discs, Tiger, everything) because I haven't properly backed up my current system drive yet. I should just bite the bullet and do it.

Come to think of it, my setup is about 32 months old, isn't it? Didn't FCP5 come out around late 2004?

www.derekmok.com
February 01, 2007 12:18AM
2004? No. 2006...

ANYWAY...here is a QT 6 friendly version...

[homepage.mac.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 01, 2007 12:47AM
Look at the sorenson one everyone...the H.264 is badly interlaced for some reason.

I'll remove it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 01, 2007 12:52AM
No, can't be 2006. I started working for my most frequent commercial client around October 2005. They were already on FCP5.

From Wikipedia:

[en.wikipedia.org]

May 2006 is the date they gave.

Whoa, wobbly camera! But you guys got to use film! I didn't operate a film camera for a project until 2000, two years into film school.

And we always put our titles too high when we're starting out, don't we? |}

www.derekmok.com
February 01, 2007 01:10AM
THPHTHPHTHPHTHPH! 2006. Nyah!

Hey, what can I say? I was going for the "amateur home movie" look like I saw in the JFK assassination films. I think this film inspired the FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS camera guys...I seriously do.

Yes...film. We got to work with film in our first class...8mm. Nothing beats the actual use of film Makes you seem to work harder, knowing that you have a limited supply, and that you need to really make it look good. I had 3 different film stocks in there too. This was shot with a Bolex H16 reflex camera, that I still have sitting on my shelf here. NICE camera.

And yes...what is it with us and our titles?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 01, 2007 05:38AM
Ooops, I meant May 2005!

I think it can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, there's history and power in a film camera, and of course you get more textured imagery while the weight of the camera settles your nerves and makes it look less like a home movie. But at the same time, shooting on video can also focus the filmmaker, since your images won't be as automatically pretty anymore. You have to work harder.

My director partner and I had a good, successful run with his thesis film, shot on DVCam NTSC, and one fellow classmate, a producer, actually told us we shouldn't have shot any wide shots on DV because DV lacks detail. Talk about closed minded. If my partner hadn't been so fond of Kurosawa and done lots of symmetrical wides, the film would've looked very boring -- it's a 24-minute drama, fer crying out loud. No wides for 24 minutes?

Nobody else who watched the film -- filmmakers or non-filmmakers -- gave a crap about that. We won in a landslide against two 35mm films costing over twice as much each at the Student Academy Awards, according to the voting members.

But if we had the money? Sure, we would've shot on 35mm.

Shane, what was it like watching that big-screen? The jitters must have been even more crushing when not confined to a computer screen!

www.derekmok.com
February 01, 2007 10:06AM
Just goes to show you that STORY IS KING. Doesn't matter what format you shoot, if the story is compelling, people with watch.

This never showed on the big screen. I edited it on 3/4" decks and the best people saw this was on DVD. If it were on the BIG screen I am sure it would have has a BLAIR WITCH effect and made people ill.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 01, 2007 08:52PM
I love the themic whip pans on the drum roll sections. Great kitch factor.

How come there's an Avid credit at the end?

February 01, 2007 09:22PM
Because it was offlined on an Avid. I then took the EDL and used it to online the film on the 3/4" online bay. 3/4"....online bay. That is an oxymoron.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 15, 2007 08:39PM
I dont think I got the story but it was nicely shot and well edited.
Music was cool as well.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
March 15, 2007 08:46PM
I don't think that I got the story either. lol

Mainly just wanted to shoot something.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 18, 2007 08:34PM
Oh well.

It does look cool at least.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
March 19, 2007 01:46AM
Nah...I know what it is about. A young "spy" sneaks off with information on a floppy disk. Thinks she is being followed, dumps the disk. Turns out she isn't. DOH moment.

I think the floppy might have thrown you. VERY old technology.

Or the fact that I ain't a great director. Thus the reason I have done TWO films in 10 years.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics