Do you'all do any reviews of movies in these forums?

Posted by PhillyFilmmaker 
Do you'all do any reviews of movies in these forums?
February 05, 2007 01:17PM
I was wondering if anyone had seen Alpha Dog yet?

I was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for when watching a movie for ideas and such. Technique....how the editing is...

I also have trouble figuring out whether the acting is decent or not? What do you look for?

I want to improve my editing and camera skills so that when I make my own stuff, the next one will be better than the previous one. The nedt 48 hour film project is coming up in March and I want to be prepared.

Thanks!!
P.S. What do youz think of those RyanvDorkman lightsaber movies??
Re: Do you'all do any reviews of movies in these forums?
February 07, 2007 11:18AM
1. I haven't watched it yet.

2. ummm.. There's a lot of things... but my opinion is at first you should take easy. If you put focus on finding techniques, styles, you won't much enjoy the story.
My suggestion is if you like certain movie, you watch several times.

For me, I take a note whenever I see scenes that hit me.

3. I think you just know he/she is not right role in this movie. Don't you talk about acting and movie on the dinner table?

4. I will give you list of movies in ext post. I have dozen or so in my mind.

bye..

P.S. I haven't watched it yet.
February 07, 2007 11:50AM
Don't analyze a movie on first watch. Just try to enjoy it, like any person who goes to the movies or rents a DVD. Absorb the plot, pacing, emotions, etc. Then, the second or third time you watch it, now that you're aware of what the whole film encompasses thematically and narratively, look at how the filmmakers set these things up. If you tried to analyze a film the first time, you'll end up with a lot of false preconceptions. One of the holy grails of my film studies/teachings, Total Recall, takes multiple screenings before you realize how well constructed it is, especially in terms of script and camera movement.

www.derekmok.com
February 07, 2007 02:10PM
I am like Derek...I first watch to enjoy. I got into this business because of my love of film, and if I just go to films to critique them, then I won't enjoy them. But...if I saw a film I really liked, then I'll watch it again...and then again. Third time more critically. I would even buy the DVD so that I can rewind it and watch a scene over again. (I had a dream once where I paused a movie in a theatre so that I could use the restroom, then rewound it a bit when I got back. Audience was ANGRY!)

The acting is good if you don't see them acting. If they just ARE that person. Some actors will always be "Jim Carey" or "Harrison Ford," But great actors are ones who are completely different everytime you see them. Leonardo DiCaprio is one. Val Kilmer (yes...look at him in THE DOORS for a prime example)...Kevin Spacey, Judy Dench, Frances McDormand...for example (according to me).

And yes, the lightsabre movie was fun. For a fight film...well choreographed.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 07, 2007 03:45PM
1.Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography
---> This is documentary of Hollywood Cinematography. I highly recommend this.
One point it talks about the shots that accidentally created.

When I go out shooting something, I find and get new ideas and start to add or improvise.

2. Cinema Paradiso (Never, Never watch Director's cut!!!!)
----> I cried, I cried. It's like watching me. A samll boy's dream and love of movie.
This movie will put gas/passion of the movie more.

I saved my lunch money to watch movies. I used to be very skinny. =)

3. Ed Wood
----> A movie about the Hollywood director. This is non-fiction. Describes how one's life passion keeps him going.. going going going like a battery commercial.

4 Girl with a pearl earring
-----> It has like only 10 mins of dialogue. Still, very visual and beautiful.

5. The New World
-----> Same as 4

6. The five obstructions
-----> Filmmaker /video artist, some point, has to have dialogue with client or producer. It means that possibly it's limiting ability/creativity of artist. (For example, he/she likes to change your most important scenes, what will you do?) In my classroom, we had many debates on how we can present our works with others. I think this one can be interesting for you.

7. Baraka
-----> This is documentary film that I love very much.
The movie displays the weight, slow movement of big camera. Many of student (video, filmmakers) have small light digital camcorder. If you watch this movie carefully, you will see the presence of camera weight and tis movement.

Also, the film is about life and death.

8. Stan Brakhage - Anthology
-----> What do you like in your life? What do you want to create? Brakhage created 400 films in his life. Many of his works are about life and death, light and shadow. It's his passion that keep creating similar theme films over and over. It's sometimes painful to watch slow slow slow film for 1 hour. Have a coffee with you!!

I also realized that my works have many recurring themes. Life and death, shadow and light, etc.

9. 3 iron
-----> it's Korean movie. You will love it. Beautiful cinematography...

10. Oldboy
----> Just watch it!!! Please...

I might have more movies for you. I just wrote down lists from my head now. Maybe, you already watched most of my lists..

If you haven't, you must watch #1, #2, and #7.

Best regards,
February 07, 2007 04:46PM
I share the same opinion, enjoy first and analyse later.
One of the steps of analysing a movie is watching it without sound, turning the volume down helps to focus the editing process.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
February 07, 2007 05:30PM
If you have a camera handy whose footage you can cut (ie. have the equipment), here are some great exercises I did back in film school:

1. TEN-SECOND SHORTS
Tell a complete story in 10 seconds. I had so much fun, I did eight of them, back to back. It also shows that opening titles, when used properly, are part of the structure and rhythm of the story.

2. CAMERA DISORIENTATION
Possibly the best exercise I've ever had to do. Do a short piece, two to five minutes, where for every single cut, your camera has to be in a different "orientation" every time. For example, if the first shot has the camera "normal", then for the next cut, the camera has to be upside down, or put sideways. Then the next cut has to be different from the last, etc. If you can keep continuity while doing this, then your pre-visualization is in very good shape. Even the storyboarding taught me a great deal, because you have to think about how the shot will turn out once your footage comes out -- your actor isn't entering from the sides anymore, he's entering from top or bottom. Out of a class of 14 people, only two of us did it, and successfully. The other guy remains my main director to this day.

3. AXIS BREAK
Shoot a piece involving a repetitive action with specific left-right activity (eg. holding a broom). In Version 1, break the axis with the camera with every cut. In Version 2, have the actor switch hands in the activity with every cut. Look at both versions and see how much you notice the breaks.

4. SEQUENCE SHOT
Do an extend scene of at least three minutes in one shot, no cuts, no transitions, no coverage. If you can ace "in-camera editing", both your shooting and your directing will advance rapidly.

Philly, having seen your works, I think you'll get the most out of #2 and #3.

www.derekmok.com
February 08, 2007 08:31AM
This is great!!

thanks dudes!!
February 15, 2007 11:35AM
Very refreshing.

I enjoyed your ideas, h077314 :-)

Personally, I've changed the way I view movies over the years.

When I was a film student I used to watch all films for technique. I rarely watched movies a second time -- there was no DVDs then ... or VHS. LOL. I was a student at SF State in the late 60s.

Then after several years of working in the feature film industry as cinematographer and editor, I began watching movies normally -- like the average movie-goer. I stopped looking for techniques.

Now after 35 years of making my living as a filmmaker, I forget about film techniques when I'm watching a movie that I like immediately.

But when I dislike a movie after the first few minutes, I look only for techniques -- I know that's all I'll get out of spending $10 on a ticket and $10 on popcorn and drink. LOL

I can always analyze movies after I see them ... usually just after I leave the theater I can't help sharing my ideas with my wife. We usually agree on films.

What I miss the most is European films -- like Fellini, Bunuel, Malle, Godard, Bergman, Kubrick (later films), Bertolucci, Antonioni -- have I forgotten someone? My memory ain't what it used to be :-)
Re: filmman's post..
February 15, 2007 12:02PM
When I was in Korea, there was a lot of second or third rate theaters. They showed 2 different movies in every week. I paid like one or two dollars.

The film was very damaged, dirty and badly censored!!! The audiences were spitting on the floor. It was smelly, a lot of cussing, moaning, wet cement floor.........

I still remember one particular moment.. it was an action flick, finally a hero met a girl.. they were kissing and was getting on but the scene changed to new scene..
All audiences were saying "No.... woo..." in harmony in disappointment.

If one theater showed "AAA" and "BBB", the other theater showed "AAA" and "CCC".
What I am trying to say is there was number of possibilities of watching same movie over and over or totally new movies.

I enjoyed such days. I took bus for an hour to get to the particular movie theater.

------------

About European movies, time to time I watch European movies. A couple of month ago, I watched "Day for a night." I love that movie.

nice to talk you!!
February 15, 2007 01:59PM
Yeah, Truffaut's Day for Night was interesting because to some extent it was made for movie people. That's what I like about European movies; it's not all about money.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics